Long Range Pistol shooting

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Long Range Pistol shooting

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2011, 08:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Default Long Range Pistol shooting

Here's a good article on long range pistol shooting out to 700 yards.

Long-Range Pistol Shooting: Find the Right Sight Alignment | Outdoor Life Survival

Quote:
In order to defend myself I knew I'd have to be able to shoot a pistol somewhat accurately at long distances...out to 700 yards. The idea was to figure out how to shoot accurately at long ranges to suppress an enemy attack. In other words, I wanted to be accurate enough to convince the bad guys to stop shooting at me.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-29-2011, 08:30 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

How credible is it?

“Never try to teach a pig to sing; it wastes your time and it annoys the pig.”

"Memories are pictures in your mind." - Kathryn (my 3 year old daughter)

Old 06-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I may be laughing too hard to read this.

Can you really tell a rifle was an AK variant by the impression of it's buttstock in the dirt?

edit* Holy Crap! I think this guy is serious. http://www.policestore.com/.aspx/lid=13812/TrainingGroupdetail/Cody_Carroll__Long_Range_Program_Senior_Instructor "His awards include the Bronze Star, the Combat Infantryman’s Badge, and the Combat Action Ribbon." from the policestore.com article.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 06-29-2011 at 08:47 PM.

Old 06-29-2011, 08:43 PM   #4

Cool article.
I'm certainly no expert but when I was doing research before getting my first handgun I Did a load of research into the FN five seven and i Think he's right about it being a good choice at range.
He's probably right about the round not going through anything much and still hitting the target but at 500 plus yards I would have thought a 9mm would be even worse in that respect. I'd have thought a faster pointier round would deal better with that sort of problem...particularly if you use the clever high speed heavier third party loaded five seven ammo, or since it sounds like he conducts some sort of military or police training he might be allowed to use the otherwise banned military five seven ammo...

Still I've never shot a pistol at ranges anything like that, what sorta round do you think would be best for a job like that?

Old 06-29-2011, 09:09 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 244 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrenzy View Post
Still I've never shot a pistol at ranges anything like that, what sorta round do you think would be best for a job like that?
I lot of revolvers calibers would be decent, but they're not exactly typical "service" rounds. I suppose among the calibers that are carried within the vast homeland security web, 357sig would probably be one of the better choices. 9mm bullet, but 25% faster. Although most 357sig FMJs do have a flat-nose, ala 40sw.

If I ever had reason to engage someone at several hundred hards with a pistol, I'd sure like it to be an AR-type 5.56.

Old 06-29-2011, 09:59 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

It's possible, but not reliable. I would personally, eat my packed lunch and wait till the tango got close enough, say 15-20 yrds, that a round hitting him would do a little damage.

At 700 yrds, "At this range you're going to need luck on your side" - the authors own words.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 06-29-2011, 10:06 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

So, the contract said pistols only. Wouldn't a .44 magnum be a little better at distance than a 9mm? Maybe a .44mag with a looooooong barrel even? Or am i missing the point that the "contract" was in place to prevent them from actually shooting anyone?

Even if they are carrying something i personally enjoy, i look at border-hopping mules about like i do bears, good = dead or gone.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:14 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Shooting long range with a pistol is not all that hard. Just get yourself a TC contender in 7mm-08 or a Remington XP-100 in 260 Rem. Slap a 3-12x40mm Burris pistol scope on top and have at it.

Old 06-29-2011, 10:32 PM   #9

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

this thread reminds me of this vid...http://youtu.be/mKFSN8Z9RnI
if the guys contract only allowed him to carry pistols...why not carry AR/AK/ECT...pistols??i mean,thats what they are

Old 06-29-2011, 11:03 PM   #10

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Keep in mind his goal in the article is not to be a pistol sniper but to get close enough to supress fire from an incoming enemy squad.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson