Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Looking for a new carry weapon

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2010, 07:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking for a new carry weapon

Your opinions please:

Now carrying a Glock 36 on a daily basis. In my readings I have stumbled across the Browning Hi-Power, and and the more I find out about this pistol, the more I like the idea of 13 rounds of 9mm as opposed to 6 rounds of .45.

I would appreciate anyone familiar with the Browning to give their thoughts about how well it works as a carry pistol. Is the HI-Power a better option than the model 36?

Tom

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-07-2010, 08:39 PM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Hi Powers are top quality, world class pistols. If you can conceal one , it would be an excellent carry piece. Bigger and thicker than your G36, though. But I've never felt unarmed or under gunned carrying a 6+1 .45.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Last edited by M14sRock; 10-08-2010 at 03:05 AM.

Old 10-08-2010, 01:29 AM   #3

nice day ?????????????

Last edited by Ralphhster; 10-08-2010 at 03:44 PM. Reason: don't you know---spelling !

Old 10-08-2010, 01:35 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Why not at 1911? Thinner then your Glock, 9 rounds of 45 and all the characteristics of the high point.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 10-08-2010, 01:49 AM   #5

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3475 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I love me a Browning Hi-Power. There is a reason it's called King of the Nines. Probably the best 9mm pistol, in my opinion, ever invented.

That being said, they are pricey and they are much heavier than your Glock. 2.2lbs unloaded. Hard to beat steel on steel construction and 13+1 is hard to beat.

The Hi Power does need a couple of aftermarket details done to them, for my taste.

1) Magazine disconnect. Ths will allow an empty mag to drop free, allow you to fire the weapon without a mag in the chamber and also helps tune the trigger.

2) Finish tuning the trigger for pre-travel.

Once that is done, you have a great 9mm carry piece.

But, as has been said, it's different from your Glock in a lot of ways.

Cane should be a long shortly to sing the praises of his Hi Power. And perhaps Gorknoids will stop by, he has a new found admiration for the platform.

JD

Old 10-08-2010, 02:06 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
Why not at 1911? Thinner then your Glock, 9 rounds of 45 and all the characteristics of the high point.
You sure you don't mean---maybe--- Hi Power ?
( don't think you are gonn'a sell him a "hi point "! )

Old 10-08-2010, 03:04 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I'll second the vote on the 1911. The Browning is a very good quality for sure but I still fancy the 1911. The Glock, well, a gentleman knows when you don't have anything good to say you say nothing at all so I won't comment on a Glock.

Old 10-08-2010, 03:27 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Whatver you choose keep in mind that if you use it you may lose it. Atleast you won't get it back in very good shape, I'm convinced of that.

My personal choice forcarry is an xd40sc, subject to change.

Old 10-08-2010, 05:08 AM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2650 Times on 1545 Posts
Likes Given: 1175

There is an Argentine 9mm showing up around here that was made under license of the Browning Hi-Power. And at a cheaper price, and supposedly parts interchange.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-08-2010, 06:35 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElvisIsDead View Post
I'll second the vote on the 1911. The Browning is a very good quality for sure but I still fancy the 1911. " The Glock, well, a gentleman knows when you don't have anything good to say you say nothing at all so I won't comment on a Glock."
LOOK HERE :
10-05-2010, 05:17 PM #16
canebrake
one-ass-to-risk

Location: 150 miles NE of Sloppy Joe's Bar, in the "GunShine" State

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Here's fair warning, NO ONE on this forum is a bigger glock bigot than yours truly!
With that said, I'm giving notice that I WILL deal with the next member that starts a glock flame.********************

Let it go, we are not going to change their minds. Let them become enlightened through Darwinism.--(Definition of DARWINISM--: a theory that inherent dynamic forces allow only the fittest persons or organizations to prosper in a competitive environment or situation .

You have been warned! One week cool off ban to the next fire starter!"
**********************************????????????????????????????????????????
Definition of TRUTH---
Truth : fidelity, constancy b : sincerity in action, character, and utterance

Last edited by Ralphhster; 10-08-2010 at 07:19 AM.