Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Lets hear your theory (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/lets-hear-your-theory-67032/)

kycol 06-24-2012 10:52 PM

Lets hear your theory

Any more when a shoot any pistol mine or someone else's, I hit just slightly to the left. With rifle I don't do it. I am right handed so you would think if it has to do with trigger pull in would be to the right. Also this seams to have developed in my later years. Ok let's have it.

silverado113 06-24-2012 10:54 PM

Aim right. If its 9oclok it's placement of your finger if it's up and left 10-11ish it's anticipating

Fathead00 06-24-2012 11:05 PM

Are you slightly flinching? That's what happened to me when I first started shooting.

Yunus 06-24-2012 11:11 PM

At this point it might simply be psychological (I had to google to spell that correctly), have you considered you might be thinking you are shooting left, causing you to shoot left?

Maybe try shooting a handgun you have never shot before and have no idea what the trigger pull is like. Don't dry fire it, just go out and shoot 10 at a target and then check the target to see how you did, try to ignore your previous shots until the end.

Sniper03 06-24-2012 11:14 PM

kycol,

A couple of things that I know will cause this is. 1. Pulling or putting too much pressure with your support hand fingers overlapping your shooting hand fingers when firing supported with two hands. Also putting any of the fingers of the weak supporting hand on the front of the trigger guard when shooting supported with both hands. Both of the above will cause the shot to go slightly to the left. :)

kycol 06-24-2012 11:17 PM

I aim a.little to the right to bulls eye. I am just seeing the sights this way for some reason. Or something I'm doing is just cosistant to the left.

oli700 06-24-2012 11:19 PM

Funny you bring this up. I got away from pistols for a few years concentrating on rifles more.

I bought a nice pistol that sparked my interest in pistol shooting again, the pistol came with a factory target that proved the pistol shot great but yet I continued to shoot left and slightly low. After much shooting and frustration I ran across this little chart that helped me a lot.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f6...tion_chart.gif

It made perfect since because I developed a trigger pull for rifles that hurt my pistol shooting badly. I ended up correcting my pistol problem by using more trigger finger instead of the pad like I do for rifles.
Give it a try, it might help

kycol 06-24-2012 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper03
kycol,

A couple of things that I know will cause this is. 1. Pulling or putting too much pressure with your support hand fingers overlapping your shooting hand fingers when firing supported with two hands. Also putting any of the fingers of the weak supporting hand on the front of the trigger guard when shooting supported with both hands. Both of the above will cause the shot to go slightly to the left. :)

You may be right on this one because if I shoot 1 handed arm out to right it doesn't happen.

kycol 06-24-2012 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oli700
Funny you bring this up. I got away from pistols for a few years concentrating on rifles more.

I bought a nice pistol that sparked my interest in pistol shooting again, the pistol came with a factory target that proved the pistol shot great but yet I continued to shoot left and slightly low. After much shooting and frustration I ran across this little chart that helped me a lot.

It made perfect since because I developed a trigger pull for rifles that hurt my pistol shooting badly. I ended up correcting my pistol problem by using more trigger finger instead of the pad like I do for rifles.
Give it a try, it might help

Thanks I will try this out.

utf59 06-26-2012 09:32 PM

kycol,

I had a similar problem a while back and it was driving me crazy...I just couldn't figure it out while I was at the range. Then I was doing some dry fire practice, and I saw my sights move just as the trigger broke. You might give that a try. Aim at a blank wall to avoid being distracted by a target, and just focus on the sights when you squeeze the trigger. And if it doesn't work, it didn't cost you anything. :D