Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Looking at first hand gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2011, 03:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking at first hand gun

So i finally turned 21 and since i live in NJ i can finally get a pistol permit to buy a pistol. So i have been looking around and thinking about maybe my frist hand gun being a .22 caliber since im a beginner with pistols and i heard there good beginner guns. Was looking at the Rugers and saw a couple i like. Any helpful ideas on if this is a good choice or what u think would be a good thing to do. Also was thinking .22 since i have a .22 riffle so it would be good on ammo since it can be used one both.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-14-2011, 03:42 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Good choice! Many like the rugers, I prefer browning.

You can't go wrong with either one. Fun and cheap to shoot.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:45 AM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I would go with a Ruger Mark 3, just make sure it has a long barrel and adjustable sights.

Old 02-14-2011, 03:50 AM   #4

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I will echo that the .22LR is a very good choice for a first pistol and I like the Ruger MkIII 6". They run about $280.

People get the government they deserve.

Old 02-14-2011, 09:11 AM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Agree with my friends above. The Ruger 22/45, the Ruger Mark III, or the Browning Buckmark are all great choices. I have a short barreled Mark III Hunter and my son has a longer barreled 22/45 - both are great shooters and great platforms to learn handgun shooting. Note that mine cost double what my son's did...

Old 02-14-2011, 10:39 AM   #6

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

YOu can't go wrong with either the Browning or the Ruger. I don't care for the MkIII because of the CA DOJ Approved loaded chamber indacator on it. I feel it is not needed and it shows Rugers willingness to bend to the Draconian Rule of CA.

Also take a look at the Berretta Neos. It is a decent looking pistol and shoots good.

Old 02-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #7
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Choosing the same caliber as your rifle is cost effective. Lots of choices out there. As usual, my suggestion would be to get your hands on as many as you can, and get what feels best to you.

Browning Buckmarks are good......

As are the Rugers.....

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys

Old 02-14-2011, 11:16 AM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
I don't care for the MkIII because of the CA DOJ Approved loaded chamber indacator on it. I feel it is not needed and it shows Rugers willingness to bend to the Draconian Rule of CA.
I agree that the LCI and the mag disconnect hurt the gun and have been known to cause problems. The good thing is they are both easy to remove which makes the Mark III into a Mark II...

Old 02-14-2011, 01:30 PM   #9

Thanks everyone for the help def gonna go out to some places and check out a couple handguns and see what i like. Also another reason i kinda like a .22 is if i bring a girl to the range i feel the .22 is something they could shoot and it wont be to bad for them like a .44 or something would be haha

Old 02-14-2011, 01:41 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1174 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Good thinking.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams