Looking at getting an m1911
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Looking at getting an m1911

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-20-2008, 08:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking at getting an m1911

I was looking at getting a "modern" M1911 (a re-make of the original not an antique WWII original.) The two I was most interested in was the Kimber M1911 Desert Warrior and the Springfield Arms M1911-A1 Mil spec both in .45 calibers. Does anyone have any experience with these arms and the companies that make them? How did you find the quality and reliability of both guns? Also what about customer service from both companies?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-20-2008, 09:50 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Here is my Kimber:

In over 8 years and close to 12k rounds, I have never had a stoppage, failure to feed, stove pipe, jam or any other sort of hiccup. It feeds light HP ammo just as reliably as it feeds ball.

Every shot slides up the feed ramp and into the chamber very smoothly and goes off the second that I touch the trigger. The trigger moves no more than 1/16 of an inch with no creep or over travel and I can't feel the sear engaging or the hammer move. The whole process is seamless and glassy, breaking at a hair over 4 pounds.

The barrel moves in and out of battery quickly and works just as smoothly as it feeds and as smoothly as the trigger assembly works.

The extractor is an internal and functions just as flawlessly as the rest of the components.

If I were going to buy another 1911, I would seriously consider another Kimber, even before other, more high dollar brands.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 08-21-2008, 12:14 AM   #3

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

First off, congratulations on the decision to add the ultimate pistol to your arsenal.

John Browning was a master, and a God among men, who got this decision right the first time, around 1893, and it's still around today. For a reason!

I have had three Kimbers, I still have two of them, so I am somewhat biased.

My first ever 1911, and I can prove it because it has the swivel groove in the frame from the first or second time I took it apart and tried to "twist" the slide release back into place. Don't do that kids! LOL No one ever told me, so I made the classic NEWB mistake and marred the frame. I was going to re-blue it, but I wanted the proof that I did it, it keeps me humble when I look at my current 1911's...

I shot about 100 to 200 rounds every other week, payday weekend, with that Kimber Target II, for over two years. I don't know how many rounds I have put through it to be honest, but that weapon was reliable from the first day at the range.

I have put every type of on sale, or range, ammo through that weapon and it has always performed without problems or headaches.

After my first, I added their .22 Rimfire model, the perfect trainer that I still use today, and finally added the Raptor II from the Kimber Custom Shop that I carried for quite a while and shot the hell out of it. I ended up selling it for about $100 less than I paid for it, around two years later, and the only extra was a belt holster that I bought for it.

I have never had a problem with my Kimber firearms. I think they are probably the number one company out there turning out a "production" 1911 that has all the features that you would want, or need, in a carry or defense piece.

Matt's story is not uncommon among Kimber owners. I talk to people all the time that would buy another one in a heartbeat if they needed too.

I don't have any positive, real world experience with the Springfield - I know that they Quality Assurance has had it's highs and lows, as have most long time companies.

However, if I had to recommend a production 1911 to a friend or family member looking for the best bang for the buck, I would recommend Kimber hands down...

JD

Old 08-21-2008, 12:24 AM   #4

Basically the same story here-- only on the other side of the fence. I have two SA-- and am very happy with them both. I had an issue with the finish on one of them-- sent it back on their dime and had it back within eight days.

I don't think you can go wrong with either company.

"Trust in God, but keep your powder dry."
signed,
Joe

Old 09-07-2008, 03:35 PM   #5

I have a Kimber CDP-pro in 45 acp. It has an alloy, full sized frame and 4 inch barrel. It's a great and reliable pistol. I also have a Gov't Model Colt and a Wilson Combat Classic -- all full size in 45. IMHO the Kimber is better than the Colt and not close to the Wilson. ALL are very reliable with standard ammo as long as I use Wilson magazines -- of the three, the Kimber magazines are clearly the poorest. My recommendation for high value and solid performance would be a Kimber in 45 acp using Wilson Combat magazines.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I searched and researched for over a year when I bought my 1911. I ended up with a Kimber Custom II.

Why? well it offered the most for the least. I wanted a beaver tail grip safety to nix them pesky slide bites. They only thing mine doesn't have that I want to add is night sights.

Any of the major 1911 makers will fill the bill. I would look at Taurus as well they are good shooters out of the box and are offering options that others that cost twice as much do not.

If you go with the Kimber I would order 4 or 6 Wilson Combat 8rd mags with the polymer follower. These are great mags that will function flawlessly where as the stock kimber mags are crap.

Old 09-08-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 54 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 12

You can't go wrong with a 45ACP, And, there is a mother-load of 1911 makers out there. In just about every price range, conseal, target, and combat situation... there is a 1911 for the occasion!

Old 09-14-2008, 07:36 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

My first 1911 was a Colt, but like several other posters here, I recommend Kimber. Colt is only a shell of what it used to be.

Springfield and Para-Ordnance deserve a look. I'd avoid Taurus, as their quality control has been VERY spotty over the years.

However, your best bet is a Kimber.

Old 09-16-2008, 09:35 PM   #9

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Congratulations on selecting the 1911a1 in .45acp. A proven combat handgun. Both Kimber and Springfield are superior makers of fine firearms. I own a Springfield.

Be sure you get what you want from Springfield. They offer a "mil-spec" and a lower priced "GI" imported from Brazil. There is a difference, but both work well.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 09-18-2008, 06:31 AM   #10

I completely forgot about this thread and to report back to you guys. First thanks for the help. Secondly after reading up on both guns and talking to shooters I decided to go with the Kimber. I've been really busy and haven't been able to get it yet. I'm hoping to have it no later then Thanksgiving IF things aren't to crazy with school and work.