Lasers - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Lasers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-27-2009, 11:11 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
JD you know any civilian can have an M4, I keep it in the safe next to the 240 Bravo and the Ma-Duece...
*drools - gets down on knees, erects alter to NGIB and his greatness*

And a 240 Bravo?!?! Sweet Baby Jesus Man!! The pictures!! The pictures!!

Old 09-28-2009, 01:14 AM   #22

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Default Good for its purposes

I've got lasers on both my handguns. Funny thing is, I spend 99% of my range time working to ignore the dot and use my sights. I want to first--automatically--think front sight front sight front sight. But in those rare times I might need to aim without access to those sights, I want to have that option. Say, around a corner I can see through like a window. Say, I can't raise my hand, but can look at a laser point. Say, I don't want to extend my arms for some reason.

As long as we train ourselves not to rely on the dot, having it is great peace of mind.

Here's my problem: I don't close my left eye when I shoot, so my brain still "sees" the dot through my left eye. My right eye doesn't see the dot, because the dot lives just beyond the white dot of the front site (do you know what I mean by this?). But the dot my left eye is seeing appears to be lower and far to the left of my point of aim. VERY annoying.

But this can be trained away.

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 09-28-2009, 11:29 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by layton View Post
I use the laser most just for practicing point shoot exercises, to me that give an quick aim point when point shooting, and with practice, you get in the habit of it going automatically to where you are looking.

Dont know if I explained it right or not, but to me it is a good training tool when doing dry fire exercises.

Layton

This is the only condition under which I use a laser also. I find it's too cumbersome for regular use, and has other disadvantages covered elsewhere in the thread. However, I do find it helpful for point shooting practice, and of course just for the fun of it....

Gun Control: Use Both Hands....

Old 09-30-2009, 06:16 AM   #24

Liked 32 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 115

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHLChris View Post
... I want to first--automatically--think front sight front sight front sight. But in those rare times I might need to aim without access to those sights, I want to have that option. Say, around a corner I can see through like a window. Say, I can't raise my hand, but can look at a laser point. Say, I don't want to extend my arms for some reason.

As long as we train ourselves not to rely on the dot, having it is great peace of mind...
That pretty much sums it up for me. It's not a matter of having to use a laser just because it's there, it's simply good to know it IS there for that one time when I might need it.

Old 10-01-2009, 02:47 AM   #25

Liked 190 Times on 129 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
That pretty much sums it up for me. It's not a matter of having to use a laser just because it's there, it's simply good to know it IS there for that one time when I might need it.
Yeah, and $200+ for the pleasure!

2 Chron. 7:14 Christians must seek His face

Old 10-01-2009, 05:24 PM   #26

the new green lasers on the market are BRIGHT. With the lights off they'll light up a room easily. That alone would make them useful in a defensive situation.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:41 PM   #27

I shoot much better without the laser in most situations. Chasing the dot around the target when you have time to sight will drive you crazy. The one scenario where it gives an advantage, IMO, is when you're trying to get off a quick round (or two), or a fast second round. You don't need to spend the extra 1/4 or 1/2 second sighting the target - you just lay the laser mid-torso and fire. I can get a round on target pretty consistantly that way, even from a reasonable distance (15 yards +), and much faster than without the laser. I'm sure there are much better/more experienced shooters than me on this sight who can perform the above just as well without the laser. But it works for me.