Looking to purchase my first handgun. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Looking to purchase my first handgun.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-27-2010, 04:54 AM   #11
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 7,066
Liked 2401 Times on 1289 Posts
Likes Given: 861

Default

If you want to go with a revolver, I'd recommend planning on a .357. It is by far the most flexible caliber... revolver or semi-auto. You can shoot cheap .38's for practice and plinking, and carry .357 or .38+P.

For semi auto, I'm partial to the .40 myself, but I'll eventually pick up a 9mm. The cost of shooting 9 is about as inexpensive as you can get this side of .22.

__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:03 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skullcrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio,Ohio
Posts: 10,949
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunerunner View Post
You will spend all of $300, perhaps more. By all means, get some formal weapons training if you're this unfamiliar with handguns before you hurt yourself or someone else.
But, but, those $20 guns that guy on another forum got are working just fine for him. Why should I spend more than that?
__________________

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!


Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!
skullcrusher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:07 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dunerunner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Florence, Oregon
Posts: 8,481
Liked 32 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default

Skully........Now I have snot to clean off the keyboard!!


Damn, you couldn't find a BB gun for $20!!

__________________

People get the government they deserve.

dunerunner is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 05:39 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Old_sweetpea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winchester,Indiana
Posts: 24
Default

There's Don's Guns,"I don't wanna make any money, I just love to sell guns!" I know that they have indoor ranges where you can fire any of their firearms for a rental fee. But, that's in Indianapolis. I'm definitely going to need some "training" in cleaning and maintaining the firearm once I have it. Like I've said, I've shot other people's guns before, know how to shoot, just don't have any experience with buying, cleaning, all that shiz. Who wants to chance their weapon malfunctioning on them when they may need it most? Who would offer safety courses and such? The Police? Conservation clubs?

__________________
Old_sweetpea is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:05 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 128
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_sweetpea View Post
There's Don's Guns,"I don't wanna make any money, I just love to sell guns!"
Yea, right.

I'll bet you can find guns for $20, if the guy just finished his tenth armed robbery with it, having left shell casings and spent slugs at each robbery location, after he acquired the gun by theft. - - The other alternative is to find a time machine so you can go back about one hundred years.



You still - have not - indicated what type of gun you want. Some options are:

1) Rifle, shotgun or handgun
For rifle:
2) Bolt action, lever action or semi-auto.
For handgun:
2) Revolver, single shot (Thompson Center) or semi-auto.
For shotgun:
2) Semi-auto, pump, double barrel, or single shot

What is your intended use? Punching holes in paper, breaking clay targets, punching holes in aluminum cans, or what?

As mentioned above, sounds like a troll.
__________________

BN-Life - NRA
- NRA Certified Instructor -
I'm not worried about terrorism, I was married, TWICE!

Pat-inCO is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 06:13 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JoeB1987's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 73
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
But, but, those $20 guns that guy on another forum got are working just fine for him. Why should I spend more than that?
But but... Is everything you read on the internet true? I understand you could probably buy one for $20 of a crackhead on the corner, but that's as close as you'd get.

My advice, try many different handguns first to get a feel for the correct caliber for your needs and price restraints. Remember you'll need to run 300-500 rounds in it before being 'familiar' with it. Try using friends or renting from the range.

Also, forget anything that takes a 22LR or 22MAG round, you'll just piss the attacker off.

Can't think of anything else right now...
__________________
JoeB1987 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 07:35 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
skullcrusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Ohio,Ohio
Posts: 10,949
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_sweetpea View Post
What about buying from swap meets and such? Is that illegal or what?
Another big time troll question. Face to face sales of guns are legal as long as they are in the same state as your residence. *DISCLAIMER* Know your state laws as they vary. If you don't like your state laws, then that is what the voting process is for.

Look, sweetpea, there is a ton and a half of information to be had on this site that is offered by those in the know. Heed the advice or not, it is up to you.

Personally, the last swap meet I went to, I could not find the MG40 I was looking for.
__________________

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!


Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!
skullcrusher is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:46 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Old_sweetpea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winchester,Indiana
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat-inCO View Post
Yea, right.

I'll bet you can find guns for $20, if the guy just finished his tenth armed robbery with it, having left shell casings and spent slugs at each robbery location, after he acquired the gun by theft. - - The other alternative is to find a time machine so you can go back about one hundred years.



You still - have not - indicated what type of gun you want. Some options are:

1) Rifle, shotgun or handgun
For rifle:
2) Bolt action, lever action or semi-auto.
For handgun:
2) Revolver, single shot (Thompson Center) or semi-auto.
For shotgun:
2) Semi-auto, pump, double barrel, or single shot

What is your intended use? Punching holes in paper, breaking clay targets, punching holes in aluminum cans, or what?

As mentioned above, sounds like a troll.
A few of my posts ago I had said that I like the idea of a revolver because it's like a classic, and at the end of that post I'd said I think I'm more of a revolver guy. The title of this thread is looking to purchase my first handgun. Therefore I'm probably looking to get a handgun. Intended use ranges from self defense to target practice.
__________________
Old_sweetpea is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 08:48 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Old_sweetpea's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Winchester,Indiana
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeB1987 View Post
But but... Is everything you read on the internet true? I understand you could probably buy one for $20 of a crackhead on the corner, but that's as close as you'd get.

My advice, try many different handguns first to get a feel for the correct caliber for your needs and price restraints. Remember you'll need to run 300-500 rounds in it before being 'familiar' with it. Try using friends or renting from the range.

Also, forget anything that takes a 22LR or 22MAG round, you'll just piss the attacker off.

Can't think of anything else right now...
I could get a gun of a crack head no problem I'm sure, but I feel like I should go about this the right way, by that I mean the legal way.
__________________
Old_sweetpea is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 10:42 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,152
Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Default

Search the pawn shops and local gun forums. Brands to avoid are:

Jennings, Bryco, Lorcin, RG, and any other "Saturday night special". Be prepared to spend at least $200 for any reasonable quality used gun...

__________________
NGIB is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
1st handgun purchase Vapor General Handgun Discussion 40 01-02-2010 05:34 PM
First Handgun Purchase BigJoe79 General Handgun Discussion 5 12-11-2009 06:48 AM
First Handgun Purchase. FCross7 Semi-Auto Handguns 3 10-22-2009 09:09 PM
First handgun purchase HoosierGuy Revolver Handguns 7 12-29-2008 02:57 PM
Looking to purchase my first Handgun. Fierdon Semi-Auto Handguns 17 04-18-2008 01:49 AM