Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Looking for a new carry weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2010, 11:45 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

You will love the Browning Hi Power!

I am a rabid Colt 1911 Fan(boy) and had gone 17 years without shooting a BHP until............

Found this sweetheart on Gunbroker for $500 and was reunited with the brilliance of John Moses Browning's P35!

A quick search on the interwebz and you can find a quality Mec-Gar 15-Round Magazine for ~$22 or a nickel plated one for ~$25. That gives you 16 rounds of 9mm protection in the same package size as the 13rd mag and in a steel gun that is incredibly easy to stay on target. I reduced my Mozambique drill times 20% and upped my hit ratio near 35%! And that's compared to my 8+1 round 3" Defender with 47% less ammo.

Yea, I'm a big fan of the P35 (Browning Hi Power) and it has become my winter EDC. Fits all my 1911 holsters (except the custom 3" for the defender) and shoots far past my skill level!

I liked it so much that when a chance to purchase a nickel BHP popped up I jumped on it! It cost a tad more than the blued BHP but worth every penny.

Do yourself a favor and before you buy your next handgun, shoot a BHP in 9mm. I'll let the gun do the sales pitch!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-12-2010, 04:29 AM   #12

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 5

For a "Non-Gun-Guy", I grew up shooting a Colt 1911 for recreation, shot it a bunch in the Navy, worked out with the Beretta, and damned near everything from flare pistols to Ma Deuce. Nothing ever came to hand (Or to shoulder, or to both hands after checking headspace and timing) like the BHP. It's not a matter of superior machining or novel takes on switchology...... It's a Zen thing where machine adapts to man. Personally, there was no adjusting to it. It fit my hand perfectly, pointed naturally, and put holes where I wanted them to be. Imagine your dog is happy to see you and stuffs his nose into your palm while you're lying on the couch. That's how the BHP greets you. When I say that I'm a "Non-Gun-Guy", Cane will tell you that I did not know what I was picking up. I've qualified and carried in the military, hunted in my youth, but I've always viewed firearms as tools. As much as I like the one I carry every day, I never realized the artistry possible until I shot the High Power. It's exponentially more than just a firearm.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 10-13-2010, 03:52 PM   #13

If you get a Browning Hi-Power that is Made in Belgium you have the cream of the crop of the 9's ! It's made with old world flair and strength ! All Steel, no alloy ! They shoot like a dream ! I would not hesitate to carry a Hi-Power !
A 45 is a 45 however ! Nothing wrong with 6/7 rounds of 45 ammo. Unless you plan on getting into a gunfight with two or more people, the 45 will do just fine with better knockdown power. If you like the Hi-Power that much, buy it and switch off carrying if you like. It is a fine gun and I would love to own one !

Your other alternative like others mentioned is to get a nicer 45 like a Colt Commander, Springfield, or even a Para Ordinance who just happens to make the Warthog ! A small compact 45 acp that holds 13 rounds !! Can't beat that for knockdown power and fire power.

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .