Looking for advice for a decent sidearm - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Looking for advice for a decent sidearm

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2027 Times on 1116 Posts
Likes Given: 1350

I have a Sigma. For the money it is ok. But I dont like the trigger. You will hear that a lot about Sigma. In the same price range you would do better with a Ruger. I have not shot the SR40c. But I would take a look at it. XD and XDm pistols are very popular. But a little more expensive I believe. But they are good guns with a great reputation behind them. I own a lot of guns. I have a "budget" 1911. It is a Citidel. They cost under $500. It is by far my favorite. I have other guns that cost a lot more. But that 1911 is what I shoot the most.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 01-19-2012, 02:12 PM   #22
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

The TT33 fires a 7.62x25mm round and holds 8 + 1, i bleve. That round is pretty different from the 45ACP. The 45ACP is generally a 200ish grain chunk of slow-moving lead that should transfer a lot of energy/hurt to the target before possibly passing on through. The lil 7.62x25mm is approximately 30 caliber, or 2/3 the diameter of the 45ACP, and is a pretty high velocity round that will probably not transfer as much energy/hurt on its speedy trip through a target. The 7.62x25 ammo that i have is only about 85 grains weightwise, iirc. It is fun to shoot, but i would rather bet my continued use of oxygen on something in 45ACP, if possible. Of course, shot placement is a bigger factor.

edit* for comparison, my XD45 holds 13+1 rounds.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 01-19-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Old 01-19-2012, 03:20 PM   #23

Right now I shoot the heck out of my 2 polymer .45's, my Glock 21 which has thousands and thousands of rounds through it without fail and my newest favorite my M&P45. Initially the M&P had some problems but it was all due to a very harsh burr on the extractor that would actually bite into the brass and prevent it from fully going into battery. After massaging it with some 400 grit sandpaper it runs like a champ. Only 10 +1 capacity but it doesn't suffer from the 'Wide Body Syndrome' that the G21 does but the Glock is a 13 + 1 for what it is worth.

Old 01-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #24

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

If you want to use your C&R, try a P-1. It is only 9mm however you can buy them, have them shipped to your door for $350.
Plus it doesn't leave that bad taste in your mouth from too much range time with your 1911 or P-38.

Check out the shotgun news. There usually some good deals on C&R pistols. The only draw back is the calibers are going to be 9mm or smaller. When you get into .45 cal. The price will jump on you for obvious reasons.

Last edited by robocop10mm; 02-03-2012 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Fixed it for you

Old 01-20-2012, 12:57 AM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlinman View Post
Glocks have alot of issues also. Most good 1911s arent a grand up. The really good ones are a grand up admitedly. But not everyone likes the same thing or can afford the great things like colts

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did
What kind of issues? unless your talking about the gen 4's. I havent heard of any issues as far as reliability or durability goes. You do hear about some stovepiping problems but more times than not its the ammo or mag. Im not saying they are perfect but their close. Tell us some brands of 1911's thats in the glock price range or under a grand thats extremly reliable. I priced several different 1911's because i wanted just one in my collection and couldnt fine one in my range. I know SA makes one around the same as glocks but its not what i wanted.

Old 01-20-2012, 01:00 AM   #26

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 38

What kind of issues? unless your talking about the gen 4's. I havent heard of any issues as far as reliability or durability goes. You do hear about some stovepiping problems but more times than not its the ammo or mag. Im not saying they are perfect but their close. Tell us some brands of 1911's thats in the glock price range or under a grand thats extremly reliable. I priced several different 1911's because i wanted just one in my collection and couldnt fine one in my range. I know SA makes one around the same as glocks but its not what i wanted. I saw another by SA and it was perfect(looks,specs,concealable,etc) but it was over a grand. RIA makes one but i hear those are hit or miss. Me personally, if im buying a gun, i dont need to hear "hit or miss". I never heard that from glock or any high end 1911

Old 01-20-2012, 01:05 AM   #27

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockpotion23
What kind of issues? unless your talking about the gen 4's. I havent heard of any issues as far as reliability or durability goes. You do hear about some stovepiping problems but more times than not its the ammo or mag. Im not saying they are perfect but their close. Tell us some brands of 1911's thats in the glock price range or under a grand thats extremly reliable. I priced several different 1911's because i wanted just one in my collection and couldnt fine one in my range. I know SA makes one around the same as glocks but its not what i wanted. I saw another by SA and it was perfect(looks,specs,concealable,etc) but it was over a grand. RIA makes one but i hear those are hit or miss. Me personally, if im buying a gun, i dont need to hear "hit or miss". I never heard that from glock or any high end 1911
Try about 5000 glock 21 45acp's recalled because they blew up in shooters hands? Or the fact that the mag release pins in them break all the time-all glock models. The slides either crack or shatter if in a bind and twisted slightly. As to 1911 try regent, continental, delta arms, and sigs

Old 01-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #28

Liked 1012 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glockpotion23
Look at High Standard and Rock Island 1911A1

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-20-2012, 01:12 AM   #29

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrWray

Look at High Standard and Rock Island 1911A1
The rock island a1 is the regent i mentioned and thanks for mentioning high standard wray. I new i was forgetting one big name

Old 01-20-2012, 02:06 AM   #30

Liked 42 Times on 34 Posts

My turn! Glocks are great Glocks are great! Hahahahaha. But lets be serious here. Marlin you had a bad experience with a Glock - it happens. And now you don't like them. How many govt agencies use them? A lot. How many Glocks are sold a year? A hell of a lot. There's a reason for that. For the money-there's no better semi-auto out there. They have been proven reliable, period. 5000 units recalls? Where did you get that info? I want the link! I've searched all over can't find it. Not calling you a liar just calling you out Marlin! (All in fun) but I've only heard of a small amount of recalls that were Gen4 recoil spring issues and the recall they had on the rear rails. That's all I've heard. But over 2.5 million sold since early 80's and the fact that 65% of law enforcement agencies use Glock, good enough for me. I could rant and rave more and more but what's the point? Firearms are personal choice-what might work for you might not work for me etc etc....but in all fairness....Glock has proven countless times that they are one of the safest and reliable pistol under $600. Period.....................btw, anyone want to buy my g17? Hahaha...but I am serious....

"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."
~John F. Kennedy