Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Looking to buy a .22 (first handgun) (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/looking-buy-22-first-handgun-31836/)

urban 09-17-2010 04:13 AM

Looking to buy a .22 (first handgun)

I had every intention of my first handgun being a 1911 .45, but with a recent shotgun purchase, and my intended AR build early next year, that puts my 1911 purchase close to a year away... and frankly, waiting a year to work on pistolic proficiency will not stand. So I have been looking into getting a 22.

Went to a range today and rented both a Ruger 22/45 (mark III) and Ruger Mark III (target?). the results were good in terms of accuracy and **** in terms of gun function. Neither could get through 50 rounds without a couple hiccups. the 22/45 failed to strike the round properly 2/50 times, and the mark III failed to eject the casing 3/50 times, causing it to jam. Is this common for these? or are they just beat up, poorly maintained, dirty rental guns?

Any other recommendations around the same price point? Looking for a semi-auto that can get me some cheap trigger time in anticipation of buying a higher caliber gun at a later date. Thanks for your help!

M14sRock 09-17-2010 04:29 AM

Probably dirty, abused range guns. The 22/45 is an excellent pistol.

Gojubrian 09-17-2010 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by M14sRock (Post 352017)
Probably dirty, abused range guns. The 22/45 is an excellent pistol.

+1 on that. The only reason I like browning buckmarks more is the ergonomics and looks. :)

M14sRock 09-17-2010 05:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojubrian (Post 352018)
+1 on that. The only reason I like browning buckmarks more is the ergonomics and looks. :)

Oh, fo sho. I'm a Buckmark fan. But the plastic Ruger can be rounded off pretty easily. Of the Rugers, I only like the 22/45.

jeffware 09-17-2010 06:30 AM

mr urban, wow, lots of info for you. i bought a new ruger .45 acp kp90 (the "k" means stainless), for not subsantially more than a ruger .22 pistol, about 3 years ago. it is flawless. i don't know if they still make it. many pistol makers are going to polymer frames. on the slide it is engraved "p-90". only on the ruger website or catalog it was listed as a "K". roughly it is about the size and weight of a typical all steel 1911. but the frame is aluminum and the slide weighs more than a 1911. the overall weight and handling end up similar to 1911. i have rugers .22lr 10-22 ss, and mini-14 ss (.556mm) rifles. all fire flawlessly. consider saving the money for the .45 acp you want instead of a compromise. good luck, jeff.

cpttango30 09-17-2010 11:27 AM

You can't go wrong with a Buckmark Ruger MKIII or a Beretta Neos. I have a Ruger MKII Target and a Neos. I spent plenty of quality range time with Brownings Buckmark as well.

I am going to say dirty guns cause the malfunctions. Also bulk rimfire ammo will have hits or misses.

Mr. Bluesky 09-17-2010 12:14 PM

My Mk III has jammed on me occasionally, mostly when it was new and I was experimenting with different ammos while still trying to get the maintenance ritual down pat. The last 2000 rounds or so have been literally flawless except for one box of bad ammo. My money is that your bad experience was due to it being a range gun - The Mk III is a very precise piece of engineering, and a few hundred rounds down the pipe without a cleaning is liable to mess with it a bit. The ammo may also be to blame, it seems like every Mk III has its own preferences. Mine refuses to feed hollow points, but that's no skin off my nose for a target gun.

I highly recommend this pistol. The takedown can be a bitch at first, but you'll get the hang of it. If saving money is a concern, the best polymer .22 I've shot (And I've tried most of them, except for the S&W 617, at one point or another) is the Beretta U22 Neos. It's about $150 cheaper than the Mk III, IIRC, and almost as good to shoot.

007BondJamesBond007 09-17-2010 02:14 PM

The Ruger's are great little 22's. The biggest problem is the 22 ammo is not reliable. With bulk ammo you will get misfires. I got a Ruger Single Six revolver and got misfires and I turn the round and most times it fires. For that reason is why 22 are not good defense round. The primer is in the rim and sometimes there are dead spots were the primer didn't make it all the way around. Being it is high volume, cheap, quality control is compromised.

I also own a Browning Buckmark and Marlin 695 rifle. Most problems with 22s is ammo and cleaning related.

CourtJester 09-17-2010 02:51 PM

I've got a 22/45 that is a wonderful hand gun. It can be a little tricky to disassemble and reassemble for cleaning though. Not too bad if you do it enough. I just rarely pull mine out to shoot it so no need to really clean it.
Mine will start to miss the rim and fail to eject the spent casing after 150 or so shots though.

Fisherking 09-17-2010 03:32 PM

I had a Ruger M11 goverment target That I loved But my friend wanted to buy it and I found a great deal on a High standard "THE VICTOR" Made in Hamden CN that is in Exelent condition and had to have it. I would like to get another Ruger MIII Comp with the slab sided barrel.
For a first hand gun you cant go wrong with a 22, lots of practice for little money.
F.K.