Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Lone Wolf Glock 23 40 cal. to 9mm conversion barrel and appropriate mags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Lone Wolf Glock 23 40 cal. to 9mm conversion barrel and appropriate mags

I just bought a Glock 23 and have been researching the Lone Wolf Glock 23 40 cal. to 9mm conversion barrels. I've seen really good reports on them and the website suggests using Glock 19 mags for the best function. The standard G19 mags are 10 rounders. I plan on getting one of these mags, but would also like one of the 15 or 33 rounders for fun. Will these high cap mags affect the feeding and perfomance of the conversion barrel? Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-26-2010, 04:30 PM   #2

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I e-mailed Lone Wolf and got a response from one of their reps. JR, in a matter on minutes! The info that he provided is really helpful and very informative. Here is his response:

"It doesn't matter what the capacity of the mag is. The best results are gained when a 9mm mag is used. I also included other information you will find useful:

About 1% of our conversion barrels are affected by the poor performance of Winchester White Box (WWB) 115 grain ammunition. This rare failure is too low a percentage to make an issue, however it is one we are well aware of. The fix to resolve this issue is quite simple.
1 Clean and lube your slide and barrel.
2 Shoot 1 mag to 1 box of good quality +P or +P+ ammunition through the barrel.
3 Go back to the WWB 115 gr ammunition. If it runs... great! If you experience more failures you will have a couple choices to make.
Fix A Reduce the recoil spring weight to 11 to 13 lbs. Cost is about $25 for stainless steel guide rod and reduced power spring.
Fix B Shoot 124 gr or a better quality 115 gr ammunition exclusively. WWB 115 gr ammunition is no longer a valid option.

What causes this problem? Several issues come into play.
1 The 40 slide and (40 conversion) barrel is thicker than any standard 9mm slide and barrel. This extra thickness equates to more weight. The combined extra weight taps the energy of the "weak" WWB ammunition to its complete demise. It simply lacks in power and fails to reliably eject the spent round.
2 Every once in awhile a Failure To Feed/Failure To Eject (FTF/FTE) is caused by a fit issue. We resolve fit issues by pumping +P or +P+ ammunition through the gun. This hot ammunition provides extra pressure and the pressure will positively align any and all components. Once they are all aligned there is no longer a fit issue. The FTF/FTE is usually resolved.

FYI: WWB 115 gr ammunition is the weakest sub standard ammunition you can purchase. This ammo is also known to produce failures in all standard Glock 9mm pistols. "

Old 02-28-2010, 08:23 PM   #3

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterGA View Post
The "standard" mag capacity for a G19 is 15 rounds, not 10 rounds! LWD makes excellent barrels.
Yeah, I realized that after I posted it. Those must be for states like California.

Old 02-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Just a couple of simple questions.

Why on earth would anyone want to convert .40 S&W to 9mm? Or even vice versa?

Are the WWB 9mm rounds poor performing rounds?

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 02-28-2010, 10:42 PM   #5

Liked 666 Times on 457 Posts
Likes Given: 672

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post

The conversion barrel should be able to shoot cast lead or plated bullets. Simple answer, $$$$$

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-17-2010, 05:13 PM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:

Old post,but the reason to run a conversion barrel (.40 to 9mm for example,you can't do it the other way around )is obviously that you can shoot both calibers with one pistol just by swapping barrels...for all those that can't decide between 9 mm and .40 for instance, you can buy a .40 pistol and a conversion barrel and have them both
Old 12-21-2010, 02:46 AM   #7

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcolg View Post
Old post,but the reason to run a conversion barrel (.40 to 9mm for example,you can't do it the other way around )is obviously that you can shoot both calibers with one pistol just by swapping barrels...for all those that can't decide between 9 mm and .40 for instance, you can buy a .40 pistol and a conversion barrel and have them both
Yep, that's my justification. The conversion barrel is nice too.
Old 12-21-2010, 05:05 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

The glock 23 easily converts to a 357 sig using the same mag. with a simple barrel change. Why go across town when a pretty girl lives next door. CD

Old 01-01-2011, 12:00 AM   #9

Likes Given: 2

Quote:

9mm is cheaper to shoot out of the box.

Old 01-02-2011, 03:30 PM   #10

For me, it was because I always wanted a G19 - But since I already had a G17 and a G26 - I could'nt justify a G19 - Then I inheirited about 1k of .40 caliber, that was enough justification for a G23 and a Lone Wolf 9mm converison barrel, Now I have the best of both worlds with a simple barrel change.

FWIW: I use the stock .40 cal mags for 9mm and have had zero reliability issues to date. Having one gun capable of shooting more than one caliber is always a plus for me.

TJB

Tags
glock 19, glock 23, lone wolf conversion, magazines