Lets hear your theory

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Lets hear your theory

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 10:52 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 206 Times on 154 Posts

Default Lets hear your theory

Any more when a shoot any pistol mine or someone else's, I hit just slightly to the left. With rifle I don't do it. I am right handed so you would think if it has to do with trigger pull in would be to the right. Also this seams to have developed in my later years. Ok let's have it.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-24-2012, 10:54 PM   #2

Liked 360 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 167

Aim right. If its 9oclok it's placement of your finger if it's up and left 10-11ish it's anticipating

"Regardless of whether justified of not, you will feel sad about killing another human being. It is better to be sad than to be room temperature." - Joe B Fricks.

Member:
01 FFL, GOFFA, NRA, GOA, IAVA, VFW, ABATE of Iowa D15.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:05 PM   #3

Liked 1095 Times on 656 Posts
Likes Given: 55

Are you slightly flinching? That's what happened to me when I first started shooting.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:11 PM   #4

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

At this point it might simply be psychological (I had to google to spell that correctly), have you considered you might be thinking you are shooting left, causing you to shoot left?

Maybe try shooting a handgun you have never shot before and have no idea what the trigger pull is like. Don't dry fire it, just go out and shoot 10 at a target and then check the target to see how you did, try to ignore your previous shots until the end.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 06-24-2012, 11:14 PM   #5
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2548 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1284

kycol,

A couple of things that I know will cause this is. 1. Pulling or putting too much pressure with your support hand fingers overlapping your shooting hand fingers when firing supported with two hands. Also putting any of the fingers of the weak supporting hand on the front of the trigger guard when shooting supported with both hands. Both of the above will cause the shot to go slightly to the left.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 06-24-2012, 11:17 PM   #6

I aim a.little to the right to bulls eye. I am just seeing the sights this way for some reason. Or something I'm doing is just cosistant to the left.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:19 PM   #7

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Funny you bring this up. I got away from pistols for a few years concentrating on rifles more.

I bought a nice pistol that sparked my interest in pistol shooting again, the pistol came with a factory target that proved the pistol shot great but yet I continued to shoot left and slightly low. After much shooting and frustration I ran across this little chart that helped me a lot.

It made perfect since because I developed a trigger pull for rifles that hurt my pistol shooting badly. I ended up correcting my pistol problem by using more trigger finger instead of the pad like I do for rifles.
Give it a try, it might help

Old 06-24-2012, 11:20 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sniper03
kycol,

A couple of things that I know will cause this is. 1. Pulling or putting too much pressure with your support hand fingers overlapping your shooting hand fingers when firing supported with two hands. Also putting any of the fingers of the weak supporting hand on the front of the trigger guard when shooting supported with both hands. Both of the above will cause the shot to go slightly to the left.

You may be right on this one because if I shoot 1 handed arm out to right it doesn't happen.

Old 06-24-2012, 11:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli700
Funny you bring this up. I got away from pistols for a few years concentrating on rifles more.

I bought a nice pistol that sparked my interest in pistol shooting again, the pistol came with a factory target that proved the pistol shot great but yet I continued to shoot left and slightly low. After much shooting and frustration I ran across this little chart that helped me a lot.

It made perfect since because I developed a trigger pull for rifles that hurt my pistol shooting badly. I ended up correcting my pistol problem by using more trigger finger instead of the pad like I do for rifles.
Give it a try, it might help
Thanks I will try this out.

Old 06-26-2012, 09:32 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 42 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 53

kycol,

I had a similar problem a while back and it was driving me crazy...I just couldn't figure it out while I was at the range. Then I was doing some dry fire practice, and I saw my sights move just as the trigger broke. You might give that a try. Aim at a blank wall to avoid being distracted by a target, and just focus on the sights when you squeeze the trigger. And if it doesn't work, it didn't cost you anything.

"An armed society is a polite society." — Robert A. Heinlein

"After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. I sure as hell wouldn't want to live in a society where the only people allowed guns are the police and the military."
— William S. Burroughs