looking for input on a. 40 caliber - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > looking for input on a. 40 caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by SigArmored View Post
I have owned a Sig 226 extreme in 40.for just about 5 years now.You will find the recoil light as the weight and size and balance of the pistol all play a part in the natural handling.I can pull rapid fire drills @ 15 yrds grouping at about 4" within the ten.You will find most heavier well built pistols will handle this calibre better than their polymer counterparts.I also have a PX4 Storm that is my edc and I've learned to tame the snap in that little light weight pistol.Not to the point of the Sig mind you but enough that I am willing to bet my life no my training.There alot of guns out there check out the cz line it doesn't have to be expensive to handle the calibre you're shooting. I suggest something that you are comfortable shooting that's what plays a major role in any of my firearms purchase.
I need to get a sticker that says my other gun is a Sig. It is true though. I use my HK while hunting. I feel more comfortable about using the Polymer in the wet and muddy temperate rainforests of Germany. I use my P226r, I call her my sweet Rosy, for competition. Ok, either a Sig or HK. If you are looking for a safety, Sig does not have it. If you are cool about that, Sig P226 is also a top notch choice. They are both designed by German engineers anyways. There!

Old 03-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #22
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2127 Times on 1154 Posts
Likes Given: 769

I owned 40 for years, but sold it because I just wasn't shooting it enough. That said, there is nothing wrong with 40 at all. My first handgun was an S&W model 411 in 40. I traded that in on a Springfield XDM 40 which was far superior. The gun was a great shooter, but I found the trigger could get ahead of me. I sold that because it sat in the safe too much and used the proceeds for a gun I use much more often.

I would guess the 40 haters have very little experience with the round. It is a little snappy, but nothing like a 357. If you want a 40, by all means get one.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
Jpyle Likes This 
Old 03-09-2013, 02:22 PM   #23
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 254 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4454
Don't buy 40 at all go 45. 40 is the worst of both worlds
BS flag - good caliber .

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

People Like This 
Old 03-09-2013, 02:29 PM   #24

Liked 4 Times on 2 Posts

I second the glock 23, I own the gen 4 and it's absolutely awesome. Easily concealable and not to small carry on the hip

Old 03-09-2013, 02:44 PM   #25

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4454 View Post
Don't buy 40 at all go 45. 40 is the worst of both worlds
Don't start this sh*t again...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting
People Like This 
Old 03-09-2013, 03:28 PM   #26

Liked 220 Times on 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikimo
Dear all,

I recently got into guns, and am absolutely loving it! I now own a gen 4 Glock 17, a h&k p30 (in 9mm) and just bought a Ruger sr22 for my wife. I am thinking about about getting a 40 caliber semi automatic pistol and would like some input/wisdom from all of you who have been into guns for a while for some suggestions.. Would like something med sized...

Thanks in advance for the help
Mo
I am a fan of the .40 caliber. Almost all of my semi autos are chambered in .40 I sold my 9mm's yrs ago to try and streamline the amount of ammo I have to keep on hand.

That being said becoming proficient with the .40 does take a lot of practice because of the recoil. Like one poster pointed out the .40 will likely expose bad habits.

The "knockdown power" edge will go to the .40 but not by an extreme amount over the 9. But an any situation shot placement/accuracy are much more important than caliber. A center mass shot with a 22 is more effective than a miss with a 44 mag.

However, if you still want a .40 you will get a hundred different recommendations. I am a Glock fan and if you want something mid size the G23 would be perfect. I also recommend you take a look at the Glock 35. It is much larger but made for competition, longer barrel, lighter trigger, etc. so it would be easier to shoot accurately.

Old 03-09-2013, 04:39 PM   #27

Liked 43 Times on 33 Posts

Hey i am an avid 1911 .45acp guy it is my gun of choice but i got a buddy who has a Sig 40 and i shot it and was surprised i actually liked it, it was easy shooting and he had mepro light sights on it which gace a good sight picture. Also liked the decocker on it. If you want a .40 go Sig, Glocks are losing cred and getting cheaply made.

Old 03-10-2013, 12:46 PM   #28

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent

Don't start this sh*t again...
http://youtu.be/Gsxdk1V8i-M

I don't love Yeager but this video sums up why 40 isn't worth your time.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:04 PM   #29
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by j4454 View Post
http://youtu.be/Gsxdk1V8i-M

I don't love Yeager but this video sums up why 40 isn't worth your time.
Ah man, I have problems taking this guys opinions seriously. I have seen this video before and do not totally agree with the assessment. I also do not agree that I have a small penis. I have my own reason for carrying a .40 in the woods. 9mm will piss off a boar. A .45 slug hits like a pancake and is subsonic. Male boars have lots of thick armor in the front. A forty has the penetration power and is big enough to stop the heart of a Russian Keiler (male boar) in my neck of the woods. I stayed with a semi auto because I like the capacity, plus I am not impressed with the revolvers in Europe. Germans make great semi-autos and the Americans make great revolvers. My two cents.

Old 03-10-2013, 01:30 PM   #30
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2033 Times on 1062 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Ah man, I have problems taking this guys opinions seriously. I have seen this video before and do not totally agree with the assessment. I also do not agree that I have a small penis. I have my own reason for carrying a .40 in the woods. 9mm will piss off a boar. A .45 slug hits like a pancake and is subsonic. Male boars have lots of thick armor in the front. A forty has the penetration power and is big enough to stop the heart of a Russian Keiler (male boar) in my neck of the woods. I stayed with a semi auto because I like the capacity, plus I am not impressed with the revolvers in Europe. Germans make great semi-autos and the Americans make great revolvers. My two cents.
we need to quit wasting our breath about the merits of .40 S&W. apparently our Dept. of Homeland Defense also did not watch this editorial slam down of the .40. I know Govt can be ignorant as hell but it doesn't mean they are stupid when it comes to firearms.

summed up: .40 sux - go buy 9mm and .45 ACP and leave the .40s on the shelves for the folks (apparently misguided) that just don't see the light