On learning to shoot........
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > On learning to shoot........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-08-2013, 09:41 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default On learning to shoot........

I've come to the conclusion most folks aren't better shots because they pick very large targets to shoot at. I see many novices pick the large silhouette and continue to practice with that.

When I got my first .22 Rifle as a youngster, my targets were Prince Albert tobacco cans salvaged from the trash pile. The white oval made a pretty good bullseye, in my opinion.

Then one day my uncle saw me shooting at these and chided me for using such a large target. He turned the cans edgeways to me to present a smaller target. Later it was burnt matchsticks stuck up in a log. Then trying to strike a match with a bullet. I got to be pretty good with that Marlin .22, simply because the smaller targets made me concentrate more on the basics of markmanship.

When I finally got my .45 New Service (At the sum of $32.95) I went back to Prince Albert cans turned edgewise. Never struck a match with my .45, but I became a reasonably good shot with a handgun.

Maybe ya'll might try my method?

Bob Wright

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-08-2013, 10:29 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Aim small, miss small.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
People Like This 
Old 03-08-2013, 10:44 PM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

I am new to guns and my instructor said the same thing.. Do not buy the huge human target and shoot all over the place with lots of rounds (as many other guys do at my range). He said choose a small target, aim small, miss small I am trying to follow his instructions.. This is great fun!

Old 03-08-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6935 Times on 3487 Posts
Likes Given: 7538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Wright View Post
I've come to the conclusion most folks aren't better shots because they pick very large targets to shoot at. I see many novices pick the large silhouette and continue to practice with that.

When I got my first .22 Rifle as a youngster, my targets were Prince Albert tobacco cans salvaged from the trash pile. The white oval made a pretty good bullseye, in my opinion.

Then one day my uncle saw me shooting at these and chided me for using such a large target. He turned the cans edgeways to me to present a smaller target. Later it was burnt matchsticks stuck up in a log. Then trying to strike a match with a bullet. I got to be pretty good with that Marlin .22, simply because the smaller targets made me concentrate more on the basics of markmanship.

When I finally got my .45 New Service (At the sum of $32.95) I went back to Prince Albert cans turned edgewise. Never struck a match with my .45, but I became a reasonably good shot with a handgun.

Maybe ya'll might try my method?

Bob Wright
great advice Bob!

Old 03-09-2013, 01:56 AM   #5
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7813 Times on 4689 Posts
Likes Given: 9825

I have used all kinds of things as targets. But, as a novice shooter, I don't want to get discouraged. I like aiming for the bulls eye on a traditional target but I have also shot at knots in a rope tied between two trees, empty shot gun shells, etc. If you give a very new shooter the side of a snuff can to shoot at, it might be a lesson in aggravation making the sport unpleasant for that person. I agree, we should challenge ourselves as we progress. One has to crawl before one can run.

Old 03-09-2013, 02:29 AM   #6

I never got aggravated~just more determined!

Bob Wright

Old 03-09-2013, 02:32 AM   #7

The side of a snuff can? I don't ever remember seeing snuff sold in cans, it was always in those brown bottles.

Not until snuff became a "boy" thing did I ever see snuff in a can.

Bob Wright

Old 03-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #8
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 100 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 42

I get the large targets at the range, then stick a 6 inch splatter target on it before shooting. I add more 6 inch splatter stickies all over it for multiple clean targets. I guess I could do without it, but it's only a buck and it supports my local range, since my after membership dues I never spend a dime other than the occasional box of rounds.

A good plan executed today is better than a perfect plan executed at some indefinite point in the future.
- General George Patton Jr

Old 03-09-2013, 03:49 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 264 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 88

image-353710754.jpg  

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.

Old 03-09-2013, 03:51 AM   #10
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 264 Times on 174 Posts
Likes Given: 88

I get them out of the trash.

May the Force be with you.
An armed society is a polite society - Robert Heinlein
A Gun-Free-Zone is nothing more than a hunting preserve for wackos.