Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Let's justify the $300 price difference on these two firearms. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/lets-justify-300-price-difference-these-two-firearms-28009/)

tcraig23 06-06-2010 11:36 PM

Let's justify the $300 price difference on these two firearms.
 
Ruger LCR w/Crimson Trace Laser. $600
Smith & Wessn M&P340 CT, Crimson Trace Grip. $900

skullcrusher 06-06-2010 11:44 PM

Can you be more specific? LCR in .38+p vs M&P340 in .357 mag?

Shihan 06-06-2010 11:45 PM

I would think that when the LCR357 comes available and equipped with the CT, you will probably see the price difference shrink. S&W is .357 and the LCR is .38spc.

That is my only guess.

tcraig23 06-06-2010 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skullcrusher (Post 295920)
Can you be more specific? LCR in .38+p vs M&P340 in .357 mag?

Sorry, yes, it is 38+p vs. 357 mag. As I research this, I notice Ruger is coming out with the 357 now for their LCR line. I would imagine the crimson trace grip will be out soon after. So let's compare apple to apples.

spittinfire 06-07-2010 12:31 AM

You are comparing apples to oranges IMO. A 38 to a 357 isn't a comparison. If you load them both with the same round I think it's an opinion issue at that point. The smith uses much more expensive matrials and the Rugers may have a one up on the smith with its cammed trigger. Again, that is only preference.

gorknoids 06-07-2010 02:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by spittinfire (Post 295939)
You are comparing apples to oranges IMO. A 38 to a 357 isn't a comparison. If you load them both with the same round I think it's an opinion issue at that point. The smith uses much more expensive matrials and the Rugers may have a one up on the smith with its cammed trigger. Again, that is only preference.

"DING!!!!" A .38 ain't ever gonn'a be a .357, no matter what the calipers say.

Gojubrian 06-07-2010 05:47 AM

Smith's are usually more expensive anyway, but the caliber difference is the price difference here too.

tcraig23 06-07-2010 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gojubrian (Post 296089)
Smith's are usually more expensive anyway, but the caliber difference is the price difference here too.

All true, but the new Ruger LCR 357 mag. is listed at the same MSRP as this 38.

diggsbakes 06-07-2010 08:44 PM

I love my Rugers to death, but Smith's are nicer guns, not as solid, but just plain sweet.

I agree that it is comparing apples to oranges.

Smiths always run higher than Rugers and if you desire a finer, smoother firearm, then it's worth it.

Anybody who knows me, knows I'm a BIG Ruger fan. They both have their place in my safe! ;)

Dave T 06-08-2010 06:07 PM

The smart alick answer would be...if you want that much more recoil in your hand you have to pay for it.

A more serious answer would be that historically Rugers of similar designs have been cheeper than a similar offering from S&W.

Dave


All times are GMT. The time now is 12:59 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.