Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > looking for input on a. 40 caliber

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 04:20 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Thanks for the feedback guys. I was considering the 40 because I wanted something with more punch than the 9mm, but I did not want the recoil or cost of the 45. 40 seemed to be a good compromise between the two. I also shot a friends sig 40 and did not find the gun to be all that 'snappy'.. Does anyone have any experience with the sig? I believe it was the p226? Or 229? I do not want to start a caliber war, just looking for some experience/thoughts on the 40...

Thanks again.
Mo

Old 03-09-2013, 04:24 AM   #12

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 456

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikimo View Post
Thanks for the feedback guys. I was considering the 40 because I wanted something with more punch than the 9mm, but I did not want the recoil or cost of the 45. 40 seemed to be a good compromise between the two. I also shot a friends sig 40 and did not find the gun to be all that 'snappy'.. Does anyone have any experience with the sig? I believe it was the p226? Or 229? I do not want to start a caliber war, just looking for some experience/thoughts on the 40...

Thanks again.
Mo
I have shot a Sig 226 in 40 S&W and I own an XD 40 S&W. The extra weight of the Sig and the bigger grip does tame the recoil compared to the XD. Choosing a gun is really a matter of personal preference...what I like you may hate and vice versa. Try out a few models in 40, if you like it buy it.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 03-09-2013, 07:34 AM   #13

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just got a glock 35, which is pretty sweet Imo. I was also in the market for a 40 and I like glocks so it worked for me

forumrunner_20130309_033407.jpg  

Old 03-09-2013, 07:53 AM   #14

Liked 62 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Sigs are excellent especially the 226 and 229 my only problems with sigs are purely ones of personal preference in that i prefer a manual safety but overall excellent firearms

Old 03-09-2013, 09:29 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1706 Times on 890 Posts
Likes Given: 341

The recoil on a .40 SW will uncover any bad habits one has with their grip. Try the SR40. The design of the pistol reduces recoil and shoots more like the 9mm. These are very accurate guns as well

Old 03-09-2013, 10:17 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3858 Times on 2304 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

I just gave this advice to another post. Please take from it what relates to your question.

Try various guns before buying. If you can not shoot it accurately and comfortable, then it is not for you. A one for all gun must be able to function and fit each role it plays. For caliber, the same advise. I recommend the compact USP in 40. Compact because of concealed carry. If you open carry, go with full size. 40 because it is a manageable round that not subsonic like a 45, but has a bigger bullet than a 9mm. Plus you get an more rounds in the magazine than a 45. It is polymer to stand any weather conditions and environments. It has a safety and decocker, and fires and can be carried in double action or single action. These features allow you carry various ways to meet the jack of all trades criteria. The three dot sights are high quality, unlike the crappy Glock sights that break easy. Plus you can fire the gun limp wristed if you are injured or in awkward position. You can not do this with many Glock 17 or 19. Finally you are getting quality German engineering from a company that sells its products to militaries and police forces around the world. A USP is a fine battle pistol and defensive pistol.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:20 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 397 Times on 242 Posts
Likes Given: 127

If you want a nice .40 get one chambered in either 357 mag or 45 acp!

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

Old 03-09-2013, 11:32 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1706 Times on 890 Posts
Likes Given: 341

Lotta 40 haters - I think it's a great round but thats personal preference and I'm also newish to handguns. It is well documented throughout this thread why it exists etc. I think the 40 is the result of needing to replace service 38s and wanting to leap-frog the 9mm, get into the semi auto world

Think about it though, with the average distance of a home defense situation being what, 8 ft? - what matters is your aim

Old 03-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #19

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikimo View Post

Thanks again.
Mo
I have owned a Sig 226 extreme in 40.for just about 5 years now.You will find the recoil light as the weight and size and balance of the pistol all play a part in the natural handling.I can pull rapid fire drills @ 15 yrds grouping at about 4" within the ten.You will find most heavier well built pistols will handle this calibre better than their polymer counterparts.I also have a PX4 Storm that is my edc and I've learned to tame the snap in that little light weight pistol.Not to the point of the Sig mind you but enough that I am willing to bet my life no my training.There alot of guns out there check out the cz line it doesn't have to be expensive to handle the calibre you're shooting. I suggest something that you are comfortable shooting that's what plays a major role in any of my firearms purchase.
Old 03-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #20

Liked 31 Times on 21 Posts

Don't buy 40 at all go 45. 40 is the worst of both worlds