Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Lasers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-26-2009, 12:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
I really don't see a need for it personally. Lasers are neat, but i find it not practical for the average person. I personally don't think you need one on a self defense pistol. Reason being, more than likely your firefight will be exchanged at close range. You will probably not be concerned about putting a red dot on someone at the heat of the moment but rather shoot instinctively, which should be acquired by practice. I think it is dangerous in some cases since some people undoubetly will not practice with their gun placing to much faith on the laser. Personally I find it distracting to look at. Gives you almost a forced tunnel vision. When this should not be the case in a real situation.
OK I have to elaborate a little more on this. I think I mispoke myself. I don't want people to think that lasers are utterly useless and bash it. I actually have a crimson on my snub. I actually use it quite a bit but not in a real defensive shooting situation. I was trying to convey this in the earlier post above, but failed to do so correctly. As I stated before lasers are too distracting for me. With that said, the laser has been a real valuable tool. I use the laser for point shooting practice and muscle memory. I point the gun at waist level and see if I am pointing at my target with the laser. Also I use it for trigger practice. I turn on the laser and see how much my dot jumps or which direction it moves and adjust my pull accordingly.

wisdom comes with time and time is never ending

Old 09-26-2009, 02:05 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadrooning View Post
OK I have to elaborate a little more on this. I think I mispoke myself. I don't want people to think that lasers are utterly useless and bash it. I actually have a crimson on my snub. I actually use it quite a bit but not in a real defensive shooting situation. I was trying to convey this in the earlier post above, but failed to do so correctly. As I stated before lasers are too distracting for me. With that said, the laser has been a real valuable tool. I use the laser for point shooting practice and muscle memory. I point the gun at waist level and see if I am pointing at my target with the laser. Also I use it for trigger practice. I turn on the laser and see how much my dot jumps or which direction it moves and adjust my pull accordingly.
Those are some good training exercises where a laser is quite useful.

Too distracting for me. I tried my friends 642 w/ a crimson, and I found I was concentrating too much on where that little dot was jumping around to.

Old 09-26-2009, 02:42 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
Those are some good training exercises where a laser is quite useful.

Too distracting for me. I tried my friends 642 w/ a crimson, and I found I was concentrating too much on where that little dot was jumping around to.
Agreed. Once you're familiar with your pistol, you don't really need alot of accessories like a laser. I rely on my trigger pull, and my reset after i fire. Enough practice, and you don't need a laser to tell you where the round is going. My carry weapon is a glock29, and with enough practice, even a 10mm can nail close double taps.

Old 09-27-2009, 05:09 AM   #14
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I am in the minority on this but a laser is a great tool for point and shoot. I have a personal issue with my rounds hitting where expected so point and shoot isn't an option with out a laser sight. I have shot for years and have some decent training, still will bring at least my front sight on target before I pull the trigger. Having that green or red dot on target lets me shoot with out the need to bring the pistol to eye level. I know there are many that can point and shoot with out ever seeing a sight, I will never be one simply because I'm not willing to accept an erant shot.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." ~ Thomas Jefferson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
If you're really bored, I'm your huckleberry. If you really want a challenge, I'm the one.

If you're really smart, you'll just peddle your paint.

Old 09-27-2009, 08:38 PM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just call me old fashioned . I see no use for them .

Any gun owner that voted for obama is a gun owner I don't trust with a gun !

Old 09-27-2009, 08:42 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanG23 View Post
I don't like lasers on pistols.

I think they would be better on rifles, if anything.
Why?

10 characters

Old 09-27-2009, 08:45 PM   #17

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Why?

10 characters

I have no idea either. What rifle would you put a laser on? Maybe an M4, if you were going to be assaulting a dry ice warehouse or something...

Old 09-27-2009, 09:48 PM   #18

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post

I have no idea either. What rifle would you put a laser on? Maybe an M4, if you were going to be assaulting a dry ice warehouse or something...
I assault dry ice warehouses quite often with my laser equipped M4; however, I generally use a half-dozen flash-bangs first to soften up the area...

Old 09-27-2009, 09:50 PM   #19

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
I assault dry ice warehouses quite often with my laser equipped M4; however, I generally use a half-dozen flash-bangs first to soften up the area...
You have an M4?!?!? *drooling* You're so awesome!!

Old 09-27-2009, 10:09 PM   #20

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
You have an M4?!?!? *drooling* You're so awesome!!
JD you know any civilian can have an M4, I keep it in the safe next to the 240 Bravo and the Ma-Duece...