Looking at getting an m1911 - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Looking at getting an m1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Well if Kimber is such a great "out of the box" Competition gun why is it it wasn't used by two of the best shooters in the world ?

Todd Jarret shoots for Para and then there is Brian Enos as a matter of fact Enos shot with a "Garbage gun" if you think Taurus is crap surely you must think the same of EAA and that is exactly who he shot for at the end of his career .
And in Brians own words

Quote:
won quite a few USPSA Area Limited Championships and two Steel Challenge Limited Class National Championships over the next eight years.
Now how could this be when he wasn't shooting a great weapon like a Kimber ?

Lets list some of the very best of the best and see if they use Kimber

Doug Koenig Nope , Kimber not listed as a sponsor

Rob Leatham Nope he shoots Springfield

Eric Grauffel
1999 World Shoot XII
Cebu, Philippines

Eric Grauffel

Eric Grauffel, an 18 year old French student, has already won most of the titles in Europe and now holds the title IPSC World Champion!

www.armscor.com.ph/eric.htm

well now wont that make you choke Defender , not only is this guy a world class shooter but he apparently shoots for Armscor and does shooting clinics for them . Still not a single major player in the game shooting Kimber HMM .

So tell us again how great Kimber is when not a single one of the very best shooters on the planet use them .

Since the World Champion shoots Armscor it sounds like Kimber is nothing more than a "Wannabe" compared to Armscor I guess I can now bestow the title of Garbage gun on Kimber huh ? After all who cares what those under the top dog shoot , winning is what matters all second place is the first looser in a long line of losers .

So go ahead and shoot your crap overpriced Kimber I shoot a brand chosen by and made for World Champions .

Old 10-17-2008, 12:14 PM   #42

There is a lot of mudslinging going on in this thread, and the vast majority of it has no basis in provable fact, but is based on anecdotal evidence, which is to say, it is merely anecdotal.

Here are the facts that I am willing to go to the mat on. As for background, I own 5 1911s and no two are the same brand. I have tuned (trigger jobs, slide & busing tightening, etc.) around 20 for friends and aquaintences. I understand the 1911 system.

1. Any 1911 on the market can be made accurate and reliable. Heck, my first 1911 was an Auto Ordnance on a cast frame where the rails were out of parallel and uneven height. Guess what? A little elbow grease and some aftermarket parts made it a sub 2 inch gun at 50 yards and it was completly reliable.

2. Almost all new 1911s require a break-in period. Some of the biggest names in the 1911 business, including Wilson, will tell you not to expect reliability for the first 500 rounds on a factory gun, even a high priced one. There are exceptions for individual guns. Custom and semi-custom guns do not fall into this category.

3. 1911s made in the USA will cost more than those made in developing countries, even if the quality is equal. This occurs for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is the US government places more burdens (tax and non-tax) on corporations than almost any other country in the world. Price is not a reliable indicator of quality.

4. Sales and marketing efforts count for a lot. Apple does not make the best portable music player. Oracle makes a pretty mediocre database engine. Yet both are market leaders. Market share is not a reliable indicator of quality.

5. A lot of people make statements about what is 'best' based on what they own, and not any testing they, or anyone else, have done. Any time anyone makes one of these statements, your response should be, "what empirical test are you referring to which might support your assertion?"

6. Decisions by government entities and departments are not made on logic, and rarely made based on specifications and testing. The criteria for most government purchases is how easy it is to piggyback on a procurement contract. They should not be used as an indication of quality of any product, especially firearms.

7. Champion shooters do not use mass produced guns that you or I can go into a store and buy out of the store's stock.

All that being said, the 1911 in my collection that I like the most is a semi-custom based on a Norinco frame. I did all the work myself. I'll put it up against any 1911 for reliability. I also own a Kimber, a Springfield, a Charles Daly, and one on a home made frame that was machined in halves and brazed together. None are box stock. All required tuning to make them 99.99% reliable, even the most expensive one, the Kimber. At the end of the day, they are all pretty much equivalent. I cannot point to one and say it is 'better'. All have features that are different from the others.

I do not own a Taurus, but have seriously considered one. The people I know that have them are very satisfied. But that is merely anecdotal.

Last edited by FALPhil; 10-17-2008 at 12:30 PM.

Old 10-19-2008, 06:49 AM   #43

Just to put the cherry on the cake I shoot arguably the best out of the box, knock your socks off semi automatic pistol period............Sig 210-6.....

Old 10-19-2008, 07:47 AM   #44

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Posted by BigO01:

Eric Grauffel
1999 World Shoot XII
Cebu, Philippines

Eric Grauffel

Eric Grauffel, an 18 year old French student, has already won most of the titles in Europe and now holds the title IPSC World Champion!

www.armscor.com.ph/eric.htm

well now wont that make you choke Defender , not only is this guy a world class shooter but he apparently shoots for Armscor and does shooting clinics for them . Still not a single major player in the game shooting Kimber HMM .

So tell us again how great Kimber is when not a single one of the very best shooters on the planet use them .

Since the World Champion shoots Armscor it sounds like Kimber is nothing more than a "Wannabe" compared to Armscor I guess I can now bestow the title of Garbage gun on Kimber huh ? After all who cares what those under the top dog shoot , winning is what matters all second place is the first looser in a long line of losers .

So go ahead and shoot your crap overpriced Kimber I shoot a brand chosen by and made for World Champions .
BWAAAAHAAAAAHAAAAAA!

You've just proven yourself to be an absolute know-nothing!

Eric Grauffel does NOT use Armscor pistols!

He only uses Armscor AMMUNITION!

Here's PROOF from Grauffel's own official website (Click on the link below, then click on "Eric's Info", then click on "Sponsors":

http://www.ericgrauffel.com/

Grauffel uses HIGHLY CUSTOMIZED Tanfoglio "race" pistols, made in ITALY, which aren't sold "over the counter" in gun shops. Comparing a CUSTOM RACE PISTOL costing THOUSANDS of dollars to ANY "over the counter" 1911, REGARDLESS of brand, is SHEER IDIOCY.

Here's a photo of a Tanfoglio (Definitely NOT an Armscor garbage gun!):

Last edited by Defender; 10-19-2008 at 09:58 AM.

Old 10-19-2008, 07:51 AM   #45

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Just to put the cherry on the cake I shoot arguably the best out of the box, knock your socks off semi automatic pistol period............Sig 210-6.....
If you read my last post, you'll find your cherry is actually a turd. Eat hearty, old boy!

Old 10-19-2008, 08:35 AM   #46

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Posted by BigO01:

Well if Kimber is such a great "out of the box" Competition gun why is it it wasn't used by two of the best shooters in the world ?

Todd Jarret shoots for Para and then there is Brian Enos as a matter of fact Enos shot with a "Garbage gun" if you think Taurus is crap surely you must think the same of EAA and that is exactly who he shot for at the end of his career .
As usual, both your logic and knowledge of firearms are in the crapper.

You're confusing HIGHLY CUSTOMIZED "Race" pistols built specially for those competitors you named, at a cost of THOUSANDS of dollars, to "over the counter" personal defensive firearms like Kimber.

That's like comparing one of John Force's Funny Cars to a car purchased at your local car dealership.

Apples and oranges, son.

Oh, by the way, I NEVER said anything bad about Springfield or Para. If you were a better reader, you would've caught the following, that I posted on page one of this very thread:

Quote:
Posted by Defender on 9-14-2008:

Springfield and Para-Ordnance deserve a look. I'd avoid Taurus, as their quality control has been VERY spotty over the years.

Last edited by Defender; 10-19-2008 at 09:30 AM.

Old 10-19-2008, 10:36 AM   #47

Defender: I did say out of the box.......Dr. Boris suggests slowing down and shoot more revolvers.......................

Old 10-19-2008, 12:21 PM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
Ehhh, probably not. You need to check out the C-96.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:36 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by FALPhil View Post
Ehhh, probably not. You need to check out the C-96.
Phil

Had a couple but I would have to checkmate with the Sig 210 in 7.67mm Para...... glad to see humour is not dead on this forum.....

Old 10-19-2008, 05:44 PM   #50

Boris, I wansn't being funny. There are very few handguns that I can hold 4 inches at 100 yards offhand. The one P210 I shot was not one of them. However, I have shot many a C-96 that accurately.