Let me know how that works out. - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Let me know how that works out.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2013, 04:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 516 Times on 279 Posts
Likes Given: 112

I've seen it over and over again. People who actually live in bear country and deal with bears never recommend anything smaller than a .44 Magnum for a sidearm. Then they immediately tell you that you shouldn't only have just a sidearm if you think you'll actually encounter a bear.

As far as I'm concerned, the locals are the experts in this matter. I have yet to meet or interact with anyone from "bear country" that thinks ANYTHING in .357 Magnum is a good idea. That alone makes me thankful there are no bears around here.

"For every problem there is always a solution that is simple, obvious, and wrong." - Mark Twain

Old 10-16-2013, 05:41 PM   #12
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2888 Times on 1667 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

If using the hollow base wad cutters, he probably handloaded them backwards to use as a cheap hollow point.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

Old 10-16-2013, 06:53 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I lose! I thought they were more like the "truncated cone" bullets.

http://www.lasc.us/TaylorElmerKeithSWC.htm

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3726 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 1224

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum
Mebbe I'm being too elitist
What else is new, ya liberal cigar puffing snob?

Just kidding.

Always have clean socks.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:33 PM   #15

Liked 1139 Times on 591 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402 View Post
He was probably counting on the increase in hydrostatic shock caused by the flat face of the wadcutter once the projectile exited his snubby.

On a more serious note, have you ever tried loading a hollow based wadcutter backwards with a gas check?
That was the load I carried in my Chief's Special.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:40 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by txpossum View Post
That was the load I carried in my Chief's Special.
I used one in .357 mag to slaughter one of my boss's hogs. Very impressive. Too bad you can't use them today without getting a jury all over your butt.

Old 10-16-2013, 09:52 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402
I used one in .357 mag to slaughter one of my boss's hogs. Very impressive. Too bad you can't use them today without getting a jury all over your butt.
Bah. Use what you wanna use. If deadly force was justified then in the end it's not gonna matter what round you used. The prosecutor will try find a way to make you look like a vigilante psycho no matter what you do. Thats his job.

If it looked like it was REALLY going to be a problem: "those are the rounds I use when I go hunting because they're inexpensive for me to make and they do a good job on hogs. I must have forgotten to change them out for my self defense ammo last time I was on the deer stand."

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 10-16-2013 at 09:55 PM.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:05 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Bah. Use what you wanna use. If deadly force was justified then in the end it's not gonna matter what round you used. The prosecutor will try find a way to make you look like a vigilante psycho no matter what you do. Thats his job.

If it looked like it was REALLY going to be a problem: "those are the rounds I use when I go hunting because they're inexpensive for me to make and they do a good job on hogs. I must have forgotten to change them out for my self defense ammo last time I was on the deer stand."
If this was a more conservative county I would go along with what you are saying. Unfortunately we are so liberal I'm almost afraid to put black grips on my firearms. Believe it or not, there has even been some discussion about disarming our LEOs because it works so well in England. Thankfully that one didn't go far. One good case of blue flu and it was all but forgotten.

Old 10-16-2013, 10:08 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc3402
If this was a more conservative county I would go along with what you are saying. Unfortunately we are so liberal I'm almost afraid to put black grips on my firearms. Believe it or not, there has even been some discussion about disarming our LEOs because it works so well in England. Thankfully that one didn't go far. One good case of blue flu and it was all but forgotten.
The jury selection process is still designed to weed out anti gun freaks in these cases. Keep in mind, your defense attorney has to approve of all of your jurors.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 10-17-2013, 12:42 AM   #20

Liked 1982 Times on 1258 Posts
Likes Given: 1079

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazedJava View Post
I've seen it over and over again. People who actually live in bear country and deal with bears never recommend anything smaller than a .44 Magnum for a sidearm. Then they immediately tell you that you shouldn't only have just a sidearm if you think you'll actually encounter a bear.

As far as I'm concerned, the locals are the experts in this matter. I have yet to meet or interact with anyone from "bear country" that thinks ANYTHING in .357 Magnum is a good idea. That alone makes me thankful there are no bears around here.
But I have a couple of 357 magnums, and I've never seen a bear 'round these parts. It MUST work.

Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver.
You do the math.