Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Handgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/)
-   -   Left handed guns (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f14/left-handed-guns-54328/)

jcast 12-29-2011 02:46 AM

Left handed guns

Just starting a thread for leftys. Looking to purchase my first gun soon and thinking of the Fn FNX 9, S&W M&P9 or Walther PPQ. Any lefty have time on these and want to give some input or just say what ya got and why you like it. What's a good compact? Thanks in advanced. Kind of new to guns but trying to Learn fast. Hate NY waiting period.

Ghostman2nv 12-29-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcast
Just starting a thread for leftys. Looking to purchase my first gun soon and thinking of the Fn FNX 9, S&W M&P9 or Walther PPQ. Any lefty have time on these and want to give some input or just say what ya got and why you like it. What's a good compact? Thanks in advanced. Kind of new to guns but trying to Learn fast. Hate NY waiting period.

I have a PPQ i just bought and i love it, its perfect, the mag and slide release are perfect for either left or right
Very hard to beat that set up for a lefty,the berretta nano is ambidextrious as well,the kimber carry solo is except the slide release is not but all other functions are.
I highly rec the PPQ, never shot a finer weapon and ive shot alot,, got feel one and touch one , trigger is amazing

Sonic82 12-29-2011 10:55 PM

I'm not left handed, but an XDM 3.8 compact should work fine. And it's a great pistol.

jcast 12-30-2011 12:28 AM

Thanks ghost. Will check those out. Been mainly looking for my full size and been ignoring looking into a compact. I have big hands so finding a nice fitting compact will be fun. Think my friend has a Kimber solo, I just haven't been able to try it out.

I heard some different reviews about xdms and left me not doing much research. In NY you can't touch a gun until you get your permit so it's hard to get a good idea. Not like I can stop by a store and check them out. Plus there is no range around that will really let me tea shoot to see. Really confused about what to start with. All I can do is tell you I'm excited and waiting sucks.

Sonic82 12-30-2011 01:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcast (Post 662425)
I heard some different reviews about xdms and left me not doing much research

When you find the time...you'll have to fill me in. I've found very little negative press on XDM's.

gollygee 12-30-2011 05:51 PM

The Bersa 9mm, .40&W & .45ACP are lefty friendly with ambi safety & slide stop & the mag release can be switched over. Something that I read from another lefty, though, was he learned to shoot left handed with standard right handed controls. That way, he's not limited by brand, etc. Just something to think about.

jcast 12-30-2011 10:58 PM

Not necessarily bad reviews just that for the dollar might want to look for something else. I look on YouTube alot so who knows what they say. The only one I really go by is nutnfancy. And as for learning to shoot right handed guns I do it all time time. All my friends are so I know how to. Just want the comfort of lefty config and be able to switch mags faster. I mean everyone has their opinion. Just want ambidextrous so I and rightys can shoot it.

I will check out bersa as a secondary gun. But I'm pretty much locked on my top 3 of choice. Just depends which one of them feels better.

Anybody have a review of the hk USP? Shot a hk p2000 and loved it but it was .40 and just not what I want to start with.

Sonic82 12-31-2011 12:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jcast (Post 663166)
Not necessarily bad reviews just that for the dollar might want to look for something else. I look on YouTube alot so who knows what they say. The only one I really go by is nutnfancy. And as for learning to shoot right handed guns I do it all time time. All my friends are so I know how to. Just want the comfort of lefty config and be able to switch mags faster. I mean everyone has their opinion. Just want ambidextrous so I and rightys can shoot it.

I will check out bersa as a secondary gun. But I'm pretty much locked on my top 3 of choice. Just depends which one of them feels better.

Anybody have a review of the hk USP? Shot a hk p2000 and loved it but it was .40 and just not what I want to start with.

Well, IMO you're missing out. This is the guy to listen to. Big time Glock guy..but knows his s***...

bigbomar4 12-31-2011 03:20 AM

Im a lefty and shoot left handed. I have no problems shooting a "right handed" pistol. I find it is easier the hit the mag release with my trigger finger than it is with my thumb on ambi guns. The safety being taking off is just part of my normal draw when I reach for the pistol my thumb is on the left side of the gun and flicks it off as I pull then goes back to its normal position. The slide release is the only think I can't work on right handed pistols. This does not bother me at all as I never use it anyways. Its one movment insert mag, pull slide back. I see no reason to limit your pistol selection to "left handed" pistols.

jcast 12-31-2011 11:26 PM

I'm not. Just would be easier. I shoot my friends right handed guns so I have the knowledge on how they function. When I get my permit I most likely will get the fnx9 seeing as they don't have a compact and I really like the way it "seems" to be. But I'll probably get a compact also for concealed carry. Any suggestions? Sr9c? M&P9c? Hichcock45 has a review on it and said good things. He is good to watch. Thanks for that link.