Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > looking for input on a. 40 caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2013, 07:07 PM   #61
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1666 Times on 908 Posts
Likes Given: 532

There are several 40's out there that only require a barrel to change to 357 Sig. They are actually more reliable with less feeding issues than the 40. Sig developed the cartridge for use on their 40 frames. A stronger recoil spring may be required along with the barrel but it is still a very easy swap. 125 grain 9mm bullet at 1450fps with a 4" barrel.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Old 03-13-2013, 11:18 AM   #62
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1354 Times on 919 Posts
Likes Given: 462

The 357 sig is a snappy cartridge. I sold a Glock 32 because I couldn't get off aimed shots any faster with an 18 oz Glock than I can with a snub nose 357 pocket pistol. The glock was accurate and I never had problems finding ammo. I sold the glock to a neighbor that loves it so everyone is happy. I used the money to buy my Ruger convertible that I really love.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #63

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
There are several 40's out there that only require a barrel to change to 357 Sig. They are actually more reliable with less feeding issues than the 40. Sig developed the cartridge for use on their 40 frames. A stronger recoil spring may be required along with the barrel but it is still a very easy swap. 125 grain 9mm bullet at 1450fps with a 4" barrel.
I have a g27 gen 4 in 40 and purchased it with the thought of rebarreling it as a 357 or 9mm. Never owned a 40 before but I picked up a box of 40s just for fun. After shooting it it did so well that I decided to leave it alone and keep it in 40. Very accurate for such a small gun and I dont see much difference in recoil over my g19 in 9mm. I have a S&W360 and it is a monster in recoil even in 38 special, 357 is painful. My neighbor has a sigma in 40 and while it is a much bigger gun it kicks much harder. Right now 40 ammo is much easier to find than anything else in central VA so glad I stuck with the 40.

Old 04-07-2013, 06:51 AM   #64

Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister

Ah man, I have problems taking this guys opinions seriously. I have seen this video before and do not totally agree with the assessment. I also do not agree that I have a small penis. I have my own reason for carrying a .40 in the woods. 9mm will piss off a boar. A .45 slug hits like a pancake and is subsonic. Male boars have lots of thick armor in the front. A forty has the penetration power and is big enough to stop the heart of a Russian Keiler (male boar) in my neck of the woods. I stayed with a semi auto because I like the capacity, plus I am not impressed with the revolvers in Europe. Germans make great semi-autos and the Americans make great revolvers. My two cents.
The .40 doesn't have the penetration power of .45acp its just not true it was never designed to have the penetration of the .45 i disagree with the penis comment but you can't deny all the statistics sorry you got pissy because this guy said .40 users have small packages get over it

Old 04-07-2013, 07:27 AM   #65
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase127 View Post
The .40 doesn't have the penetration power of .45acp its just not true it was never designed to have the penetration of the .45 i disagree with the penis comment but you can't deny all the statistics sorry you got pissy because this guy said .40 users have small packages get over it
I was joking about the penis thing obviously. The guy does not help fellow gun owners by insulting them, sort of like you. Not sure why you ended the post with your comment, it is very immature. Attacking a fellow member just makes you look bad and no one will take you seriously. Yeager is a hurting our cause and deserved to lose his carry license. Telling the public you are going to start shooting people made gun owners look real bad. .45 has more penetration power on soft objects, but no on hard objects. It is a wider bullet that is subsonic. Tests on bullet proof vests show a .45 bouncing off the front layer. ..40 was able to penetrate first layer, but was still stopped inside the vest layers. The reason being the bullet being more pointed due to thinner size and the speed. I chose the .40 due to what I face in the wilderness-armored boar. I have seen .45 not penetrate the front armor of a Russian boar. Still, what do I know, I have only been working 22 years with firearms.
Old 04-07-2013, 01:32 PM   #66
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1994 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 716

Let's not turn this into a pissing match.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 04-07-2013, 01:35 PM   #67

Liked 136 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 33

aikimo-

I am fairly new to handguns. When I did my research, which included shooting various calibers and reading quite a bit (i spend a lot of time researching things before I purchase); I knew several things. The first was that I wanted American made (because I always go that way first)...the second was that I liked the way the .40 felt over the 9mm when I pulled the trigger. You already have this part figured out. I, personally, do not care for a Glock because the action feel rough to me. (not starting a war...please don't beat this comment up) I liked the way the action felt on the Smith and Wesson M&P and the E series 1911 .45. So that answered my question... I ended up with my gun in the profile pic...and could not be happier. Try them ALL....buy what feels the best for you. Rent, borrow..whatever you need to do to try out different models and buy what feels right to YOU. Good Luck!

-AP

“The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.”
― Thomas Jefferson

“The constitution shall never be construed...to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.”
― Alexander Hamilton

Viking Likes This 
Old 04-07-2013, 03:38 PM   #68

Liked 163 Times on 105 Posts
Likes Given: 48

aikimo.

The choice of caliber and handgun brand is a matter of preference and what you feel comfortable with. I like 40sw and presently own two pistols chambers in it, my ccw, a Taurus PT740 slim and a Jericho 941. I like the versatility of 40sw and capacity of rounds. When your shopping around don't discard Magnum Research's Baby Desert Eagle ll/Jericho 941. It comes in both polymer and all steel frames. I own the full size, all steel model and I love it. Also look at CZ's. Have fun and be safe.

Old 04-07-2013, 08:36 PM   #69
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1710 Times on 892 Posts
Likes Given: 341

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer
My gripe with the 40 cal is I can get 357 ammo for the same price or less. If I am going to pay magnum prices for ammo I am going to buy a magnum pistol.
Your ok as long as the other guy is shooting a revolver too! A decent .40 in capable hands vs your .357, all I can say is get the first shot and don't miss

Old 04-07-2013, 08:53 PM   #70

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

The 40 is favorable to me depending on the platform