Looking for advice
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Looking for advice

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2010, 04:10 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Looking for advice

I am wanting to get a new firearm and I was looking at the P89 or a P94. I am wondering what you guys and gals think of these two. I am not sure I will use it as a carry weapon because I enjoy carrying my LCP and my LCR because they fit nicely in my pocket or purse. Any advice on these firearms would be greatly appreciated. Bear your advice is very important to me too

p94_3a.jpg   ruger_p89_9mm_left.jpg  

I don't mind living in a man's world as long as I can be a woman in it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger
ain't skeered

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2010, 04:44 AM   #2

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I had a P94 .40 S&W)some time ago and I think you might find the grip a little wide. It was my problem with it actually but mine did have a Hogue Grip on it and they do tend to make them a little thicker. I am no fan of the P89. They just seem to be real hit and miss as to accuracy from what I've seen. The P95 was pretty accurate and very reliable. And in retrospect I wonder if I had changed to another type grips I might have kept it. A lot of pepel down the Ruger semi's but that P94 in particular is a real nice shooter. I have got to fire several and they all performed well. The P89 on the other hand seemed to me to rather be spot on or hard to hit your a$$ with the thing in your back pocket. I never took one apart to see if there was something in particular affecting accuracy being I never owned one. They felt a little too loose and maybe that was it but it's hard to say if you never seen it broken down.

If the P94 is what you look at pay attention to the grip. I'm not sure who makes aftermarket grips doe them and if you can get a thinner set than the stock ones or especially the Hogues. But if they fit you OK then I'd say you would be happy with one. The sights are pretty easy to see and the balance fells (to me) pretty darn good. THe P94 uses an alloy frame and some of my shooting buddies always downed them for it but I never had any reason to doubt the toughness of the weapon. I shot mine a pretty good deal and never seen any type of wear on the frame. I attributed their dislike more in the fact it was a Ruger and not a Kimber, Colt, or Glock. It kept up with their pistols very well though adn that was a little upsetting for them I think. I owned a few 1911 (Springer, a colt, RIA), a couple Glocks, and a 40VE Sigma at that time and it did well compared to those.

Man all this talk makes me want to look at another one. I do not need another 40 though, I'd like to sell one of the couple I have now.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-08-2010, 04:52 AM   #3

Thank you Drum I will pay close attention to the grips. Again thanks a lot

Quote:
ain't skeered

Old 11-08-2010, 05:00 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I find them to be very blocky and thick. Take a look at the full size SR9. I think it's definitely worth considering over the P series. I have the SR9c and I love it, but you already have smaller pistols.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 11-08-2010, 05:02 AM   #5
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
but you already have smaller pistols.
Is that some kind of joke about me?

Old 11-08-2010, 05:04 AM   #6

I will check that out. I like the smaller pistols. I have the P345 but it is a little bulky for my purse. Thanks I will look at SR9c!!

Quote:
ain't skeered

Old 11-08-2010, 06:14 AM   #7

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

RSG,

If you are looking specifically for a Ruger as a range and fun pistol, do yourself a favor and look at the MK II or III. Very accurate, fun and just plain old pleasurable to shoot. The .22 is more economical and a great way to practice. You have carry and large calibers so go with a target pistol. Just my opinion.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 11-08-2010, 08:39 AM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

I had a P89 for many years and it was reliable for sure. It's also large, chunky, and only really suited for a range or home gun. If you're looking for something that's fun, I agree with Skully that a good .22 is a gun to have. You can get lots of cheap trigger time and the skills perfected transition to bigger guns...

Old 11-08-2010, 09:32 AM   #9
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7025 Times on 4228 Posts
Likes Given: 8469

Just curious, RSG, I don't remember. What do you currently have?

Old 11-08-2010, 12:24 PM   #10

They are great guns, they are big guns ! They are very strong and could stand up to a lot of shooting. If your looking for a range gun/shooter I'd say yes. For carry go with something more streamline like a Sig, Taurus, any 1911, or a Glock even.

No Son of a Bitch ever won a War by Dying for His Country ! It's the Son of a Bitch who makes the Other Poor Bastard Die for His Country who Wins the War !

George S. Patton, General 3rd Army United States .