Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Lefty or righty? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/lefty-righty-55590/)

NvRbanArms 01-16-2012 08:22 AM

Lefty or righty?

Is there anyone out there that is left handed but shoot pistols right handed. If so, how do you do it. Ex: hold righty, aim left eye. Vice versa. I have a problem with that. Really can't figure out if I should be shooting right or left and which eye to use. I'm lefty, so far I been using right hand and both eyes open. Or left eye closed. Am I doing it right?

linuxuser3890 01-16-2012 09:05 AM

Figure out witch eye is dominate and aim with that eye. For handguns you shouldn't have a problem using either hand with your dominate eye.

To find out witch eye is dominate cut a hole in a piece of paper about the size of a half dollar. Hold the paper all the way out in your hands and look through to hole at an object in the room. Slowly bring the paper towards your face while constantly focusing on the object. The eye that the hole comes back to is dominate.

Sent from my Inspire 4G using FirearmsTalk

Reaper61 01-16-2012 09:20 AM

I'm right handed but I have to shoot left handed because I'm left eye dominate. Took some getting used.

The_Kid 01-16-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NvRbanArms (Post 678599)
Is there anyone out there that is left handed but shoot pistols right handed. If so, how do you do it. Ex: hold righty, aim left eye. Vice versa. I have a problem with that. Really can't figure out if I should be shooting right or left and which eye to use. I'm lefty, so far I been using right hand and both eyes open. Or left eye closed. Am I doing it right?

You are confusing the issue.

With a pistol, use the hand you can work the weapon with best; you are instinctively going to use the eye that is dominant if you keep them both open.

With a rifle it can get tricky. I used to use my bad eye so I could hold the rifle right handed. When I started shooting, no one told me the importance of using my dominant eye.
After I started shooting farther with small targets I needed to use my good eye as to see the target clearly, using iron sights. Using a scope wasn't a problem.

Now I shoot rifles left handed, and pistols right handed. I can shoot with either hand using rifles though.

A shotgun I still shoot right handed since I keep both eyes open anyway.

007BondJamesBond007 01-16-2012 01:20 PM

I am right handed but left eye dominate. I just practiced shooting left handed which everyone needs to do learn to shoot from your weak hand.

Riverg420 01-16-2012 04:27 PM

I'am a lefty and handguns I shoot left handed and rifles i shoot right handed becouse i just shoot what feels natural

MrWray 01-16-2012 04:52 PM

I am right handed,i shoot pistols and my M4 right handed but i shoot shotguns and bolt action scoped rifles left handed

BullseyePrecision 01-16-2012 04:55 PM

Right handed shooting for everything.

dragunovsks 01-16-2012 05:05 PM

Im left handed but i shoot right handed, pistols, shotguns, rifles. I can shoot left handed if needed but my strong side is right, which is kinda odd i guess because i cant even draw a circle let alone write right handed.

levelcross 01-17-2012 01:01 PM

Just posted this on another thread, My daughter is a lefty and shoots better right handed, due to being right eye dominate. I am working with her to change her grip to rotate the gun to the 1-2:00 to bring the sights to her dominate eye and shoot left handed. She would rather grip the gun lefty but has not gotten comfortable with rotating the gun yet. She has always tried to do everything right handed and shoots better for now right handed but says it is uncomfortable. When she gets the rotation down to shoot lefty look out as she will be able to shoot well with both hands.

The rotating the gun works well for me as I am right handed and left eye dominate so I rotate to 11:00. This tightened my groups up after a week of practice.