Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Looking to buy a new gun (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/looking-buy-new-gun-22766/)

jftoast 01-29-2010 05:01 PM

Looking to buy a new gun

I have narrowed it down to three guns I want. I like all three but can't narrow it down to one. I have $900 to spend.

Beretta 92FS- I know it's not as good as the other two but always wanted one.
Heckler & Koch USP
SIG P226

Any opinions you guys have on these are welcome.

canebrake 01-29-2010 05:20 PM

Get a used Browning High Power, more gun than any of those, 14 rounds and $400 left over for ammo!

General_lee 01-29-2010 05:33 PM

Out of those you mentioned, I would go with the Sig.

If it was me, I would go with Cane's advice and get the Browning if i wanted a 9mm.

Or, you could join us on the dark side and get a good entry level 1911, like a Springfield GI or MilSpec.
The dark side is a good side to be on, aside from incredible firepower, we also have beer and cookies:)

Mr. Bluesky 01-29-2010 05:37 PM

None of the above. Browning High Power, S&W M&P, or Springfield XD/XDm,

jftoast 01-29-2010 05:40 PM

Beer and Cookies!!! I'm joining the dark side.

But on a serious note I'll have to look into the browing hi-power. Haven't ever shot or held one. Probably gonna have to wait till next gun show to do so. And as far as the M&P and the XD's not really a fan of those types of guns like the Glock. I prefer guns that have hammers.

Mr. Bluesky 01-29-2010 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jftoast (Post 220784)
Beer and Cookies!!! I'm joining the dark side.

But on a serious note I'll have to look into the browing hi-power. Haven't ever shot or held one. Probably gonna have to wait till next gun show to do so. And as far as the M&P and the XD's not really a fan of those types of guns like the Glock. I prefer guns that have hammers.

The hammer's your preference, but don't lump the M&P and XD in with the Glocks. I've shot all three, and they all feel and point differently. I got an M&P because I couldn't stand the Glock (And 'cause I got a deal on the Pro Series with the trigger job :D).

Dillinger 01-29-2010 05:54 PM

Of the ones you have listed, I have owned variants of all three, and I still own a Sig. If that says anything.

The Beretta was purchased way back when Lethal Weapon was big. Steel slide. Aluminum Frame. Lots of rounds and I had wear on the frame and the tolerances were no where NEAR as tight as when I started. Sold it. Haven't regreted it.

Had the H&K USP tactical. Just recently sold it. Too damn big, too damn heavy, bulky, and controls hard to reach and keep the barrel on target. The thing shot like a dream, even with a so-so trigger on it, but the weapon itself is just not an ideal pistol choice.

I still have a Sig P-228 that I carried for many years. Great pistol. Ate everything I fed it. I think I actually shot the stock barrel part of the way out of it I shot it so much. I got a drop in tight bore aftermarket barrel and continued to have flawless performance. It's a safe queen now, basically because I was educated in the error of my ways and was enlightened into the world of the 1911 and John Browning.

For what it's worth. YMMV.

JD

jftoast 01-29-2010 06:10 PM

Just talked to the owner of the gun shop i go to and he does have one 1911 for $560. A Taurus PT 1911. Any know whether they are any good. Or should i just stick with the sig p226 or browning hi-power.

Dillinger 01-29-2010 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jftoast (Post 220812)
Just talked to the owner of the gun shop i go to and he does have one 1911 for $560. A Taurus PT 1911. Any know whether they are any good. Or should i just stick with the sig p226 or browning hi-power.

What's the year on the pistol? New? Used?

Taurus has some haters, but some people on this forum HAVE the PT-1911 and have reported very good results.

jftoast 01-29-2010 06:26 PM

I didn't ask what year it was he had told me it was never used though. So I am assuming it can't be that old.