Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Liberty Ammo (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/liberty-ammo-90156/)

DrumJunkie 05-05-2013 08:45 PM

Liberty Ammo

Hans anyone had any experience with Liberty Ammo? I aquired a box of their 9mm (USM49mm). THe info on the box says that these 50gr. HP rounds fly at 2000fp/s and rate energy at 450fpe. One web site lists them as
Quote:

Liberty Ammunition’s USM4 UltraDefense 9mm +P round moves at a screaming 2000 feet per second! The projectile is a monolithic design, hollow-point, lead-free bullet that significantly outperforms traditional lead-based handgun ammunition across every metric. These handgun rounds have historically only been available to the Military because of their lethality, and have up until recently have been guarded by the Department of Defense under a Level III secret review. Now, after customization specifically for US Law Enforcement and Civilian Handgun Markets, the breakthrough performance projectiles are for the first time being made available to a broader target audience
(Link)

I got two boxes with a 9mm this weekend and did try a mag of them to see how they cycled and they did well.
Here's an overly dramatic vid form the makers

I also found a vid about the Halo Point. Not sure if it's the same as the USM9mm though but they look the same.

If anyone has and any experience with these rounds I'd be interested to hear about it. They seem pretty pricy so I'm not sure about it's value over performance. I just thought they sounded interesting.

BeyondTheBox 05-05-2013 10:07 PM

Yup, halo point it is. Prefragmented bullets, basically buck shot in a compound that dissolves when impact with liquid like surface such as flesh. Something like that. It's like CorBon and their Glaser Safety Slugs or the weaker les proven Magsafe "SWAT team rounds". The reduced weight of the bullet is how they achieve such high velocity.

Personally I think they sacrifice too much to achieve the velocity. That's why I've chosen to go with Buffalo Bore +P recently. 115gr, 1400fps and 511ft/lb! Now that's a man stopper if placed right!

DrumJunkie 05-06-2013 02:44 AM

The ones I have are called USM49mm but they look to be the same. At a 50 gran slug I do wonder about them being so light. But they where free so I might keep em around a while. The mag I shot actually grouped well but I swear the things feel like aluminum. I will say the weight in the gun is nice ut I"m not all that sure I like them.

BeyondTheBox 05-06-2013 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrumJunkie (Post 1238283)
The ones I have are called USM49mm but they look to be the same. At a 50 gran slug I do wonder about them being so light. But they where free so I might keep em around a while. The mag I shot actually grouped well but I swear the things feel like aluminum. I will say the weight in the gun is nice ut I"m not all that sure I like them.

I still think about buying some just to see what they're like, but I haven't convinced myself to do so yet. Lol

chuckusaret 05-06-2013 02:58 AM

I son bought four 20 boxes of 9mm at the Tampa Gun Show the first of the year but I don't know if he has fired any. I believe it was less than a $25 a box. He uses my ammo when we go to the range:(

BeyondTheBox 05-06-2013 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chuckusaret (Post 1238297)
I son bought four 20 boxes of 9mm at the Tampa Gun Show the first of the year but I don't know if he has fired any. I believe it was less than a $25 a box. He uses my ammo when we go to the range:(

Dang kids! Lol

SigArmored 05-06-2013 07:41 AM

I question the fact that they say that they were only made available to the military due to lethalality. Due to the fact that the military ,because of the Hague convention,will only use ball ammo.Now maybe in the Special forces but I'll leave that for you to research and decide.