Looking for reccomendations.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Looking for reccomendations.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2008, 07:03 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for reccomendations.

Hello all, I just recently got into shooting and I don't have a clue of where to start. I bought my first gun on a whim as it seemed like it was a good deal. I would like to continue to make wise purchases as I buy more guns. So my question is this. What do you recommend? I am a gun newbie and I know very little about them. I have only shot 3 guns in my entire life and they were all .22 long rifles. I am wanting to buy a hand gun and was leaning toward one that takes .22 long bullets so I can use the same ammo in both my Marlin model 60 and whatever I get next.
I will mainly use the gun for target practice. I am trying to keep the money as low as possible without getting something that is unreliable and will be a headache to clean, maintain, and use. Well I hope you all will help to steer me in the right direction. Thanks.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-16-2008, 11:44 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

A Ruger Single Six might suit you well. It's a single action .22 revolver (you have to manually cock the hammer before each shot) that is simple to shoot and maintain. Prices aren't bad on new ones and you should be able to track down a used one with some effort.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 05-16-2008, 12:43 PM   #3

Thanks for the tip Flint Rock.

I am going to go check them out (online anyway) and see what I can find out about them. Just to be sure, is this http://www.thegunsource.com/store/item/7787_Hand_Guns_Pistols_Ruger_Ruger__Super_Single__ Six_.aspx
the gun you are talking about?

I should have mentioned to everyone that $400.00 and under is the price range I am interested in looking at. The lower the better of course without getting a piece of junk.

Thanks for the advice, are there any more guns/models that I should take a look at all?

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Last edited by painted_klown; 05-16-2008 at 12:45 PM.

Old 05-16-2008, 04:57 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

That's it. Smith & Wesson and Ruger both make new .22 autoloader pistols that are in your price range, and most people never have any problems with them, but they are a little more involved than the Ruger Single Six.

There is in life perhaps one fleeting moment when the courage, dedication and resolve of one man gambling against all odds will alter the destiny of nations.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:20 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I agree with the Ruger Single 6. If you reall feel you must have a semi-auto the Ruger MK11. In my oppenion these are the 2 best in their class for accuracy and value. I own both and they shoot far better than you can hold them.

Catfish
Ohio

Old 05-17-2008, 04:45 PM   #6

Thanks for the help gentlemen. It is greatly appreciated.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:22 PM   #7

I would go with a double action revolver next .

While single actions especially Rugers are fine guns I consider them to more of either a serious hunting weapon if in a substantial caliber or a nostalgia gun/toy if one has grown up watching westerns and something that can be acquired after guns that have an intended purpose .

At some point in your young life you will come to the brutal realization that the world is a dangerous place and nowhere is truly safe and this is the reason the majority of us own guns . At that moment your focus will be on serious weaponry and if money is tight and your collection still limited you will kick yourself for buying a less than adequate arm for the same money one would have cost you .

I suggest a 4 inch barreled 357 magnum that can be fired with 38 specials to acquire the skills needed with a handgun for either defense or even hunting if that may be in you future .

Taurus makes fine guns and a model 66 would be just the ticket in 357 , if you insist on a 22 they have the model 94 a 9 shot double action revolver .

If you can hold off and spend a bit more Smith & Wesson makes excellent guns that will be of higher quality than a Taurus although it is debatable if the quality is high enough to account for the increased price for a new gun .

good luck

Old 05-18-2008, 12:42 AM   #8

Smith & Wesson 22A can be had in several barrel lengths and color combos in a price range of $240 to $300 including shipping from Buds Guns. Nice for target or hunting, easy to mount a scope or other optics, cheap to shoot 22lr.
I have been very happy with mine. John. Here is the link to Buds.
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/advanced_search_result.php?keywords=22a&osCsid=1fc 7043c234bec2f91b3df1ee551e4f8&x=16&y=11

It's not the size of the dog in the fight-It's the size of the fight in the dog.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:33 AM   #9

Hey all, I was at the local gun shop today and they had a Ruger Mark II for $240.00. It was used but that seemed like a good deal to me. What do you guys think? Should I go for it? (they also had a mark III for like $15 or so bucks more)
Thanks for all the help and advice.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:13 AM   #10

The Rugers are great semiauto 22's both rifle and pistols but , I strongly suggest before you buy it you call Ruger and see what their repair policy is on second hand guns .

Autos are more prone to problems than revolvers and if it should have a problem you might want a general idea what you could be getting into .

Gunsmith work isn't cheap .