Looking to buy a .22 (first handgun)
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Looking to buy a .22 (first handgun)

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2010, 04:13 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Looking to buy a .22 (first handgun)

I had every intention of my first handgun being a 1911 .45, but with a recent shotgun purchase, and my intended AR build early next year, that puts my 1911 purchase close to a year away... and frankly, waiting a year to work on pistolic proficiency will not stand. So I have been looking into getting a 22.

Went to a range today and rented both a Ruger 22/45 (mark III) and Ruger Mark III (target?). the results were good in terms of accuracy and **** in terms of gun function. Neither could get through 50 rounds without a couple hiccups. the 22/45 failed to strike the round properly 2/50 times, and the mark III failed to eject the casing 3/50 times, causing it to jam. Is this common for these? or are they just beat up, poorly maintained, dirty rental guns?

Any other recommendations around the same price point? Looking for a semi-auto that can get me some cheap trigger time in anticipation of buying a higher caliber gun at a later date. Thanks for your help!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2010, 04:29 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Probably dirty, abused range guns. The 22/45 is an excellent pistol.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-17-2010, 04:36 AM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
Probably dirty, abused range guns. The 22/45 is an excellent pistol.
+1 on that. The only reason I like browning buckmarks more is the ergonomics and looks.

Old 09-17-2010, 05:13 AM   #4

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
+1 on that. The only reason I like browning buckmarks more is the ergonomics and looks.
Oh, fo sho. I'm a Buckmark fan. But the plastic Ruger can be rounded off pretty easily. Of the Rugers, I only like the 22/45.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 09-17-2010, 06:30 AM   #5

mr urban, wow, lots of info for you. i bought a new ruger .45 acp kp90 (the "k" means stainless), for not subsantially more than a ruger .22 pistol, about 3 years ago. it is flawless. i don't know if they still make it. many pistol makers are going to polymer frames. on the slide it is engraved "p-90". only on the ruger website or catalog it was listed as a "K". roughly it is about the size and weight of a typical all steel 1911. but the frame is aluminum and the slide weighs more than a 1911. the overall weight and handling end up similar to 1911. i have rugers .22lr 10-22 ss, and mini-14 ss (.556mm) rifles. all fire flawlessly. consider saving the money for the .45 acp you want instead of a compromise. good luck, jeff.

Old 09-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #6

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

You can't go wrong with a Buckmark Ruger MKIII or a Beretta Neos. I have a Ruger MKII Target and a Neos. I spent plenty of quality range time with Brownings Buckmark as well.

I am going to say dirty guns cause the malfunctions. Also bulk rimfire ammo will have hits or misses.

Old 09-17-2010, 12:14 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My Mk III has jammed on me occasionally, mostly when it was new and I was experimenting with different ammos while still trying to get the maintenance ritual down pat. The last 2000 rounds or so have been literally flawless except for one box of bad ammo. My money is that your bad experience was due to it being a range gun - The Mk III is a very precise piece of engineering, and a few hundred rounds down the pipe without a cleaning is liable to mess with it a bit. The ammo may also be to blame, it seems like every Mk III has its own preferences. Mine refuses to feed hollow points, but that's no skin off my nose for a target gun.

I highly recommend this pistol. The takedown can be a bitch at first, but you'll get the hang of it. If saving money is a concern, the best polymer .22 I've shot (And I've tried most of them, except for the S&W 617, at one point or another) is the Beretta U22 Neos. It's about $150 cheaper than the Mk III, IIRC, and almost as good to shoot.

Ruger Mk III Competition .22 LR, S&W M&P Pro Series 9mm

Old 09-17-2010, 02:14 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The Ruger's are great little 22's. The biggest problem is the 22 ammo is not reliable. With bulk ammo you will get misfires. I got a Ruger Single Six revolver and got misfires and I turn the round and most times it fires. For that reason is why 22 are not good defense round. The primer is in the rim and sometimes there are dead spots were the primer didn't make it all the way around. Being it is high volume, cheap, quality control is compromised.

I also own a Browning Buckmark and Marlin 695 rifle. Most problems with 22s is ammo and cleaning related.

“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 09-17-2010, 02:51 PM   #9

Liked 711 Times on 380 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I've got a 22/45 that is a wonderful hand gun. It can be a little tricky to disassemble and reassemble for cleaning though. Not too bad if you do it enough. I just rarely pull mine out to shoot it so no need to really clean it.
Mine will start to miss the rim and fail to eject the spent casing after 150 or so shots though.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 09-17-2010, 03:32 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I had a Ruger M11 goverment target That I loved But my friend wanted to buy it and I found a great deal on a High standard "THE VICTOR" Made in Hamden CN that is in Exelent condition and had to have it. I would like to get another Ruger MIII Comp with the slab sided barrel.
For a first hand gun you cant go wrong with a 22, lots of practice for little money.
F.K.

Thats why they call it hunting and not grocery shopping