Looking to buy a new gun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Looking to buy a new gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2010, 06:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking to buy a new gun

I have narrowed it down to three guns I want. I like all three but can't narrow it down to one. I have $900 to spend.

Beretta 92FS- I know it's not as good as the other two but always wanted one.
Heckler & Koch USP
SIG P226

Any opinions you guys have on these are welcome.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-29-2010, 06:20 PM   #2

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Get a used Browning High Power, more gun than any of those, 14 rounds and $400 left over for ammo!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-29-2010, 06:33 PM   #3

Liked 17 Times on 9 Posts

Out of those you mentioned, I would go with the Sig.

If it was me, I would go with Cane's advice and get the Browning if i wanted a 9mm.

Or, you could join us on the dark side and get a good entry level 1911, like a Springfield GI or MilSpec.
The dark side is a good side to be on, aside from incredible firepower, we also have beer and cookies

Old 01-29-2010, 06:37 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

None of the above. Browning High Power, S&W M&P, or Springfield XD/XDm,

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 01-29-2010, 06:40 PM   #5

Beer and Cookies!!! I'm joining the dark side.

But on a serious note I'll have to look into the browing hi-power. Haven't ever shot or held one. Probably gonna have to wait till next gun show to do so. And as far as the M&P and the XD's not really a fan of those types of guns like the Glock. I prefer guns that have hammers.

Last edited by jftoast; 01-29-2010 at 06:43 PM.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:48 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jftoast View Post
Beer and Cookies!!! I'm joining the dark side.

But on a serious note I'll have to look into the browing hi-power. Haven't ever shot or held one. Probably gonna have to wait till next gun show to do so. And as far as the M&P and the XD's not really a fan of those types of guns like the Glock. I prefer guns that have hammers.
The hammer's your preference, but don't lump the M&P and XD in with the Glocks. I've shot all three, and they all feel and point differently. I got an M&P because I couldn't stand the Glock (And 'cause I got a deal on the Pro Series with the trigger job ).
Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 01-29-2010, 06:54 PM   #7

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Of the ones you have listed, I have owned variants of all three, and I still own a Sig. If that says anything.

The Beretta was purchased way back when Lethal Weapon was big. Steel slide. Aluminum Frame. Lots of rounds and I had wear on the frame and the tolerances were no where NEAR as tight as when I started. Sold it. Haven't regreted it.

Had the H&K USP tactical. Just recently sold it. Too damn big, too damn heavy, bulky, and controls hard to reach and keep the barrel on target. The thing shot like a dream, even with a so-so trigger on it, but the weapon itself is just not an ideal pistol choice.

I still have a Sig P-228 that I carried for many years. Great pistol. Ate everything I fed it. I think I actually shot the stock barrel part of the way out of it I shot it so much. I got a drop in tight bore aftermarket barrel and continued to have flawless performance. It's a safe queen now, basically because I was educated in the error of my ways and was enlightened into the world of the 1911 and John Browning.

For what it's worth. YMMV.

JD

Old 01-29-2010, 07:10 PM   #8

Just talked to the owner of the gun shop i go to and he does have one 1911 for $560. A Taurus PT 1911. Any know whether they are any good. Or should i just stick with the sig p226 or browning hi-power.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:13 PM   #9

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by jftoast View Post
Just talked to the owner of the gun shop i go to and he does have one 1911 for $560. A Taurus PT 1911. Any know whether they are any good. Or should i just stick with the sig p226 or browning hi-power.
What's the year on the pistol? New? Used?

Taurus has some haters, but some people on this forum HAVE the PT-1911 and have reported very good results.

Old 01-29-2010, 07:26 PM   #10

I didn't ask what year it was he had told me it was never used though. So I am assuming it can't be that old.