Looking to buy a .22 (first handgun) - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Looking to buy a .22 (first handgun)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
I've got a 22/45 that is a wonderful hand gun. It can be a little tricky to disassemble and reassemble for cleaning though. Not too bad if you do it enough. I just rarely pull mine out to shoot it so no need to really clean it.
Mine will start to miss the rim and fail to eject the spent casing after 150 or so shots though.
+1 on that they are like a Chinese Puzzel to put back together.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping

Old 09-17-2010, 08:21 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

I have a Mk III 22/45, and it's been fantastic. A friend of mine has a Buckmark, and it's been great too.

You might also look at a GSG 1911. It's a 1911 clone that's made to shoot .22. They cost a little more, but the one I got to shoot was sweet! The controls are also more like a 1911 than a Buckmark's, or even the 22/45.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs

Old 09-19-2010, 04:50 PM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007 View Post
The Ruger's are great little 22's. The biggest problem is the 22 ammo is not reliable. With bulk ammo you will get misfires. I got a Ruger Single Six revolver and got misfires and I turn the round and most times it fires. For that reason is why 22 are not good defense round. The primer is in the rim and sometimes there are dead spots were the primer didn't make it all the way around. Being it is high volume, cheap, quality control is compromised.

I also own a Browning Buckmark and Marlin 695 rifle. Most problems with 22s is ammo and cleaning related.
Amen to that. I bought of box of 550 Remingtons and most of the bullet tips were loose. CCI is usually a better round that my Mark III and my Buckmark like better, but they are way more expensive. 22 bullets are so mass produced that you can get a bullet with a little ding in it and your gun will jam. I've even had some that showed where the primer was hit and the bullet didn't go bang. But, for a day at the range, 22s are still the cheapest to shoot, I think that's why most people tolerate the occassional jams. I've even noticed, that I put a 2.5 x 8 Nikon Monarch scope on the Mark III and the bullets are so inconsistent that when bench shooting, you will still have stray bullets hit way outside.

Old 09-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #14

Alright thanks for the replies guys!

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Probably dirty, abused range guns. The 22/45 is an excellent pistol.
This is what I thought. NutnFancy recommended them very highly and I couldn't fathom why he'd put so much confidence in a pistol that failed almost once per magazine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
+1 on that. The only reason I like browning buckmarks more is the ergonomics and looks.
Of the two rugers that I fired the ergonomics of the mark III target felt better, but I think the 22/45 with 1911 panels would feel about the same. The 22/45 had a narrower handle, something even nutnfancy addressed in his vid.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffware View Post
mr urban, wow, lots of info for you. i bought a new ruger .45 acp kp90 (the "k" means stainless), for not subsantially more than a ruger .22 pistol, about 3 years ago. it is flawless. i don't know if they still make it. many pistol makers are going to polymer frames. on the slide it is engraved "p-90". only on the ruger website or catalog it was listed as a "K". roughly it is about the size and weight of a typical all steel 1911. but the frame is aluminum and the slide weighs more than a 1911. the overall weight and handling end up similar to 1911. i have rugers .22lr 10-22 ss, and mini-14 ss (.556mm) rifles. all fire flawlessly. consider saving the money for the .45 acp you want instead of a compromise. good luck, jeff.
Ok, maybe I drank some Koolaid on this one, but I have my heart set on a springfield 1911 as my first center-fire handgun, which as of now would run AT LEAST 400 dollars more than the 22/45 if I got an excellent deal. I don't have any particularly good reason beyond the reputation and fandom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Bluesky View Post
My Mk III has jammed on me occasionally, mostly when it was new and I was experimenting with different ammos while still trying to get the maintenance ritual down pat. The last 2000 rounds or so have been literally flawless except for one box of bad ammo. My money is that your bad experience was due to it being a range gun - The Mk III is a very precise piece of engineering, and a few hundred rounds down the pipe without a cleaning is liable to mess with it a bit. The ammo may also be to blame, it seems like every Mk III has its own preferences. Mine refuses to feed hollow points, but that's no skin off my nose for a target gun.

I highly recommend this pistol. The take down can be a bitch at first, but you'll get the hang of it. If saving money is a concern, the best polymer .22 I've shot (And I've tried most of them, except for the S&W 617, at one point or another) is the Beretta U22 Neos. It's about $150 cheaper than the Mk III, IIRC, and almost as good to shoot.
Maybe I misunderstand how firearms are labeled, but you're suggesting the Mark III over the 22/45 (which was also labeled a mark III). The 22/45 is about 150 dollars cheaper than the target model Mark III. The baretta looks cool, wonder if I could find one around here to try. Looking up the reviews I see most people still prefer the 22/45 and the latter is outfitted more like the 1911, which is my end goal anyways, so I'm not sure its for me. Still, it'd be nice to shoot for comparison. Kinda reminds me of the nintendo gun for some reason...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 007BondJamesBond007 View Post
The Ruger's are great little 22's. The biggest problem is the 22 ammo is not reliable. With bulk ammo you will get misfires. I got a Ruger Single Six revolver and got misfires and I turn the round and most times it fires. For that reason is why 22 are not good defense round. The primer is in the rim and sometimes there are dead spots were the primer didn't make it all the way around. Being it is high volume, cheap, quality control is compromised.

I also own a Browning Buckmark and Marlin 695 rifle. Most problems with 22s is ammo and cleaning related.
Yeah, both times when the ammo failed to fire it had the imprint of the striker on it, I assumed it was a failure of the gun... but 2/50 in one box seemed like a HIGH failure rate for ammo. All I remember of the ammo was the it was Federal brand, is that pretty common with them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourtJester View Post
I've got a 22/45 that is a wonderful hand gun. It can be a little tricky to disassemble and reassemble for cleaning though. Not too bad if you do it enough. I just rarely pull mine out to shoot it so no need to really clean it.
Mine will start to miss the rim and fail to eject the spent casing after 150 or so shots though.
From this thread, it sounds like the cleaning issue is common among all 22's. is it common to bring gun cleaning supplies when you go shooting? or is it something you just live with with your 22/45 until you get frustrated or go home to clean it? Are there any replacement parts you can think of that might correct the ejection issues, or at least delay them for longer? 150 rounds seems like it could go pretty fast with a 22.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
I had a Ruger M11 goverment target That I loved But my friend wanted to buy it and I found a great deal on a High standard "THE VICTOR" Made in Hamden CN that is in Exelent condition and had to have it. I would like to get another Ruger MIII Comp with the slab sided barrel.
For a first hand gun you cant go wrong with a 22, lots of practice for little money.
F.K.
I saw the slab sided barrels, is that an aesthetic thing or is there a good purpose for it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisherking View Post
+1 on that they are like a Chinese Puzzel to put back together.
F.K.
Watching the nutnfancy breakdown and reassembly that seems like a fair assessment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by KWGaryM View Post
+ 1,000 Thr Ruger Mark II or Mark III are both excelleny handguns. Also is the Browning Buckmark.

I recently picked up a Ruger Charger .22 pistol. Not really a gun to shoot anywhere other than the range but what a fun little toy. I'm very happy with it.
The buckmarks look like they run about 2-3 hundred dollars more than the rugers, for somebody who just wants to get some pistol practice in while he saves up money for a higher caliber firearm, do you think that's a necessary investment? or would the 22/45 be "good enough" for now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by utf59 View Post
I have a Mk III 22/45, and it's been fantastic. A friend of mine has a Buckmark, and it's been great too.

You might also look at a GSG 1911. It's a 1911 clone that's made to shoot .22. They cost a little more, but the one I got to shoot was sweet! The controls are also more like a 1911 than a Buckmark's, or even the 22/45.
The GSG looks pretty sweet. Based on online reviews though, it looks like the ruger still has the edge over it in terms of straight out of the box performance. There aren't many comparisons (ok, I admit I only read ONE) And for about 100 bucks less, it'd get me on the road to my 45 that much sooner.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:03 PM   #15
Resident JackHole
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 350 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 58

If you decide to go the route of 1911, take a look at Rock Island Armory. You can pick up one of the GI style 1911s for around $400 and they have AMAZING customer support and warranty work. I think you can even pick up one of their full tactical styles for around $500.

EDIT: Link to a Tactical on GB:

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=191234285

No, you can't take my gun. I'm gonna need it when you try to take my truck...

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm a mechanic. I fix things. This is why I will never be able to hold public office.

Last edited by Angry_bald_guy; 09-21-2010 at 07:05 PM.

Old 09-21-2010, 10:48 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here's my Mark III. It's the competition one.

mark-iii-knocked.jpg  

Old 09-22-2010, 02:18 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default My Buckmark

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 09-22-2010, 02:30 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

My buckmark.

Old 09-22-2010, 04:16 AM   #19
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2337 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 846

I'd feel perfectly comfortable with the Ruger or Browning.

Now if you want the absolutely most reliable .22, get a Smith 17 or 617. You will never have a FTF or FTE. And it will eat ANY .22 ammo... bar none.

Not that I'm biased or anything.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 09-24-2010, 06:48 PM   #20
ET1

Pro Bass had some Mark III's on sale for $249. When I finally got around to going over to buy one they said that they were sold out and took the sign down. RATS. I was buying it for my wife for her birthday. She had shot our neighbors MKIII and liked it. Now I think I'm going to buy either the Browning Buckmark or Berretta's Neos. It sounds like either would be a good gun for her judging by what's been said about them here. I guess I'll be taking her in to see which she is going to like.