Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Long term handgun storage (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/long-term-handgun-storage-103271/)

psymmonds 01-26-2014 01:52 AM

Long term handgun storage

Well I'm heading overseas and I'm not allowed to bring my guns. What's the best way to store handguns for long term? It'll be about 4 yrs or so

MisterMcCool 01-26-2014 01:59 AM

If you don't have someone to maintain them while you are deployed, sell them and buy again when you return.

Vincine 01-26-2014 02:09 AM

Giive them to me. I'll take good care of them.

SSGN_Doc 01-26-2014 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool (Post 1491693)
If you don't have someone to maintain them while you are deployed, sell them and buy again when you return.

If you trust that laws will not have changed or that you won't come back to another price gouging panic buy situation.

Best is with family that you trust. I've stored guns for friends who transferred for overseas tours. Locke them in my safe, checked them regularly, oiled as needed.

JonM 01-26-2014 02:39 AM

Break em down coat with thick grease and lock them in a safe. And by coat I mean slobber em like michelle obama on one of her buffet feeds drooling type things.

Long as air doesn't get to metal it won't oxidize that's why governments soak storage guns in cosmoline.

DrFootball 01-26-2014 04:12 AM

What jon said.......

John_Deer 01-26-2014 04:29 AM

One of my elderly family members has a beautiful S&W target pistol. She knows nothing about gun maintenance but she is capable with the big S&W 357. Her home is well sealed and climate controlled. The S&W wasn't cleaned for several years. There was no rust on it at all. Now I know the gun is there I clean it a couple times a year. When she feels well, she will fire the gun a few times when I am around. She can fend off those attacking cans at the age of 84. If someone tries a home invasion she will turn their head into a canoe.

DrFootball 01-26-2014 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1491783)
One of my elderly family members has a beautiful S&W target pistol. She knows nothing about gun maintenance but she is capable with the big S&W 357. Her home is well sealed and climate controlled. The S&W wasn't cleaned for several years. There was no rust on it at all. Now I know the gun is there I clean it a couple times a year. When she feels well, she will fire the gun a few times when I am around. She can fend off those attacking cans at the age of 84. If someone tries a home invasion she will turn their head into a canoe.

Good for Her! We have an 81 yr. Old land owner across from our development with about 25 head of steers. He had his nephews helping him out but one got called up( Naval Reserve) and the other got married and bought his own range in s. Nevada...when we met him at a "Breakfast spot" the first time he looked at east 10 yrs. Younger,.and had a Ruger Redhawk on his hip...

robertusa123 01-30-2014 02:46 AM

You don't need to over kill on storage. Its all about keeping them dry. I would just oil them up real good and then stick each one in a zip with a pack of damp rid or rice in a pinch I'd be more worryed about who's keeping an eye on them. Don't want them to end up at some pawn shop