Lefty or righty?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Lefty or righty?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2012, 08:22 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Lefty or righty?

Is there anyone out there that is left handed but shoot pistols right handed. If so, how do you do it. Ex: hold righty, aim left eye. Vice versa. I have a problem with that. Really can't figure out if I should be shooting right or left and which eye to use. I'm lefty, so far I been using right hand and both eyes open. Or left eye closed. Am I doing it right?
richone Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-16-2012, 09:05 AM   #2

Liked 12 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Figure out witch eye is dominate and aim with that eye. For handguns you shouldn't have a problem using either hand with your dominate eye.

To find out witch eye is dominate cut a hole in a piece of paper about the size of a half dollar. Hold the paper all the way out in your hands and look through to hole at an object in the room. Slowly bring the paper towards your face while constantly focusing on the object. The eye that the hole comes back to is dominate.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

Old 01-16-2012, 09:20 AM   #3

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I'm right handed but I have to shoot left handed because I'm left eye dominate. Took some getting used.
NRA Member

Old 01-16-2012, 11:01 AM   #4

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by NvRbanArms View Post
Is there anyone out there that is left handed but shoot pistols right handed. If so, how do you do it. Ex: hold righty, aim left eye. Vice versa. I have a problem with that. Really can't figure out if I should be shooting right or left and which eye to use. I'm lefty, so far I been using right hand and both eyes open. Or left eye closed. Am I doing it right?
You are confusing the issue.

With a pistol, use the hand you can work the weapon with best; you are instinctively going to use the eye that is dominant if you keep them both open.

With a rifle it can get tricky. I used to use my bad eye so I could hold the rifle right handed. When I started shooting, no one told me the importance of using my dominant eye.
After I started shooting farther with small targets I needed to use my good eye as to see the target clearly, using iron sights. Using a scope wasn't a problem.

Now I shoot rifles left handed, and pistols right handed. I can shoot with either hand using rifles though.

A shotgun I still shoot right handed since I keep both eyes open anyway.

Old 01-16-2012, 01:20 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I am right handed but left eye dominate. I just practiced shooting left handed which everyone needs to do learn to shoot from your weak hand.
“There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period.” Ted Nugent

Old 01-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #6

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I'am a lefty and handguns I shoot left handed and rifles i shoot right handed becouse i just shoot what feels natural

Old 01-16-2012, 04:52 PM   #7

Liked 1040 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I am right handed,i shoot pistols and my M4 right handed but i shoot shotguns and bolt action scoped rifles left handed

Old 01-16-2012, 04:55 PM   #8

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts

Right handed shooting for everything.

Old 01-16-2012, 05:05 PM   #9

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Im left handed but i shoot right handed, pistols, shotguns, rifles. I can shoot left handed if needed but my strong side is right, which is kinda odd i guess because i cant even draw a circle let alone write right handed.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 01-17-2012, 01:01 PM   #10

Liked 164 Times on 116 Posts
Likes Given: 260

Just posted this on another thread, My daughter is a lefty and shoots better right handed, due to being right eye dominate. I am working with her to change her grip to rotate the gun to the 1-2:00 to bring the sights to her dominate eye and shoot left handed. She would rather grip the gun lefty but has not gotten comfortable with rotating the gun yet. She has always tried to do everything right handed and shoots better for now right handed but says it is uncomfortable. When she gets the rotation down to shoot lefty look out as she will be able to shoot well with both hands.

The rotating the gun works well for me as I am right handed and left eye dominate so I rotate to 11:00. This tightened my groups up after a week of practice.

You give Peace a chance, we will cover you if it doesn't work out.