Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Local vs online (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/local-vs-online-81654/)

BeyondTheBox 01-17-2013 08:30 PM

Local vs online

How many of you attempt to obtain the firearm you desire locally before resorting to online brokers?

I know the Internet is a great resource for many things including guns, but I've started to think about the disadvantages of it lately.

SigArmored 01-17-2013 09:47 PM

I like to purchase locally . I have five lgs in my area and between all five you can usually find a good deal on what you're looking for. Of my last four purchases three are from my lgs and I actually was able to bargain down on one due to how much less it cost on the internet.Besides it's always good to support you're local guys.

bigrock44 01-18-2013 01:48 AM

I have purchased half from a LGS and half online. Fr the most part I will mainly purchase online from someone within driving distance to me, so that way I can do a face to face meeting when I purchase it.

ScottA 01-18-2013 02:00 AM

I try to find it locally first, and from a small business first.

charlesmar 01-18-2013 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeyondTheBox
How many of you attempt to obtain the firearm you desire locally before resorting to online brokers?

I know the Internet is a great resource for many things including guns, but I've started to think about the disadvantages of it lately.

I buy local. That said, a couple of the local guys are gouging. Box of ammo increased .45 acp from 20 to 40 overnight, and they still had the old stock on hand.

BK3220 01-18-2013 04:19 PM

I'll buy local when I can find what I want, but the selection is limited so if I want something specific I do look online. Some local shops will order what you want and some will just try to sell what they have on the shelf.

JSStryker 01-18-2013 04:21 PM

Prefer to buy locally if at all possible, I'll research and compare prices online.

Renegade44 01-18-2013 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charlesmar (Post 1099222)

I buy local. That said, a couple of the local guys are gouging. Box of ammo increased .45 acp from 20 to 40 overnight, and they still had the old stock on hand.

That's when I call them out on it when the store is full of potential buyers. Repeat business is better than that kinda business.

John_Deer 01-18-2013 04:27 PM

As far as buying new guns I see no difference between buying a gun online and locally. Once you walk out the door it's your baby. The local shops will do nothing more than look up a phone number for factory warranty service, so will the online vendors. I say buy from the vendor that gives you the best deal.

BeyondTheBox 01-18-2013 04:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1099242)
As far as buying new guns I see no difference between buying a gun online and locally. Once you walk out the door it's your baby. The local shops will do nothing more than look up a phone number for factory warranty service, so will the online vendors. I say buy from the vendor that gives you the best deal.

I find a huge difference in handling the gun that will actually be mine, rather than one LIKE it. Also in Oregon here we have to pass a background check each time. If I were to fail one somehow, even if it were an error on the Feds part, an online purchase is final in that regard, then I have to hope LGS is willing to buy it and then I'm taking a loss even at that. Also no waiting time and no transfer fees! I see plenty of reasons to buy local, if all else is equal of course. As long as the price is reasonably even...

But that's just my thoughts.