You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion >

Let's talk Desert Eagle .44 Magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 02:38 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

LOL! I has a similar thing happen when I was sighting in my 450 Bushmaster with a muzzle break. A couple came to the point next to me (this was an outdoor range) and I heard the girl say she didn't want to be there because "that thing scares the crap out of me!". I was about done for the day anyway but geeze! You're at a shooting range!
Most people ask if they can shoot the DE, they seem fascinated by it.

Jeff Cooper

Old 04-17-2012, 02:55 AM   #12

Liked 69 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 117

Quote:
Originally Posted by LikeABoss View Post
DE platform is a beautiful thing, .44 and .50 use same slide and bolt. Add $500 for a barrel and a couple clips and you have both, barrel can be changed out in less than 20 seconds. No place to shoot a .50 around here for me, when I find some place to shoot it, I'll buy the barrel and the clips. Same platform can switch to a .357 but need barrel, clip, and bolt. Not recommended from what I hear, apparently most .357 DE's need ramp work from a gun smith because the .357 round does not have enough power to cycle the slide.
That's very interesting. I didn't know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
I bought my 50AE simply because I could afford it at the time and it was (still is) just plain unnecessary! Practical? Hell no! I just love the noise and fire when I shoot that thing! I get a huge kick out of others at the indoor range when I touch that thing off. All other shooting generally stops and people are asking WTF? No I'm not an attention hound nor am I "compensating" for anything, I get a lot of enjoyment out of it, period. I sometimes carry it when I'm hunting and if the opportunity ever shows up, I'd like to shoot a deer or please! A black bear with it. It's surprisingly accurate and if you hand load the ammo isn't all that expensive.
I remember going to the range quite some time back, probably eight years or so. I was there shooting a Beretta 9mm when I hear this cannon go off. It caused me pants to vibrate. I stopped shooting immediately to see what it was. Here was this guy with a nickle plated DE .50 caliber. Cause the targets in the other lane to blow in the wake of his muzzle flash.

It was incredible. I've always wanted one since then, for exactly the reasons you love yours. I think it would be a fun gun to shoot. It's certainly on my wish list. But I'll take mine in black.

Old 04-17-2012, 01:54 PM   #13

Liked 370 Times on 294 Posts
Likes Given: 42

And if some guy would have set down next to you with a 460 or 500 revolver maybe even your big bad 44 you would have been complaining for him to move. Nothing like the slap you get from a larger bore revolver when you sit beside it. Even a 357mag loaded hot is harder on the ears than a 44mag. If the guys next to you were shooting rifles ,yea have a handgun ringing in your ear ain't cool. Remember your sitting behind it, not next to it. Range officer should have none better than to stack up shooters on an almost empty range. Try some 340gr +p+ rounds in your de then your stepping it up some.

Last edited by hardluk1; 04-17-2012 at 01:58 PM.

Old 04-17-2012, 07:37 PM   #14

Liked 3564 Times on 2011 Posts
Likes Given: 2449

Let's dismiss a couple fallacies first:

1. You must keep a DE scrupulously clean, even to the point

of field-stripping, cleaning and oiling it after 50 shots at the range.

2.-IME-they don't jam, if you do your job. Which isn't as

easy as, say, "doing your job" with a 9mm Glock.

3. IF you do your job, and also aim well, they are

faultlessly accurate.

That said, I get no better enjoyment from any other gun I

have. It kicks out a hilarious fireball with WWB ammo, and with

a box of the good stuff, it's like savoring a fine brandy.

I CC this gun sometimes, because I can't even imagine

a BGs reaction when this thunderous hand cannon begins

to roar. It makes most other pistols, 1911A1s included,

seem small by comparison. IMO, it probably helps if you're

a big guy, because mine fills my hand beautifully.

The DE44 is a great conversation starter at the range.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I enjoy trying

other peoples guns at the range, and somebody always

wants to try out the DE44.

Last edited by therewolf; 04-17-2012 at 07:44 PM.

Old 04-17-2012, 08:53 PM   #15
mcb

Liked 71 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I agree with the above post its fun to have a conversation starter.

I had an AMT Automag III 30 Carbine. No real purpose but because the round was designed for a longer barrel it shot a ball of fire with every shot. Always drew a crowd at the range. I currently have a 30 Carbine Blackhawk same deal no purpose just fun.

Old 04-18-2012, 01:31 PM   #16

Liked 3564 Times on 2011 Posts
Likes Given: 2449

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
And if some guy would have set down next to you with a 460 or 500 revolver maybe even your big bad 44 you would have been complaining for him to move. Nothing like the slap you get from a larger bore revolver when you sit beside it. Even a 357mag loaded hot is harder on the ears than a 44mag. If the guys next to you were shooting rifles ,yea have a handgun ringing in your ear ain't cool. Remember your sitting behind it, not next to it. Range officer should have none better than to stack up shooters on an almost empty range. Try some 340gr +p+ rounds in your de then your stepping it up some.
I've done the range with guys shooting H&H magnums, you can literally

feel a breeze from the shock waves, not to mention the

noise. I feel sorry for that guy's shoulder, later in the day.

And, yes, there are definitely larger caliber pistols out there.

My DE44 serves a dual purpose. It's a pistol

match-up with my .44 Marlin 1894 for boar hunting, as well as my

"guilty pleasure" gun.

Old 04-19-2012, 12:39 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 271 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 197

Quote:
Originally Posted by hardluk1 View Post
Someone wants to bring a bigger gun, i say bring it! Not going to blow up my gun with the 340gr +p+ but thank you for the suggestion. Anyone has a gun I can shoot this ammo out of, bring it and I will shoot it until my hand is numb, repeat and do it again.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:51 AM   #18

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 10

I've owned a .357 Model for many years now. They are excellent "fun guns" they are also highly accurate and perfectly reliable. Someday soon I plan on adding a .44 mag version.

Old 04-19-2012, 01:52 AM   #19

Liked 36 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcb View Post
I agree with the above post its fun to have a conversation starter.

I had an AMT Automag III 30 Carbine. No real purpose but because the round was designed for a longer barrel it shot a ball of fire with every shot. Always drew a crowd at the range. I currently have a 30 Carbine Blackhawk same deal no purpose just fun.
This combo split between two shooters usually draws quite the crowd

Let's talk Desert Eagle .44 Magnum - General Handgun Discussion

Old 04-19-2012, 02:13 AM   #20

Liked 61 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 15

This is the some what rare LAR Grizzly .45 Win Mag. it also has a .357 Mag. Conv. unit. It is a super sized 1911 pistol. These are very popular in big bear country.

Let's talk Desert Eagle .44 Magnum - General Handgun Discussion