Loaded Magazine Storage
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Loaded Magazine Storage

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-15-2010, 10:32 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Loaded Magazine Storage

How long can a loaded magazine be stored? I just don't wan't the spring in the magazine to stay compressed.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-15-2010, 11:22 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 268 Times on 210 Posts
Likes Given: 36

It'll vary by make and model, but most mag springs are pretty strong. Unless you're talking about a magazine sitting around untouched, and filled to max capacity for years...I don't think there's much reason for concern.

If it worries you, load it to 80-90% instead. That reduces the tension considerably.

Old 08-16-2010, 12:43 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Magazine springs are affected more by cycles (loading and un-loading) than by being left full.

You could leave a decent quality mag loaded for dozens of years and it will still work.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 08-16-2010, 12:57 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I don't believe loaded or empty mags are the issue but how many times the mag is loaded and emptied. At least this is what Glock says. All mine are full and ready.

Old 08-17-2010, 05:36 PM   #5
ET1

I load my mags just like another poster stated...I leave them 1 or 2 short if I am storing them. I saw where a Glock expert said that it reduces the stress greatly by doing this. Now I just need to figure out how he got to be a Glock expert. I think all you need is a subtitle below your name/picture saying as much.

-ET
Glock Expert

Old 08-17-2010, 07:06 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9393 Times on 4048 Posts
Likes Given: 1476

Good quality steel springs in magazines are not damaged by staying compressed. There was actually a test where a 1911 was found holding a mag loaded in the 1920s. Over 50 years being loaded, shot just fine.

Now, if you will pardon me, I have to go outside and jack up my truck. I don't want the springs on the suspension to stay loaded all the time.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 08-17-2010, 07:17 PM   #7

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Contemporary, quality magazines produced with equal quality springs will retain their functionality longer than you will.

As stated before, springs are affected by cycles, not by being left fully compressed.

If you were really concerned about your magazine springs being under compression for any length of time, you would need to completely disassemble your mags for storage. This would be the only way the springs could be stored at rest.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 08-17-2010, 07:22 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Good quality steel springs in magazines are not damaged by staying compressed. There was actually a test where a 1911 was found holding a mag loaded in the 1920s. Over 50 years being loaded, shot just fine.

Now, if you will pardon me, I have to go outside and jack up my truck. I don't want the springs on the suspension to stay loaded all the time.
Great info there!

Old 08-17-2010, 07:52 PM   #9

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I have mags that have been loaded for years and still work fine

Old 08-19-2010, 11:16 AM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

OTH there are some magazines that have never worked reliably even when new, so storing those puppies fully loaded just kind of adds to Murphy's tool box.