Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Looking for advice (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/looking-advice-34102/)

RugerShootinGal 11-08-2010 04:10 AM

Looking for advice

2 Attachment(s)
I am wanting to get a new firearm and I was looking at the P89 or a P94. I am wondering what you guys and gals think of these two. I am not sure I will use it as a carry weapon because I enjoy carrying my LCP and my LCR because they fit nicely in my pocket or purse. Any advice on these firearms would be greatly appreciated. Bear your advice is very important to me too ;)

DrumJunkie 11-08-2010 04:44 AM

I had a P94 .40 S&W)some time ago and I think you might find the grip a little wide. It was my problem with it actually but mine did have a Hogue Grip on it and they do tend to make them a little thicker. I am no fan of the P89. They just seem to be real hit and miss as to accuracy from what I've seen. The P95 was pretty accurate and very reliable. And in retrospect I wonder if I had changed to another type grips I might have kept it. A lot of pepel down the Ruger semi's but that P94 in particular is a real nice shooter. I have got to fire several and they all performed well. The P89 on the other hand seemed to me to rather be spot on or hard to hit your a$$ with the thing in your back pocket. I never took one apart to see if there was something in particular affecting accuracy being I never owned one. They felt a little too loose and maybe that was it but it's hard to say if you never seen it broken down.

If the P94 is what you look at pay attention to the grip. I'm not sure who makes aftermarket grips doe them and if you can get a thinner set than the stock ones or especially the Hogues. But if they fit you OK then I'd say you would be happy with one. The sights are pretty easy to see and the balance fells (to me) pretty darn good. THe P94 uses an alloy frame and some of my shooting buddies always downed them for it but I never had any reason to doubt the toughness of the weapon. I shot mine a pretty good deal and never seen any type of wear on the frame. I attributed their dislike more in the fact it was a Ruger and not a Kimber, Colt, or Glock. It kept up with their pistols very well though adn that was a little upsetting for them I think. I owned a few 1911 (Springer, a colt, RIA), a couple Glocks, and a 40VE Sigma at that time and it did well compared to those.

Man all this talk makes me want to look at another one. I do not need another 40 though, I'd like to sell one of the couple I have now.:p

RugerShootinGal 11-08-2010 04:52 AM

Thank you Drum I will pay close attention to the grips. Again thanks a lot :)

CA357 11-08-2010 05:00 AM

I find them to be very blocky and thick. Take a look at the full size SR9. I think it's definitely worth considering over the P series. I have the SR9c and I love it, but you already have smaller pistols.

Shihan 11-08-2010 05:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CA357 (Post 382571)
but you already have smaller pistols.

Is that some kind of joke about me?:eek::D

RugerShootinGal 11-08-2010 05:04 AM

I will check that out. I like the smaller pistols. I have the P345 but it is a little bulky for my purse. Thanks I will look at SR9c!!:)

skullcrusher 11-08-2010 06:14 AM

RSG,

If you are looking specifically for a Ruger as a range and fun pistol, do yourself a favor and look at the MK II or III. Very accurate, fun and just plain old pleasurable to shoot. The .22 is more economical and a great way to practice. You have carry and large calibers so go with a target pistol. Just my opinion. :D

NGIB 11-08-2010 08:39 AM

I had a P89 for many years and it was reliable for sure. It's also large, chunky, and only really suited for a range or home gun. If you're looking for something that's fun, I agree with Skully that a good .22 is a gun to have. You can get lots of cheap trigger time and the skills perfected transition to bigger guns...

winds-of-change 11-08-2010 09:32 AM

Just curious, RSG, I don't remember. What do you currently have?

FreedomFighter69 11-08-2010 12:24 PM

They are great guns, they are big guns ! They are very strong and could stand up to a lot of shooting. If your looking for a range gun/shooter I'd say yes. For carry go with something more streamline like a Sig, Taurus, any 1911, or a Glock even.