On learning to shoot........ - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > On learning to shoot........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-09-2013, 04:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1424

A buck gets me a couple of hundred small index cards at the dollar store. They have larger index cards too. Also small & large paper plates. Another buck gets me a whole bunch of small round colored stickers.

Jagermeister Likes This 
Old 03-09-2013, 06:42 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgoertz View Post
Exactly like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
A buck gets me a couple of hundred small index cards at the dollar store. They have larger index cards too. Also small & large paper plates. Another buck gets me a whole bunch of small round colored stickers.
I could agree with that, but I shoot at an indoor range and even though I am a decent shot, I'd rather not hit the target system hanger or guideline and spend $50 to have it repaired. But I do sometimes take those little colored stickers and make them may target in a corner of the paper. I just recently bought 150 or so targets from DVOR. 100 of the 100 yard official target, and 50 of the Birchwood-Casey 6 inch stickies

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 03-09-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Small paper plates. They are cheap and the right size to place in vital areas of the body. One for the head, one for the heart cavity and one in the pelvic area to include the lower backbone. Student should start no further than 10-15 feet to learn control and skills.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:59 AM   #14

Liked 418 Times on 227 Posts
Likes Given: 31

I learnt to shoot when I was a kid with a Russian Baikel air rifle .177. I went through at least 5-6 mainsprings and God knows how many pellets and how many of mum's clothes pegs at ranges around 10-15yds.

I got that good that I was starting to have a crack at the cabbage butterflys and was starting to mount a reasonable tally on them although the dad's cabbages were starting to look a bit ordinary.
I then started hooking into the local Starling and Sparrow populations with great gusto and in 1 year shot something like 400 Starlings and Sparrows.

After a few years dad bought me a BSA Meteor Super .177 air rifle and that really started to wreak havoc with the local Sparrows and Starlings plus I then started to learn how to sneak up on rabbits and head shoot them.
Still got this air rifle and my son has now started to hook into the Sparrows as well.

After a few more years(was now 14) dad bought me a new Stirling(Squibman) .22 rimfire and that got me into the rabbits big time and
now I've got a heap of centrefires and rimfires.

Shooting at things like bottle caps and tin cans is one of the best ways to teach a kid trigger control and breathing plus a few 100 rounds of .22 ammo to help them on their way,regards

The ability to think and speak doesn't necessarily guarantee intelligence

Old 03-09-2013, 08:30 AM   #15

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I print targets from online, then copy them at the store for nine cents a target. I could have one target on the page of 12 depending on what I'm shooting with and what my goal is. (timed handgun drills/long distance rifle)

Old 03-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #16

Liked 1880 Times on 972 Posts
Likes Given: 1424

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneralPatton View Post
. . but I shoot at an indoor range . .
I shoot at an indoor range too, but it's just a small club. We have a wall of Homasote that gets replaced every now and then. I didn't think of hangers.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:10 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
Exactly! That is the way to go.

Old 03-09-2013, 12:42 PM   #18

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Sure,aim small miss small.........but I've never seen a "target dot" on a live Deer?

So,if you are using ANY point of reference(target dot,paint blob,etc)in training for hunting....then you are leaving something on the table.Aim small,miss small is a notion that you can blank out the "whole" and focus on a "spot" that ain't marked.

Very deep subject to be sure.....LOT's of ideas and theory's over the ions of time we have been shooting,"stuff".One of my alltime favs is something that's consider'd very normal in shooting traditional archery tackle(no sights,very similar to shotgun sports)...to the point of being VERY encouraged.We shoot at night,where the only thing being lit up....is the target.And sometimes not even that.And NO,this isn't poaching practice,haha.It builds "instinct".How do you think most "trick shooter's" shoot?You think they're getting a perfect sight picture everytime?

Old 03-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intheshop View Post
Sure,aim small miss small.........but I've never seen a "target dot" on a live Deer?

So,if you are using ANY point of reference(target dot,paint blob,etc)in training for hunting....then you are leaving something on the table.Aim small,miss small is a notion that you can blank out the "whole" and focus on a "spot" that ain't marked.

Very deep subject to be sure.....LOT's of ideas and theory's over the ions of time we have been shooting,"stuff".One of my alltime favs is something that's consider'd very normal in shooting traditional archery tackle(no sights,very similar to shotgun sports)...to the point of being VERY encouraged.We shoot at night,where the only thing being lit up....is the target.And sometimes not even that.And NO,this isn't poaching practice,haha.It builds "instinct".How do you think most "trick shooter's" shoot?You think they're getting a perfect sight picture everytime?
As I said it is good for students to learn control and basic skills. For hunting, I practice on a running boar, fox and rabbit targets. I had to be able to hit the heart chamber 3 out of 5 times at 100 meters as part of my hunting license exam. For shotgun I had to hit a running rabbit 6 out of 10 times. The running rabbit was actually a skeet clay target rolling and bouncing on the ground at the speed of a running rabbit. So, I was not even shooting at a life size rabbit.
Old 03-15-2013, 01:02 AM   #20

Liked 250 Times on 178 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Aiming at small targets is great. It still pays to mount that small target onto a large piece of paper so you can see your misses .
I'm a little tired of seeing humanoid targets everywhere anyway. Sometimes its about bullseyes, precision, accurate guns, discipline, long range and cameraderie . It isn't always about combat accuracy, a fast draw and hitting somewhere in the "5 point" zone .

Don't forget to visit Ruger's Web site to contact your legislators . If you already have, follow up with them every week. Keep the pressure on !

Last edited by Rentacop; 03-15-2013 at 01:05 AM.