Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Let me know how that works out. (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/let-me-know-how-works-out-98953/)

txpossum 10-16-2013 12:36 PM

Let me know how that works out.

When attempting to look up information on a question that came to mind, I came across a thread on another forum discussing what firearms were the best for protection against bears (what an original topic).

One person posted that he would choose a .357 magnum loaded with "wadcutters". Okay. Mebbe he was suicidal and carried a lot of life insurance. Or maybe he was talking about a "keith" type bullet.

I don't know why lately I'm seeing a lot of misunderstanding about what I wadcutter is. Seems pretty simple to me. However, how many here know what a typical "keith" load would be like? It's cheating if you look on the internet.

eatmydust 10-16-2013 12:49 PM

Wait just a minute there, aren't I already looking on the internet?:D

txpossum 10-16-2013 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eatmydust (Post 1403379)
Wait just a minute there, aren't I already looking on the internet?:D

Sigh. It's cheating if you have to LOOK UP what a Keith type bullet is.

I can tell already, it's going to be one of those days.

kytowboater 10-16-2013 12:59 PM

I have forgotten. I assume you speak of Elmer. I've read most of his books that I can find.

SSGN_Doc 10-16-2013 02:32 PM

Keith was a proponent of a heavy, hard cast Semi-wadcutter bullet with a cutting shoulder designe, pushed pretty fast, and his heavy .44 special loads were instrumental in delveloping the .44 magnum. Pretty sure his signature .44 bullet mold from Lyman drops a 240 or 250 grain bullet if my memory serves me.

txpossum 10-16-2013 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc (Post 1403454)
Keith was a proponent of a heavy, hard cast Semi-wadcutter bullet with a cutting shoulder designe, pushed pretty fast, and his heavy .44 special loads were instrumental in delveloping the .44 magnum. Pretty sure his signature .44 bullet mold from Lyman drops a 240 or 250 grain bullet if my memory serves me.

DING DING DING We have a winner.

JonM 10-16-2013 03:20 PM

He was right but its nothing new. Only new in terms of handguns. The dangerous game recipe has always been big heavy hard fast bullets. All Keith did was translate that to handguns.

txpossum 10-16-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1403480)
He was right but its nothing new. Only new in terms of handguns. The dangerous game recipe has always been big heavy hard fast bullets. All Keith did was translate that to handguns.

I'd have to look it up, but I seem to remember Skeeter Skelton being a fan of a hard cast, keith type bullet also, for the .357.

Mebbe I'm being too elitist, but I was amazed that this poster elsewhere made the comment about a .357 loaded with wadcutters being his choice for bear, and nobody asked him whether he REALLY meant wadcutters.

txpossum 10-16-2013 03:51 PM

I remember when my father and I would cast bullets, back when I was a teen, he used a combination of wheel weights and linotype metal (he actually owned a linotype them). Made a nice, hard bullet.

Doc3402 10-16-2013 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by txpossum (Post 1403499)
I'd have to look it up, but I seem to remember Skeeter Skelton being a fan of a hard cast, keith type bullet also, for the .357.

Mebbe I'm being too elitist, but I was amazed that this poster elsewhere made the comment about a .357 loaded with wadcutters being his choice for bear, and nobody asked him whether he REALLY meant wadcutters.

He was probably counting on the increase in hydrostatic shock caused by the flat face of the wadcutter once the projectile exited his snubby.

On a more serious note, have you ever tried loading a hollow based wadcutter backwards with a gas check?