Let's talk Desert Eagle .44 Magnum
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Let's talk Desert Eagle .44 Magnum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2012, 01:37 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 165 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 101

Default Let's talk Desert Eagle .44 Magnum

I am a NOOB to this forum and I resurrected a 3 year old thread and the moderation around this place closed it, why is resurrecting threads a bad thing? Lots of people chatting on the old thread but moderation closed it, why? If members of forum want the resurrection, why restrict it by closing it? I don't get it.

Anyway, back to the DE....the power and lack of expected recoil is amazing!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2012, 01:44 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 269 Times on 211 Posts
Likes Given: 36

If you resurrect an old thread, some folks get annoyed. If you start a new thread about an already discussed subject, some (often the very same) folks take offense. Go figure.

DE's are interesting but terribly impractical guns in my opinion. Unless of course you have monsterous hands. If I want 44mag+ power in a pistol, I'll opt for revolver. If I want substantial semi-auto power, I'd simply prefer a more affordable, practical, and higher capacity gun like a Glock 20 (10mm).

Old 04-17-2012, 01:57 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Yea, go figure, fickle bunch of gun toting savages!

It's a novelty for me and just plain fun to shoot. I will reach for my .40 S&W or .45 ACP if I need to protect myself.

I wanted my next purchase to be a big caliber, I looked at 10mm, only a couple manufacturers out there, came down to a Kimber and a Glock, already have a Glock 21, didn't want another. The Kimber's are really nice, then started reading about it being a dead caliber and assumed the price and availability of ammo would continue to increase exponentially with manufacturers deciding not to produce at all or in the masses. I can't handle more than a box or so from my Ruger GP 100, kills my hand, so didn't want another revolver.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:02 AM   #4

Liked 217 Times on 137 Posts
Likes Given: 450

Yes, it often seems on this forum we are only allowed to discuss topics which are approved by certain people, some people like to feel important so they have to throw their weight around internet forums. It is annoying, I guess we are not allowed to discuss things which were discussed before nor are we allowed to start a new topic about the subject because it is redundant. Some people would prefer this to be a online reference rather than a social forum, which is why you may have been told to search previous threads. As far as I'm concerned discuss whatever you like and if they don't like it they have the choice to not click on the thread and read it's contents. I have always been curious about the Desert Eagle but have never had the opportunity to shoot one, I don't know of anyone who owns one. I do think they are more of a specialty type item than a useful one though just as sweeper22 said, there are practical sized autos out there with some good spank to em.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:13 AM   #5
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2334 Times on 1256 Posts
Likes Given: 842

So let's see... when was this thread started... this morning, eh... I guess we'll let this one stand.

im-watching-you-focker.jpg  

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 04-17-2012, 02:26 AM   #6

Liked 2007 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

I have had brief thoughts of purchasing a Desert Eagle. But then I realize that there are better things to do with my money.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-17-2012, 02:58 AM   #7

Liked 68 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweeper22 View Post
DE's are interesting but terribly impractical guns in my opinion. Unless of course you have monsterous hands. If I want 44mag+ power in a pistol, I'll opt for revolver. If I want substantial semi-auto power, I'd simply prefer a more affordable, practical, and higher capacity gun like a Glock 20 (10mm).
My thoughts exactly. In fact, that's what I did. I just bought me a S&W M29. If I'm going to buy a .44 magnum it's going to be a revolver. Conversely, if I'm going to buy a DE it's going to be a .50 caliber.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:04 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polygon View Post
My thoughts exactly. In fact, that's what I did. I just bought me a S&W M29. If I'm going to buy a .44 magnum it's going to be a revolver. Conversely, if I'm going to buy a DE it's going to be a .50 caliber.
DE platform is a beautiful thing, .44 and .50 use same slide and bolt. Add $500 for a barrel and a couple clips and you have both, barrel can be changed out in less than 20 seconds. No place to shoot a .50 around here for me, when I find some place to shoot it, I'll buy the barrel and the clips. Same platform can switch to a .357 but need barrel, clip, and bolt. Not recommended from what I hear, apparently most .357 DE's need ramp work from a gun smith because the .357 round does not have enough power to cycle the slide.

Old 04-17-2012, 03:24 AM   #9

Liked 75 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 291

I bought my 50AE simply because I could afford it at the time and it was (still is) just plain unnecessary! Practical? Hell no! I just love the noise and fire when I shoot that thing! I get a huge kick out of others at the indoor range when I touch that thing off. All other shooting generally stops and people are asking WTF? No I'm not an attention hound nor am I "compensating" for anything, I get a lot of enjoyment out of it, period. I sometimes carry it when I'm hunting and if the opportunity ever shows up, I'd like to shoot a deer or please! A black bear with it. It's surprisingly accurate and if you hand load the ammo isn't all that expensive.

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, but evil is not overcome by fleeing from it"

Jeff Cooper

Old 04-17-2012, 03:33 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
I get a huge kick out of others at the indoor range when I touch that thing off. All other shooting generally stops and people are asking WTF?
At range today with .44, the range fella knew I had a DE, he inspected it!

The entire range had three stalls full, he put me right between two other couples, I had to chuckle at his bad placement decision. So with my little ear plugs under my big ears I started unloading. Yes, I realized the blast is disruptive, yes, I noticed their targets were blowing around, was that my problem or range managements problem? The range fella, came out, asked me to move down to the lane at the end because the others couldn't concentrate! BTW, they were not competitive shooters

Hope if any bad guys ever come after them they are polite and don't make too much noise.

Oh, C'MON!