Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Lingo thread sticky

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2010, 09:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Lingo thread sticky

I know I'm pretty new here, so I might've overlooked a thread like this that's already been posted, but I couldn't find one in the sections I checked. It's possible that no one has ever needed one, but I know it'd help me.

Basically what I'm suggesting is that an experienced and knowledgeable person make a thread with all the different acronyms, abbreviations, and etc defined for those of us who want to learn it all or who get help from someone but can't completely understand what the other person was saying.

For instance, what MOA means. Or LEO. Those are two acronyms that I don't know anything about that would be good for this list.

Anyways, was just a suggestion. I may not be the only lazy bastard having to look up all the terms.

Edited for updates (credit goes to everyone that posted in this thread):
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

LEO - Law Enforcement Officer

Firearm Barrel - A cylindrical piece (normally consisting of metal) that has a version of imbedded twists (polygonal, or lands and grooves) internally to initiate a projectile spin as the projectile travels the length of the cylinder assisting the projectile to have a predetermined path to arrive at its expected point of impact.

SHTF- sh_t hit the fan

OP - original post

Mils - Milliradians (see) http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/mildot_moa.asp

BBL - Bull Barrel (Rifle barrel that is thicker then the normal hunting rifle barrel)

opaww - Hard core Ass Hole, commenly known as a hate monger, Radical right wing gun nut, Pro-American/pro-Constitution/pro-Bill of Rights.

TEOTWAWKI - The End Of The World As We Know It

-------------------------

Minute Of Angle -

Along with MOA you may also encounter the term "clicks" which refers to the sound that SOME iron sight adjustments or scope adjustments make when you turn them to correct the "zero" on your sights.

Many target shooters will use the term "clicks" in place of MOA since it is a way to fine tune your sight adjustments. If the sight or scope has "1/2 MOA" adjustments (each line marking or click) it will adjust the bullets impact by approx 1/2" @ 100 yards. So turning the adjustment two lines or clicks on the sight will move the impact by 1 inch @ 100 yards. The same sight or scope with 1/4 MOA adjustments will require you to turn the adjustment four lines or clicks to get the same 1 inch change in your bullet impact @ 100 yards.

It's just easier to remember to adjust your sights by 14 "clicks" vs. 3.7 MOA when you are doing a lot of distance / wind adjustments.....

The idea of course is to get your sights adjusted to where the bullet strikes exactly where you line up your sight(s) on the intended target, which would be your POA. (Point of Aim.)

-------------------------

Last edited by Nyuu; 11-12-2010 at 07:24 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2010, 10:08 AM   #2
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6949 Times on 4180 Posts
Likes Given: 8353

Very good idea. I am fairly new and have been mulling over these acronyms, too. I did figure out LEO mean Law Enforcement Officer. I'm not sure about MOA. When I don't know, I just ask someone. Everyone has been very kind and helpful to me here.

Old 11-11-2010, 10:09 AM   #3

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

MOA = minute of angle. Deals with rifle accuracy (not a rifle guy myself).

LEO = law enforcement officer - a cop.

Fire away and somebody will jump in to help...

Old 11-11-2010, 12:43 PM   #4

Liked 307 Times on 172 Posts
Likes Given: 252

Minute Of Angle

Along with MOA you may also encounter the term "clicks" which refers to the sound that SOME iron sight adjustments or scope adjustments make when you turn them to correct the "zero" on your sights.

Many target shooters will use the term "clicks" in place of MOA since it is a way to fine tune your sight adjustments. If the sight or scope has "1/2 MOA" adjustments (each line marking or click) it will adjust the bullets impact by approx 1/2" @ 100 yards. So turning the adjustment two lines or clicks on the sight will move the impact by 1 inch @ 100 yards. The same sight or scope with 1/4 MOA adjustments will require you to turn the adjustment four lines or clicks to get the same 1 inch change in your bullet impact @ 100 yards.

It's just easier to remember to adjust your sights by 14 "clicks" vs. 3.7 MOA when you are doing a lot of distance / wind adjustments.....

The idea of course is to get your sights adjusted to where the bullet strikes exactly where you line up your sight(s) on the intended target, which would be your POA. (Point of Aim.)

Now -- see what you've started.......

Old 11-11-2010, 12:52 PM   #5

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I just put the abbreviation into a web search engine when I find one I don't understand. I use Dogpile and usually have the answer without even opening the suggested sites.

Dogpile Web Search

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 11-11-2010, 08:31 PM   #6

Well I'm not opposed to searching, of course. It's just the initial times I searched MOA I got things about Mall of America and a few other random links. After a bit of looking through them I found the gun related one, which is when I stopped searching. But I figured having a thread full of them already defined would be a great idea and prevent confusion for those of us noobs

@Highpower: That's exactly what I was hoping to get with this thread. A great explanation! Thank you very much! I hope we can get more acronyms and phrases defined like that in this thread.

@NGIB and winds-of-change: Thanks for the LEO definition. You'd think I'd know that one already having a real dad as a cop and a step-dad as a cop... haha.

Old 11-11-2010, 08:35 PM   #7

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Here's one I just learned!

Adam Henry

Old 11-12-2010, 01:32 AM   #8
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2751 Times on 1595 Posts
Likes Given: 1202

Most "lingo" will be picked up as you go along. I do not have any problem answering a serious question (I was new myself at one time).

Firearm Barrel: A cylindrical piece (normally consisting of metal) that has a version of imbedded twists (polygonal, or lands and grooves) internally to initiate a projectile spin as the projectile travels the length of the cylinder assisting the projectile to have a predetermined path to arrive at its expected point of impact.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Last edited by danf_fl; 11-12-2010 at 01:34 AM.

Old 11-12-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

Quote:
Originally Posted by lonyaeger View Post
Here's one I just learned!

Adam Henry
Similar to Whiskey Tango?

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 11-12-2010, 06:16 PM   #10

Liked 2056 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

SHTF= sh_t hit the fan

OP = original post

Mils = Milliradians (see) http://www.snipercountry.com/articles/mildot_moa.asp

BBL = Bull Barrel (Rifle barrel that is thicker then the normal hunting rifle barrel)

opaww = Hard core Ass Hole, commenly known as a hate monger, Radical right wing gun nut, Pro-American/pro-Constitution/pro-Bill of Rights.

All I can think of right now

Last edited by opaww; 11-12-2010 at 06:32 PM.