Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Light rails a need or a mall ninja's dream? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/light-rails-need-mall-ninjas-dream-55953/)

DodgerBlue 01-21-2012 01:23 AM

Light rails a need or a mall ninja's dream?

Have does every freaking gun in the case have a stupid light rail?

I recently bought a Sig Scorpion Carry with said stupid light rail. I bought it still, because the pros out numbered the one con being the light rail.

It's a carry for the crying out loud! Why did it have to have that rail!!??

But it's not just the Scorpion. Everything it seems has to have a rail. Who really needs it so bad that it has become the norm?

Police, SWAT, elite units fighting in the dark yes. Joe blow in a 1300 sq. ft. house working 9-5?

I know some people are going to counter with the people demand it so it must be a good reason why it's there. Well people demanded change and we ended up with obama. The people are not allways right.

I would rather have obama president 4 life than ever see another light rail on a gun.

jjfuller1 01-21-2012 01:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DodgerBlue (Post 683673)
I would rather have obama president 4 life than ever see another light rail on a gun.

go wash out your mouth young man... naughty naughty.

Rick1967 01-21-2012 01:55 AM

I have several guns with rails on them. I have never mounted anything on them. Bought the gun because I wanted it. Didnt care about the rail either way.

Hookeye 01-21-2012 05:26 AM

No rails here.

NvRbanArms 01-21-2012 05:33 AM

HK usp - rails
XDm - rails
Glock - rail/no rail
1911 - NO RAIL!!!!!!!!!!!!

rigjumpr 01-21-2012 05:39 AM

Quote:

I recently bought a Sig Scorpion Carry with said stupid light rail. I bought it still, because the pros out numbered the one con being the light rail.

But it's not just the Scorpion. Everything it seems has to have a rail. Who really needs it so bad that it has become the norm?

Police, SWAT, elite units fighting in the dark yes. Joe blow in a 1300 sq. ft. house working 9-5?

I know some people are going to counter with the people demand it so it must be a good reason why it's there. Well people demanded change and we ended up with obama. The people are not allways right.

answered you own question......look at all of the 4X4 SUV's in the big citys being used as Grocery getters same question same answer....see it in the movies, it looks cool, got'a have one.........

texaswoodworker 01-21-2012 06:04 AM

Quote:

He he was President for life, you wouldn't see any more light rails, or guns.

I don't care for the light rails, but that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy the gun if it was good. I would perfer that they offered 2 versions of the gun though. One with the rail, and the other without.

Jstrong 01-21-2012 06:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by DodgerBlue

I would tell you to get it machined off again as I have suggested before if it was a lesser gun... but I don't think I could ruin the finish on such a nice gun that I just bought either.

If not then your forced to put a light/ laser/combo on your gun because everyone knows you MUST use those rails was so you can attach guns to all your lights. Ive got an fnp-45 attached to my m3...

...you should see what's on my nightstand lamp.

Ruzai 01-21-2012 07:54 AM

I'm not 'mall ninja' by any stretch of the imagination. Personally i hate seeing more rails than you need on a gun, especially an AR or a shotgun.

Some of you might think of this as blasphemy but I actually plan on putting a rail on a couple guns that DONT have them. Mind you both of these are very FULL size pistols and I have a legitimate plan for them, not just to be tacticool. One is a Desert Eagle, and I plan to add the rail for a Viridian X5L for hog hunting with it. Green laser on pig, big boom, no more uprooted crops and dinner. :D
The other gun is my 1911 :eek:
Why? Range toy purposes.

On the other hand there are a few carry guns that the rail is nice to have, like my PF-9. I have a laser unit that's small enough to not add hardly any weight and fits the profile of the gun while still fitting into the pocket holster for it. I actually use the laser in conjuction with the iron sights as a training aid and as a quick aiming device but hey...that pesky rail huh? :rolleyes:

gollygee 01-21-2012 05:48 PM

I have pistols with a rail, but only because the manufacturer didn't offer it without. I will not buy a 1911 with a rail. I have one pistol that came with Crimson Trace laser grips. I found it very useful as a training tool, with an empty pistol at home, but triggering the laser on it is different than one on a rail, so I don't know if rail mounted would work as well. I turn it off at the range.