Liberty Ammo
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Liberty Ammo

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Default Liberty Ammo

Hans anyone had any experience with Liberty Ammo? I aquired a box of their 9mm (USM49mm). THe info on the box says that these 50gr. HP rounds fly at 2000fp/s and rate energy at 450fpe. One web site lists them as

Quote:
Liberty Ammunition’s USM4 UltraDefense 9mm +P round moves at a screaming 2000 feet per second! The projectile is a monolithic design, hollow-point, lead-free bullet that significantly outperforms traditional lead-based handgun ammunition across every metric. These handgun rounds have historically only been available to the Military because of their lethality, and have up until recently have been guarded by the Department of Defense under a Level III secret review. Now, after customization specifically for US Law Enforcement and Civilian Handgun Markets, the breakthrough performance projectiles are for the first time being made available to a broader target audience
(Link)

I got two boxes with a 9mm this weekend and did try a mag of them to see how they cycled and they did well.
Here's an overly dramatic vid form the makers

I also found a vid about the Halo Point. Not sure if it's the same as the USM9mm though but they look the same.

If anyone has and any experience with these rounds I'd be interested to hear about it. They seem pretty pricy so I'm not sure about it's value over performance. I just thought they sounded interesting.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-05-2013, 10:07 PM   #2

Liked 286 Times on 248 Posts

Yup, halo point it is. Prefragmented bullets, basically buck shot in a compound that dissolves when impact with liquid like surface such as flesh. Something like that. It's like CorBon and their Glaser Safety Slugs or the weaker les proven Magsafe "SWAT team rounds". The reduced weight of the bullet is how they achieve such high velocity.

Personally I think they sacrifice too much to achieve the velocity. That's why I've chosen to go with Buffalo Bore +P recently. 115gr, 1400fps and 511ft/lb! Now that's a man stopper if placed right!

Last edited by BeyondTheBox; 05-05-2013 at 10:10 PM.

Old 05-06-2013, 02:44 AM   #3

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

The ones I have are called USM49mm but they look to be the same. At a 50 gran slug I do wonder about them being so light. But they where free so I might keep em around a while. The mag I shot actually grouped well but I swear the things feel like aluminum. I will say the weight in the gun is nice ut I"m not all that sure I like them.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-06-2013, 02:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrumJunkie View Post
The ones I have are called USM49mm but they look to be the same. At a 50 gran slug I do wonder about them being so light. But they where free so I might keep em around a while. The mag I shot actually grouped well but I swear the things feel like aluminum. I will say the weight in the gun is nice ut I"m not all that sure I like them.
I still think about buying some just to see what they're like, but I haven't convinced myself to do so yet. Lol

Old 05-06-2013, 02:58 AM   #5

Liked 170 Times on 115 Posts
Likes Given: 20

I son bought four 20 boxes of 9mm at the Tampa Gun Show the first of the year but I don't know if he has fired any. I believe it was less than a $25 a box. He uses my ammo when we go to the range

US Army 1953-1977

‘‘We, the People are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts — not to overthrow the Constitution, but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution.’’
— Abraham Lincoln

Last edited by chuckusaret; 05-06-2013 at 03:00 AM.

Old 05-06-2013, 03:04 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckusaret View Post
I son bought four 20 boxes of 9mm at the Tampa Gun Show the first of the year but I don't know if he has fired any. I believe it was less than a $25 a box. He uses my ammo when we go to the range
Dang kids! Lol

Old 05-06-2013, 07:41 AM   #7

Liked 84 Times on 66 Posts

I question the fact that they say that they were only made available to the military due to lethalality. Due to the fact that the military ,because of the Hague convention,will only use ball ammo.Now maybe in the Special forces but I'll leave that for you to research and decide.

Last edited by SigArmored; 05-06-2013 at 07:56 AM.