Long term storage - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Long term storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 07:52 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 144 Times on 92 Posts
Likes Given: 167

I have the same model you do and have packed some of my gear too.

http://militarysignatures.com/signat...ember14888.png
Retired LE, M.P., Sr. M.P. Investigator, armorer, F.B.I. Trained Rangemaster/Firearms Instructor , Presently Forensic Document Examiner for D.H.S.

Old 05-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I used to vacuum seal the guns that I was not using. Even after many years, they come out of the plastic in perfect shape. So tonight I decided to vacuum seal my Browning High Power, a Galco Yaqui slide holster, 8 13rd mags, one 20 rd mag, a spare set of Navidrex Micarta stocks, and 250rds of 124gr+P Gold Dots.

Pistol, holster and stocks.

Pistol with fitted bag.

First seal complete.

Two mags, coated with Fluid Film getting ready to be wrapped.

OP,

That is awsome. Do you think that would hold up to in a bathroom that is being used? I am looking to store some rifles in the bathroom for emergancy.

Old 05-08-2011, 03:03 PM   #13

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 47

TrapperJohn, as long as the integrity of the bag is not compromised, they would hold up on the bottom of a lake.

Double, or triple bagged, with padding in between will keep them fresh. I have some rifles sealed (several years) with those fleece silicone impregnated gun socks around them, and they look like they were just sealed.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 05-08-2011, 03:58 PM   #14

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
OP, That is awsome. Do you think that would hold up to in a bathroom that is being used? I am looking to store some rifles in the bathroom for emergancy.

TJ, anticipate trouble in the loo?

Lavatory emergencies, in my mind, conjure up additional tissue and in extreme situations, a bidet follow-up.

Rifles, not so much.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-08-2011, 04:02 PM   #15

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14sRock View Post
I have a Foodsaver Vac 1050 that I picked up at Costco at least 10 years ago. I use it all the time. Burned out one of them after about 2 years, and Costco exchanged it with no questions asked.

My Aunt has a Foodsaver that is at least 25 years old. She uses it every night and it lives on the kitchen counter. It has been essentially bullet proof.

The bags come on a roll, so you cut them to the length needed. 8" and 12" widths fit just about anything.

I have long guns that have remained sealed since I got the Foodsaver.

When sealing objects with sharp edges (sights, etc) I always pad the edges with several layers of paper towel or old rags before sealing. And for good measure, double bag and double seal.

If I was buying another Foodsaver, they have a couple of heavy duty models. I'd get one of those. They can handle jobs faster. The one I use says it needs to cool down a few minutes between uses, and it does. When I rush it, the unit will over suck, and then it needs to cool down.

We did a 8 day backpacking trip in the Sierras a few years ago, and the Mountain House food took up too much pack space. So I broke it all down and vacuum sealed it. It was about 1/4 the size after vacuuming, and 8 days of food fit inside my Bear Can.

It works great for extra clothes and such, too.

Not sure what they currently cost, but $169 is the amount that sticks in my head as the orig cost. Maybe we could get Foodsaver to be an FTF Vendor?

EDIT - I just checked the Foodsaver website and they have some units that are under $100. For that price every FTFer should have one.
Thanks Rock.
hattip_2.jpg  

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #16

Liked 59 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

Lavatory emergencies, in my mind, conjure up additional tissue and in extreme situations, a bidet follow-up.

Rifles, not so much.

Yes, I'm thinking that the lube would have to be removed before use. Might be time-consuming if you're predisposed on your morning deuce.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:14 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrapperJohn View Post
I am looking to store some rifles in the bathroom for emergancy.
That quote + your username = absolute magic.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:36 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake View Post

Rifles, not so much.

I read many years ago that a bathroom is the perfect room to turn into a safe room. It is small so you spend a fortune to reinforce it. They are usually are close to sleeping areas and you are the most vulnerable in a bathroom/bedroom. I don't want to be taking a shower/dump have someone break into my house and not be prepared and if I am going to get into a gunfight I want some firepower.

But all jokes aside if you have a family like me you need to put them somewhere safe until the threat is neutralized or the police arrive(This might take a while). If you have an intruder break in and you are gone your family members need someplace safe to run to even if it's temporary and having a firearm in that room is a must. You can also use this room as a distraction. While the intruder is banging on the door you can escape out a window while being armed. Right now I live in the city but we also live in the country very far from help. If things go down hill there you are responsible for yourself.

The places most of my family lives a criminal can kill you, cook and eat you, drink a beer and be long gone before any law enforcement arrives.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:37 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Yes, I'm thinking that the lube would have to be removed before use. Might be time-consuming if you're predisposed on your morning deuce.
An AR covered in grease might not function correctly but a pump shotgun will. The other firearm I am considering for such a room is a bolt action
30-06.

The 30-06 will shoot through 40 inches of oak. So if your walls/door are reinforced you can still shoot through them with ease.

Old 05-10-2011, 05:38 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
that quote + your username = absolute magic.
That is really funny. Oh well at least I brought a smile to your face.

Last edited by TrapperJohn; 05-10-2011 at 05:40 PM. Reason: Smiley didn't work WTF?