Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Looking for a handgun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/looking-handgun-12620/)

DustyDavis83 04-06-2009 02:24 PM

Looking for a handgun

Im new to all this, Looking to buy my first handgun. Ive been thinking about 9mm or a .40cal.
im getting my CHL in about 2 weeks

im 25 about 190lb

i like the smith and wesson S&W M&P9 209301 9MM 4.25 17R
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/sw-mp-auto.jpg

they make it in 9x19mm Luger/Parabellum, .357SIG, .40S&W
Do yall think i should stick with a 9mm for my first handgun?

Thanks
Dusty

Franciscomv 04-06-2009 04:39 PM

The M&P is quite nice, as far as plastic pistols go. I'm waiting for the paperwork to come through on a full size 9mm one. Have you had a chance to handle it? If it feels comfortable, go for it. It's a good gun.

About your caliber choice, while 9mm isn't my favourite is has some advantages, like price. It's the most affordable of the SD rounds, and with the right bullet it's quite good.

If you're not set on the M&P, you should check out some other options, like CZ's. Model 75 is a very good handgun, you can get it with a decocker (and carry it with the hammer down, for a double action first shot) or you can get the single action version, which you can carry "cocked and locked".

WDB 04-07-2009 02:33 AM

THe S&W M&P is a good pistol, I have one in 45 and a compact 9mm. They are my carry pistols. I trily like the feel of them and the abliity to replace the back strap to fit your hand.

Best advice is to find a range that rents pistols and shoot as many as possible. While I expect the M&P will remain a top choice you might find something else that you like even more.

Good luck and let us know what you buy.

oldandslow 04-07-2009 02:47 AM

DD, 4/7/09

When buying your first pistol it is important to try as many models as you can to see what fits you best. The best way to do this is to go to a range that rents pistols and try as many as you can. It is best to take someone with you who is knowledgable with guns so he can help you.

You also need to decide what the gun will be used for. If it is for home or range use it is OK to be larger and heavier than a carry pistol might be.

Smith-Wesson makes some fine polymer (plastic) pistols, as do Glock, Springfield (XD models), HK and even Sig. And 9mm is a great caliber to start with. Ammo is cheaper than most other calibers (except .22 ammo), recoil is light and 9mm ammo is usually found easily. It is also fine for self defense when used with the proper bullet and velocity.

So enjoy your quest and let us know how it works out, and feel free to ask any other questions.

By the way, I shoot and carry either 9mm or .45, and feel comfortable with either.

best wishes- oldandslow

Mark F 04-07-2009 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustyDavis83 (Post 91494)
Im new to all this, Looking to buy my first handgun. Ive been thinking about 9mm or a .40cal.
im getting my CHL in about 2 weeks

im 25 about 190lb

i like the smith and wesson S&W M&P9 209301 9MM 4.25 17R
http://world.guns.ru/handguns/sw-mp-auto.jpg

they make it in 9x19mm Luger/Parabellum, .357SIG, .40S&W
Do yall think i should stick with a 9mm for my first handgun?

Thanks
Dusty

Get what YOU prefer... not what someone else likes. A 9mm would be a little cheaper to shoot and ammo is available everywhere. Other than that, I'd go with a .40 or .45 for self defence.

DustyDavis83 04-07-2009 03:13 PM

I'm plan on going to the range tomorrow to shoot with my cousin, he is in the coast guard swat. So he going to bring his guns, let me shoot them and teach some things.

Im looking for something to carry on me, thats why i was thinking of something small like a 9mm. then get something bigger later for the house but i do have a 12g pump at home. But my dad tell me if i stop smoking then he would buy me a nice kimber so here day one of not smoking.
thanks yall

Franciscomv 04-07-2009 09:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DustyDavis83 (Post 91819)
Im looking for something to carry on me, thats why i was thinking of something small like a 9mm. then get something bigger later for the house but i do have a 12g pump at home. But my dad tell me if i stop smoking then he would buy me a nice kimber so here day one of not smoking.
thanks yall

9mm handguns are not much smaller than .45's (and most .40's have the same frame size as a 9mm), there are lots of easy to conceal .45's out there. I find 1911's very comfortable, since they are relatively thin.

If your dad is getting you a Kimber, you'll have the .45 nicely covered. Get a 9mm just to have something different and a bit cheaper to shoot (or something that complements the Kimber, either as a back-up or summer carry gun).

DustyDavis83 04-07-2009 09:42 PM

thats what i was thinking.
but should i go with a M&P compact now for a cc?
something with like a 3" barrel, but the S&W M&P 9mm i like is only a 4.25

Franciscomv 04-08-2009 02:26 AM

Besides trying out guns at the range to see how they shoot, you need to try them on with different holsters to see how they feel and carry.

Take your time and find the holster/gun combo that works best. Concealing the 4,25" M&P shouldn't be so hard, and it will be more comfortable to shoot than a smaller model with shorter sight radius and grip (this again depends on your hand size).

Bottomline is, the M&P is a good weapon, but you need to make sure its right for you.

Mark F 04-08-2009 02:30 AM

No matter what you decide on... you had better load up on AMMO. and soon. Some calibers are in short supply and others will follow soon.