looking for input on a. 40 caliber - Page 11
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > looking for input on a. 40 caliber

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2013, 04:48 AM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
customammo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 193
Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chase127 View Post
Aside from being rubbish the .40 S&W is basically confined to north america whereas you can get 9mm anywhere in the world.There is a reason EVERY modern military has 9mm as the standard pistol caliber.One day when the military has established bases on the moon and mars and on large asteroids they will use 9mm as a standard sidearm its just the way it is .
Rubbish you say? Well it is ok if you don't like a .40, but a little research will show you that it was specifically designed for law enforcement back in the day because they wanted a good powerful round but something a little less then the .45 but better than a 9mm..... I carry a .40 as my duty weapon, and a .40 as my off duty.... I am a fan of .45 but don't feel like lugging my 1911 around everywhere, the .40 has good penetration and ballistics and everyone in my agency likes their .40's just fine.... it is actually the number one choice for law enforcement, most agencies employ this round for their duty carry, just sayin. Oh, and I stay in good ole America so I am not worried about not being able to get it anywhere else in the world, just here where I need it. Carried a 9mm in the military and never was impressed with it.
__________________
customammo72 is online now  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 04:57 AM   #102
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
customammo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 193
Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
look at the usa's infantryman rifles for a quick example 30/30, upgraded to 30.06, got wimpy with .308, got really pathetic with 5.56
True but all those rounds are still the same caliber bullet, just different casings, powder loads, etc.... I personally don't mind the .308/7.62, performed very well in 240B machine guns, my SRT uses the same rounds in our SASS sniper rifles..... not the best choice and I am not really a SASS fan tho to be honest.
Dumbing down to the 5.56 I think had more to do with NATO regulations and such and of course the military was stupid to go from .45 to 9mm, but they wanted something that was "easy" for soldiers to shoot.... screw that, they need to man up and use the damn .45! or at least a .40, but all this is just my 2 cents of course....
__________________
customammo72 is online now  
Nathantc Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:01 AM   #103
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
customammo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 193
Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin92 View Post
Was unaware I carried rubbish every day. I will sell my .40 and purchase a more effective smaller diameter and lower energy chambered firearm. Besides, it will be nice to b able to buy ammo when I carry on a deferent continent


:rant over:
LMAO, same here.... I think I will step down to a .380 then since my .40 is rubbish, that should be the perfect exchange, don't ya think??
__________________
customammo72 is online now  
Nathantc Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:06 AM   #104
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
customammo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 193
Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default

Originally Posted by Chase127 View Post
Why would you want a .40 they are all plagued with being either under power for the weight of the gun or having a lot of muzzel jump and just ....lacking in general either get a .45 or stick with the 9mm...the .40 smith & wesson was created due to the fact that there are more female police officers out there and was targeted at police departments who primarily use .45 ACP as a carry weapon well its been 15 years and the 9mm has become the predominant handgun round in the universe.FYI i know alot of cops male and female they all hate the .40 s&w they either still carry .45 ACP or they carry a 9mm mall security guards don't even like them it was a nice idea that fizzeled out along time ago don't waste your money


Umm, chase you are waaayyy misinformed my friend.... you are bashing a round you know nothing of the history of, as I already stated it was definitely not made because of female police officers.... again, don't know what officers you talk to, but I work federally and I rarely hear anyone say they think that their .40 sucks..... oh and also, 9mm is actually not the predominant handgun out there..... just do a little more research next time before you enter battle, it just doesn't make you look good at all

__________________
customammo72 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:12 AM   #105
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
customammo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 193
Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default

Oh and one last thing Mr. Chase127, you stated "in the universe".... so there is other life outside the earth I take it, they also have weapons and you must travel to these other planets to know these facts right? You also talk about creating bases on the moon and asteroids and such and they will employ the "holy and almighty 9mm only" apparently huh? This kinda talk makes it sound like you are a conspiracy theorist with some twisted ideas up there in the brain and probably hide in a basement all the time...... Ok Ok, no more soap box I promise I will stop posting now....... I am done.....

__________________
customammo72 is online now  
Nathantc Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 05:35 AM   #106
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elk Grove Village, IL
Posts: 560
Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

Quote:
I think I will step down to a .380 then since my .40 is rubbish, that should be the perfect exchange, don't ya think??
LOL, now that's only going half way, why not just go to a 22 mag as a carry piece (LOL). Actually the 380 has and had been the Euro standard caliber for a very long time, why I have no idea, but it wouldn't be my choice. Maybe because of over crowding or because the pistols are smaller and easy to carry, who knows, better yet who cares (I have one but never carry it.) The 9mm Luger was mostly carried by the military forces by officers (and yes they carred 380's as well.)

Not to bash the 40 S&W, but it will not be my choice as well, I have sold off both of my 40 S&W's (a 3 inch and a 4 inch) since there accuracy and usability in MY HANDS was marginable at best.

Today I use a 45 ACP Ultra Compact Pro and it's recoil is quite manageable and it'S accuracy is outstanding. (I also sold off my Kimber 1911, it was just too heavy to carry around all day. But was my most accurate pistol of all time.)

But back to the 40 S&W, I have found an excelent use for it in a newly accuired Hi-Point 4095TS carbine. Outstanding results in a rifle that I can shoot indoors as well as outside. It really is a fun gun to shoot, the weight and size of the rifle more than compensates for the muzzle rise of the 40 S&W round.

But for CC it would be a bit hard to hide a rifle under your coat, so if you are looking for a gun for CC any of the compact 45 ACP's would be a good choice.

Jim
__________________

Last edited by bigjim; 04-25-2013 at 05:39 AM.
bigjim is offline  
customammo72 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:48 AM   #107
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Nathantc's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lumberton,Texas
Posts: 560
Liked 42 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 70

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
LOL, now that's only going half way, why not just go to a 22 mag as a carry piece (LOL). Actually the 380 has and had been the Euro standard caliber for a very long time, why I have no idea, but it wouldn't be my choice. Maybe because of over crowding or because the pistols are smaller and easy to carry, who knows, better yet who cares (I have one but never carry it.) The 9mm Luger was mostly carried by the military forces by officers (and yes they carred 380's as well.)

Not to bash the 40 S&W, but it will not be my choice as well, I have sold off both of my 40 S&W's (a 3 inch and a 4 inch) since there accuracy and usability in MY HANDS was marginable at best.

Today I use a 45 ACP Ultra Compact Pro and it's recoil is quite manageable and it'S accuracy is outstanding. (I also sold off my Kimber 1911, it was just too heavy to carry around all day. But was my most accurate pistol of all time.)

But back to the 40 S&W, I have found an excelent use for it in a newly accuired Hi-Point 4095TS carbine. Outstanding results in a rifle that I can shoot indoors as well as outside. It really is a fun gun to shoot, the weight and size of the rifle more than compensates for the muzzle rise of the 40 S&W round.

But for CC it would be a bit hard to hide a rifle under your coat, so if you are looking for a gun for CC any of the compact 45 ACP's would be a good choice.

Jim
as stated before

the .45acp out of short barrels has a very low velocity, its not a good caliber choice in a compact or sub compact size hand gun due to this,,,

im not bashing it just stating a provable fact
__________________
Nathantc is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 12:11 PM   #108
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
ScottA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Davenport,IA
Posts: 6,877
Liked 2224 Times on 1201 Posts
Likes Given: 802

Default

Ugh... this caliber war garbage really gets tiring.

__________________

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA
ScottA is offline  
customammo72 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #109
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
customammo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 193
Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathantc View Post
as stated before

the .45acp out of short barrels has a very low velocity, its not a good caliber choice in a compact or sub compact size hand gun due to this,,,

im not bashing it just stating a provable fact
True, but honestly when you would need to use it you would likely be close to the target, they would not be wearing body armor, therefore it would do its job just fine. In fact, any calibers we have mentioned here would do just fine in 99% of your CCW situations where you would actually have to use the pistol anyways so none of this really matters much...... Unless you are really shooting a good distance across the room at someone, you would still do fine with any of them...... Point being, in the chance you will actually need to use it, whatever you have will work in most situations you will encounter and choosing of a gun/caliber is all determined on what the person carrying it likes, everyone has a different opinion on what is good/bad no matter what. Certain people like one pistol, others don't. Certain people like one caliber, others don't. Basically, if you wanna find out what is best for you, figure out what the most likely situation you would be in when you needed to use it, find a gun and caliber you like, are comfortable with and does what you need it to and as long as you are happy with it, then everyone else can kiss off...... Oh, and also this is why there are tons of different brands and styles of guns and many calibers to choose from out there! Everyone will have different choices as to their perfect deer rifle, caliber, and type of round and all that stuff too...... It's all in what the person likes best, you just gotta get out there and try different stuff and find what you like!
__________________

Last edited by customammo72; 04-25-2013 at 11:45 PM.
customammo72 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 11:51 PM   #110
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
customammo72's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Kansas
Posts: 193
Liked 49 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
Not to bash the 40 S&W, but it will not be my choice as well, I have sold off both of my 40 S&W's (a 3 inch and a 4 inch) since there accuracy and usability in MY HANDS was marginable at best.

Jim
PERFECT example right here..... what fits YOUR hand, what you are comfortable with and what is accurate for YOU. This is how I got my wife to choose her CC pistol. We tried tons of guns and different calibers for weeks before she found the exact gun that fit her hands well, she liked how the gun functioned and then got it in a caliber she liked for her needs. I did not push her or influence her in ANY WAY. I let HER choose what was best to her. For me personally, I love my M&P .40 LE edition, and my Walther PPS in .40 for my carry guns, but they fit me, I am accurate with them and comfortable with them, but AGAIN, that is just MY preference.
__________________

Last edited by customammo72; 04-25-2013 at 11:53 PM.
customammo72 is online now  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
need input on sks mountainman13 Auto & Semi-Auto Discussion 29 05-16-2012 04:16 PM
input unclebear The Club House 13 02-14-2012 08:17 PM
Need input on 40 caliber reloads... stakhaus Semi-Auto Handguns 6 10-03-2011 04:39 PM
RNC wants your input Gramps Politics, Religion and Controversy 7 07-18-2008 05:43 PM