Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > looking for an easy, dependable handgun..

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default looking for an easy, dependable handgun..

so i've been thinking of getting something along the lines of a pt92 taurus but as i was browsing BUDSGUNSHOP site, i saw this gun: CHIAPPA 1911 22LR 5" OD/BLK 10 $243.00 SHIPS FREE and im thinking a 22 might be the way to go for now just so that the wife can get used to a gun around the house.. anyone have any experience with this chiappa 1911 22lr gun? and what do you think about the taurus pt92? Now, dont go out and start a beretta vs taurus war please, i want to know about the pt92, if you have no experience with it, please dont flame it. i happen to like the look/cost of the gun. i dont want to spend over $400 if possible on a handgun especially because i'll go through a couple hundred worth of ammo breaking it in and stuff.

Or, are there any other 1911 style guns that are dependable / cheap? im not locked into a pt92, just really like that style

edit: ah yes, i dont want anyhting stronger than a 9mm to start off with, just to get the hang of it, i have a small 22lr ruger rifle that we take out for fun but i dont do any pro/serious shooting so like a 45 might be too powerful for me for now, i want to start at a 9mm and worse case scenario i can get stronger guns later and give my wife the 9mm..

also, i like the older 1911, pt92 style look more than the newer "block, err i mean glock" look, there's a taurus 1911 gun as well, not sure of the model # that looks nice and has decent rounds (15) *shrug*

im open to new suggestions?

Last edited by pyro; 03-06-2011 at 05:39 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2011, 06:48 AM   #2

i dont know about the preticular model of taurus but i have a millenium pro. 9mm great gun under 400 lite, accurate, small, available extended mag for larger paws, good gun, my bro has a 24/7 little bigger but nice as well, hope it helps.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 234 Times on 186 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I don't know much about the Chiappas, but I've heard very good things about the GSG 1911 22lr pistols. They cost a bit more than the Chiappas, but can be had for well under $400.

If you want a sturdy 9mm that lends itself well to 1911 styling, and for about $400...shop around for a CZ 75 or a Browning Hi-Power clone. The BHP clones (FEG, FM Argentine, Arcus) can often be found for $300-400. The CZs are typically $450-600 new, but can be found used for $375 or so every now and then. I lucked out and landed a new CZ 75b for $409 and an excellent used BHP (not a clone) for $500. So there are deals out there, but you'll have to be patient for those two models.

The Taurus PT92 has a generally solid reputation. They're pretty bulky, which could be an issue for the wife. But if you've looked it over and it fits, it's probably worthy of consideration.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:17 AM   #4
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2741 Times on 1591 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

Stop by the "Introductions" area and say "Hi".
There you can tell us a little about yourself and others will post things that may help you with our forum.

Now for the handgun. Look at a .357 Magnum revolver. You can shoot .38 Special or .357 Magnum.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 03-06-2011 at 10:25 AM.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:44 AM   #5

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I have a Taurus PT 92 and I actually prefer it to the Beretta 92 it copied - mainly for the frame mounted safety. While I'm not a real Taurus fan as I detest their polymer guns, the PT 92 and their 1911s are solid guns if you get them at the right price. The 92 is a large gun and is not the most concealable but they are certainly a fun range gun as this is what I use mine for. For the $300 or so I have in mine, I'm happy with it. Ditto for my PT 1911 - I paid $420 for it and at that price it's a solid value and good shooter...

Old 03-09-2011, 09:17 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I go with the PT92. This pistol is a licensed reproduction of the Beretta 92 made at the former Beretta factory in São Paulo, Brazil. The PT92 is the standard sidearm of the Brazilian Army, Military Police and Força Nacional de Segurança Pública (in military service, it is known as the M975 pistol). If you can't afford a 92FS that is the next best thing. I have a Beretta 92FS and totally love that gun. I put over 2,000 rounds through and NEVER had a FTF or jam. The PT92 should be just as reliable as it is the side arm of the Brazilian Army.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 03-09-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5451 Times on 2845 Posts
Likes Given: 350

the pt92 and pt99 are very good guns. they are heads and shoulders above the berretta 92. its unfortunate they are in 9mm but hey cant have everything.

ive handled a few chiappas they have a realllly cheap feel to them and are only cosmetically similar to a 1911. the gsg 1911-22 (got one on back order atm) have a very solid feel and duplicate the function and controls aof a real 1911. so much so some parts are interchangeable and the gun can be upgraded with around 50% of the parts in a real 1911.

i would say skip the chiappa. if you want a 1911 in 9mm check out the colt's they produce em and are the best 9mm 1911 out there. but i would highly recomend renting one in 45acp at a range first. i find the recoil and muzzle flip of the 1911 in 45acp to be far easier to control than handguns chambered in 9mm.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-09-2011, 01:52 PM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1799 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 556

My experience with Taurus is 50-50. 2 OK and 2 not OK. 2 months ago I sent my 19 year old PT22 back to Taurus for repair or replacement. Still do not have it back. I had a PT92 and it was a lemon. I dumped it rather than send it back. Their warranty service dept stinks even if it is a lifetime warranty. I count the PT22 as OK. The revolver I had was OK. The rifle I had was junk. OK does not mean great.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 03-09-2011, 02:29 PM   #9

Liked 425 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 34

The Stoeger Cougar seems to be getting a lot of great reviews lately and it's budget-minded.

Old 03-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #10
Jay

Liked 13 Times on 8 Posts

If you have prior shooting experience get what you like. If you're a relatively new shooter, get the GSG 1911, as mentioned. It's head and shoulders quality above the Chiappa, or the Puma. It's the same size/weight as a Colt 1911, and 85% of the parts will interchange with a 1911. Mine shoots very well. If you''re a new shooter do yourself a favor and put off heavier caliber guns until your technique and proficiency lead you down that path. Too much gun, too soon, will not be in your best interest.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys