Looking for realiable Stainless Steel Pistol recommendations, can anyone advise?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Looking for realiable Stainless Steel Pistol recommendations, can anyone advise?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-07-2014, 11:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for realiable Stainless Steel Pistol recommendations, can anyone advise?

Hi everyone,
I live in a country on the other side of the sea where buying a gun is subject to very strict regulations and constraints. You must have a permit, have to renew it all the time, are limited to owning only a few hundred units of ammo and must keep the firearm locked inside a safe or a strong box during transport... Still, my days in the military made me realize that I enjoyed shooting for sport so I will soon join a club and obtain the necessary paperwork.

Growing social unrest and a lack of safety in my country mean that I often fear for my life when coming home late at night. And while I only intend to use this firearm for sport as the legislation allows of course I would very much like to have a gun that is ready for other uses should the law changes if you know what I mean. Should the law change or a civil war break out I would very much like to be able to defend myself and so I would like something extremely durable in stainless steel preferably with good accuracy, long range, no jamming (I once tried a P22 and god that thing would jam at least once per clip...) and enough power to stop for good with a single shot should the law change and allow for self defense. The ability to have it decorated would be a big plus but is by no means essential. My budget is the equivalent of $2500 maximum.

Do you gents have any advice or recommendations?

Thanks so much!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-07-2014, 11:47 AM   #2

Liked 2498 Times on 1423 Posts
Likes Given: 1946

I like the DE 44, but they are pricey.
About 1500 $ for a SS one, on a good
day.

Or, you could try either Smith & Wesson,

Smith & Wesson, or Smith & Wesson.

Then, of course, there is always Smith & Wesson...

Old 08-07-2014, 12:10 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1607 Times on 1100 Posts
Likes Given: 560

Your requirements would be difficult to fill with a pistol. Common handgun calibers are not known for their one shot stop capability. Sure you don't want a pump shotgun or a capable rifle? You can get a 44 mag revolver but most capable 44 mag pistols weigh 3 lb. Not to mention a 44mag is expensive to shoot and it is not a lot of fun. You might have problems with other range members who will not appreciate the muzzle blast.

Here is an article about a police officer that shot a suspect 14 times with a 45 acp. Most American police departments issue +P or +P+ ammunition. That means his 45 acp had a load equal to many 357 mag self defense loads.
http://www.policeone.com/patrol-issues/articles/6199620-Why-one-cop-carries-145-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job/

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 08-07-2014 at 12:14 PM.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:12 PM   #4

Liked 2200 Times on 1296 Posts
Likes Given: 479

If you are living in Europe, then a good pistol that would have readily available parts, accessories, and knowledgable gunsmith support available. Browning Hi-Power, CZ-75, Sig Sauer seem like good choices. If a revolver is in order, then a S&W in .357 mag, or .44 mag would work as well. Magnum ammo can be pricey, but the ability to use low power loads for target work makes these revolvers very versitile.

I never would count on a handgun stopping a threat in one shot.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:23 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1960 Times on 1361 Posts
Likes Given: 1001

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGent View Post
Hi everyone,
I live in a country on the other side of the sea where buying a gun is subject to very strict regulations and constraints. You must have a permit, have to renew it all the time, are limited to owning only a few hundred units of ammo and must keep the firearm locked inside a safe or a strong box during transport... Still, my days in the military made me realize that I enjoyed shooting for sport so I will soon join a club and obtain the necessary paperwork.

Growing social unrest and a lack of safety in my country mean that I often fear for my life when coming home late at night. And while I only intend to use this firearm for sport as the legislation allows of course I would very much like to have a gun that is ready for other uses should the law changes if you know what I mean. Should the law change or a civil war break out I would very much like to be able to defend myself and so I would like something extremely durable in stainless steel preferably with good accuracy, long range, no jamming (I once tried a P22 and god that thing would jam at least once per clip...) and enough power to stop for good with a single shot should the law change and allow for self defense. The ability to have it decorated would be a big plus but is by no means essential. My budget is the equivalent of $2500 maximum.

Thanks so much!
I would recommend a SIG SAUER P-series. The decocker operation I think is better in an all-purpose handgun than the traditional DA/SA or SAO. Stainless steel will ring it up to $1200 give or take.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #6

Liked 1845 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 1215

I own and sometimes carry a Smith & Wesson 629. That is a 44 magnum. It is heavy. But I can carry it without any trouble. Another thing you should consider is ammo availability. Check you local gun store. Find out what ammo is in stock. If you can't find 44 magnum ammo, don't buy a 44 mag.

This is a 629. It is a pic from the internet. I don't have a pic of mine on this computer.

File Type: jpg 629.jpg (5.0 KB, 79 views)

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 08-07-2014, 12:40 PM   #7
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 505 Times on 260 Posts
Likes Given: 363

I kinda like the Taurus Raging Judge in SS - less than a grand, and handles several different kinds of ammo, which can be a great advantage when you are only allowed a single weapon -

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=702&category=Revolver

Terry

Jesus Christ told me to be armed.
The government wants me disarmed.
Guess which one I will obey?

Old 08-07-2014, 01:04 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2811 Times on 1637 Posts
Likes Given: 1638

CountryGeny - Welcome, here are some ideas and a little eyecandy:

1)Ruger SR1911 in .45 acp.
2)Sig Sauer 1911 in .45 acp.
3)Sig Sauer P226 in 9mm
4) Sig Sauer ? in .380 acp.
5)CZ 75B in 9mm
6)Ruger Match Champion in .357 mag.
7)Smith & Wesson 686 in .357 mag.
and jic 8)S&W X-Frame in .500 S&W

File Type: jpg ss.jpg (27.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg ss1.jpg (30.8 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg ss2.jpg (29.5 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg ss3.jpg (25.5 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg ss4.jpg (24.9 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg ss5.jpg (29.2 KB, 74 views)
File Type: jpg ss6.jpg (29.1 KB, 73 views)
File Type: jpg ss7.jpg (28.7 KB, 74 views)

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

We are all biodegradable.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:27 PM   #9

Liked 625 Times on 372 Posts
Likes Given: 1659

If you are in Europe, the CZ75 is king over there. That or a pistol from the SigSauer P series.

If a revolver is in order take a look at the Smith&Wesson Performance Center. Something in .357mag would be great, maybe an R8, 627, or a 586. It doesn't get much better than that.

Old 08-07-2014, 01:37 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21583 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountryGent View Post
Hi everyone,

Thanks so much!
welcome to FTF CountryGent!
stop over in the Introductions Section when you get a chance and say hello to everyone.

without knowing the laws in your country, it may be hard to make an informed suggestion as to a good recommendation. different countries have different restrictions. the good thing is we have members here at FTF from all over the world and knowing what country you are in, maybe someone close to you may have some good recommendations that may be of help.

also, it's hard for a pistol to serve too many functions and most are more designed for a specific usage. might need to define the most important manner in which the pistol is to used and realize the others would more than likely be a compromise.