Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > looking for input on a. 40 caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 01:34 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1428 Times on 782 Posts
Likes Given: 307

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4454 View Post
http://youtu.be/Gsxdk1V8i-M

I don't love Yeager but this video sums up why 40 isn't worth your time.
would have been nice if he was working with facts. just another hammerhead with an opinion. he could train monkeys for all I care, he just plain doesn't know his sh*t when it comes to ballistic performance.

Old 03-10-2013, 02:10 PM   #32

Liked 1949 Times on 1028 Posts
Likes Given: 4282

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4454 View Post
http://youtu.be/Gsxdk1V8i-M

I don't love Yeager but this video sums up why 40 isn't worth your time.
In your/his OPINION...that's all...

.40 is a perfectly capable caliber, if you don't like it, fine but your OPINION is NOT fact. This Yeager guy seems like a tool, I like to get my facts from my own personal experience, not by what some asshat says on the interwebz. Don't start this whole 'caliber war' debate over an opinion...

OP-I own the Walther PPS...in .40...and it's a great shooter. Slim and easily concealable, only drawback is mag capacity...6+1...good luck

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
chloeshooter Likes This 
Old 03-10-2013, 02:20 PM   #33
JTJ

Liked 1245 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 439

The 40 S&W was developed from the reduced 10mm FBI load. After a lot of research the FBI chose the 10mm and quickly found out their agents could not handle it so they reduced the power. It took off and a lot of government agencies and police departments adopted it. It is a high pressure cartridge and has a lot of snap in a light pistol. They shoot fine in duty pistols that have a little more weight. There is a big difference in shooting them in a 20 oz gun and a 30 oz gun. I had a G23 and did not like it but double stack Glocks dont fit my hand well so I dont own any anymore. It shot well in an original Sigma which my son still has. The best one I have shot was a Steyr M40. They are importing them again and are worth looking at. The Ruger SR's, Sigs, XD's and the S&W M&P's are also very good. The best advice is shoot a few before you buy and make your own decision. A handgun is a very personal thing and one size does not fit all.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

People Like This 
Old 03-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #34

Liked 3784 Times on 2257 Posts
Likes Given: 3161

H....&....k....u....s....p

Old 03-10-2013, 02:25 PM   #35

Liked 200 Times on 125 Posts
Likes Given: 434

I and many others in my area like 40s, they have more muzzle energy than the 9 or the 45 so I don't see how anyone can say the 45 is in any way "better", the only thing it does better is punch a bigger hole. 40 does tend to have more muzzle flip but that depends on the gun and the shooter, I have a Beretta 96 and don't feel it is that bad but I could see some complaining about it in a small or polymer gun as it would be far worse, just try different guns, find the most comfortable gun in the heaviest frame you like to best combat the recoil, also a gun with a lower barrel will flip far less than one where the barrel is high and farther away from your hand.

Come on guys, he has decided on a caliber which many will agree is a decent round, he is asking advice on different guns in that caliber, I doubt he cares about a bunch of 9mm and 45 fanboys who would rather bash his choice than offer useful knowledge. You all don't like 40, well I say give me a 40 any day of the week, as far as I am concerned the 9mm is a pos and the 45 is simply bigger than I want in both average size of the guns and the round where cost of reloading is concerned. This kind of thing really irritates me, if you don't have any advice for him then don't comment

Vote Scott Walker for Governor June 5th 2012

Last edited by blucoondawg; 03-10-2013 at 08:03 PM.
People Like This 
Old 03-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #36

Liked 83 Times on 65 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
H....&....k....u....s....p
S....i.....g......2.....2.....6. just rubbing ya.I know you got a 226.
Old 03-10-2013, 03:11 PM   #37

Liked 3784 Times on 2257 Posts
Likes Given: 3161

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigArmored View Post
S....i.....g......2.....2.....6. just rubbing ya.I know you got a 226.
Speaking of Sig, Aikimo how much are you looking to spend?

Old 03-11-2013, 01:54 AM   #38
JTJ

Liked 1245 Times on 703 Posts
Likes Given: 439

Quote:
Originally Posted by blucoondawg View Post
I and many others in my area like 40s, they have more muzzle energy than the 9 or the 45 so I don't see how anyone can say the 45 is in any way "better", the only thing it does better is punch a bigger hole. 40 does tend to have more muzzle flip but that depends on the gun and the shooter, I have a Beretta 96 and don't feel it is that bad but I could see some complaining about it in a small or polymer gun as it would be far worse, just try different guns, find the most comfortable gun in the heaviest frame you like to best combat the recoil, also a gun with a lower barrel will flip far less than one where the barrel is high and farther away from your hand.

Come on guys, he has decided on a caliber which many will agree is a decent round, he is asking advice on different guns in that caliber, I doubt he cares about a bunch of 9mm and 45 fanboys who would rather bash his choice than offer useful knowledge. You all don't like 40, well I say give me a 40 any day of the week, as far as I am concerned the 9mm is a pos and the 45 is simply bigger than I want in both average size of the guns and the round where cost of reloading is concerned. This kind of thing really irritates me, if you don't have any advice for him then don't comment
The 180 grain 40 load and the 185 grain 45 load are just about equal. When you match bullet weights they have almost identical ballistics. The 45 will handle heavier bullets and the 40 has more mag capacity so what is more important to you.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
If things get better with age, I am approaching magnificent.
You are either pro gun or pro crime.

Jpyle Likes This 
Old 03-11-2013, 02:32 AM   #39

Liked 761 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
The 180 grain 40 load and the 185 grain 45 load are just about equal. When you match bullet weights they have almost identical ballistics. The 45 will handle heavier bullets and the 40 has more mag capacity so what is more important to you.
Actually my XD .40 holds 12+1 while my XDm .45 holds 13+1.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 03-11-2013, 03:45 AM   #40

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post

Actually my XD .40 holds 12+1 while my XDm .45 holds 13+1.
I have a feeling one is compact and the other is not