Local vs online
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Local vs online

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Default Local vs online

How many of you attempt to obtain the firearm you desire locally before resorting to online brokers?

I know the Internet is a great resource for many things including guns, but I've started to think about the disadvantages of it lately.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-17-2013, 09:47 PM   #2

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

I like to purchase locally . I have five lgs in my area and between all five you can usually find a good deal on what you're looking for. Of my last four purchases three are from my lgs and I actually was able to bargain down on one due to how much less it cost on the internet.Besides it's always good to support you're local guys.

Old 01-18-2013, 01:48 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have purchased half from a LGS and half online. Fr the most part I will mainly purchase online from someone within driving distance to me, so that way I can do a face to face meeting when I purchase it.

Old 01-18-2013, 02:00 AM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2143 Times on 1166 Posts
Likes Given: 775

I try to find it locally first, and from a small business first.

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 01-18-2013, 04:07 PM   #5

Liked 61 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
How many of you attempt to obtain the firearm you desire locally before resorting to online brokers?

I know the Internet is a great resource for many things including guns, but I've started to think about the disadvantages of it lately.
I buy local. That said, a couple of the local guys are gouging. Box of ammo increased .45 acp from 20 to 40 overnight, and they still had the old stock on hand.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:19 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 206

I'll buy local when I can find what I want, but the selection is limited so if I want something specific I do look online. Some local shops will order what you want and some will just try to sell what they have on the shelf.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:21 PM   #7

Liked 83 Times on 60 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Prefer to buy locally if at all possible, I'll research and compare prices online.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:23 PM   #8

Liked 34 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesmar View Post

I buy local. That said, a couple of the local guys are gouging. Box of ammo increased .45 acp from 20 to 40 overnight, and they still had the old stock on hand.
That's when I call them out on it when the store is full of potential buyers. Repeat business is better than that kinda business.

Old 01-18-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1606 Times on 1099 Posts
Likes Given: 558

As far as buying new guns I see no difference between buying a gun online and locally. Once you walk out the door it's your baby. The local shops will do nothing more than look up a phone number for factory warranty service, so will the online vendors. I say buy from the vendor that gives you the best deal.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 01-18-2013, 04:43 PM   #10

Liked 287 Times on 249 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
As far as buying new guns I see no difference between buying a gun online and locally. Once you walk out the door it's your baby. The local shops will do nothing more than look up a phone number for factory warranty service, so will the online vendors. I say buy from the vendor that gives you the best deal.
I find a huge difference in handling the gun that will actually be mine, rather than one LIKE it. Also in Oregon here we have to pass a background check each time. If I were to fail one somehow, even if it were an error on the Feds part, an online purchase is final in that regard, then I have to hope LGS is willing to buy it and then I'm taking a loss even at that. Also no waiting time and no transfer fees! I see plenty of reasons to buy local, if all else is equal of course. As long as the price is reasonably even...

But that's just my thoughts.