Lasers
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Lasers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2009, 07:48 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Default Lasers

What do the good members of this forum think about lasers on pistols?

Personally, I like them and I would want them on my home defense pistol for sure.

My uncle is pretty old fashioned about it. He doesn't want anything battery operated on his pistols.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-20-2009, 08:36 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I have used them, and I don't like them. Lasers aren't really good in bright light. And in low light, or darkness, lasers point two ways.

That gives away your advantage.

And someone will stop by and say, "but it's only on when I want it to be on, when I press the button".

Well, great. And if you miss? Or if you don't finish the target with your first volley?

Maybe it's a mute point, or maybe it's just me.

They are a lot of money. Money that could be spent elsewhere. Just my $0.02. YMMV.

JD

Old 09-20-2009, 08:44 PM   #3

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

I can't shoot for spit with a laser. That little red dot jumps around and ends up giving me a headache. I did put one on my wife's gun as she likes it and I like it quiet in the house...

Old 09-20-2009, 09:07 PM   #4

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Lasers and pointers, rifles mainly, helpful especially if I am sniping zombies at night. Use lasers for point on target practice for dry fire target exercises, not dependent on them with my carry weapons or live shooting. Wife has a crimson Trace laser grip on her Smith 638 for boogerbears. She likes it.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-20-2009, 09:23 PM   #5

I really don't see a need for it personally. Lasers are neat, but i find it not practical for the average person. I personally don't think you need one on a self defense pistol. Reason being, more than likely your firefight will be exchanged at close range. You will probably not be concerned about putting a red dot on someone at the heat of the moment but rather shoot instinctively, which should be acquired by practice. I think it is dangerous in some cases since some people undoubetly will not practice with their gun placing to much faith on the laser. Personally I find it distracting to look at. Gives you almost a forced tunnel vision. When this should not be the case in a real situation.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:43 AM   #6

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I use the laser most just for practicing point shoot exercises, to me that give an quick aim point when point shooting, and with practice, you get in the habit of it going automatically to where you are looking.

Dont know if I explained it right or not, but to me it is a good training tool when doing dry fire exercises.

Layton

Old 09-21-2009, 12:45 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I bought my wife a revolver with a laser thinking it would help her find the target faster and be good for home defense when I'm out of town. WRONG! She was faster and shot better without the laser and I did too. You spend too much time trying to find the dot rather then just knowing where your weapon is pointed. I personally see no benefit to a laser on a pistol and prefer practice and muscle memory. I will practice point shooting rather then looking for a little red dot.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 09-21-2009, 02:04 PM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
I have used them, and I don't like them. Lasers aren't really good in bright light. And in low light, or darkness, lasers point two ways.

That gives away your advantage.

And someone will stop by and say, "but it's only on when I want it to be on, when I press the button".

Well, great. And if you miss? Or if you don't finish the target with your first volley?

Maybe it's a mute point, or maybe it's just me.

They are a lot of money. Money that could be spent elsewhere. Just my $0.02. YMMV.

JD
Quote:
Originally Posted by spittinfire View Post
I bought my wife a revolver with a laser thinking it would help her find the target faster and be good for home defense when I'm out of town. WRONG! She was faster and shot better without the laser and I did too. You spend too much time trying to find the dot rather then just knowing where your weapon is pointed. I personally see no benefit to a laser on a pistol and prefer practice and muscle memory. I will practice point shooting rather then looking for a little red dot.
Took the words right out of my mouth. There is no practical use for a laser.

A light would be a better investment.

Old 09-26-2009, 05:15 AM   #9

Default Really?

I'm surprised at the dislike of lasers given the rate at which they are being sold. Many people must value having at least the option of activating a laser when either their uncorrected vision or the tactical situation doesn't permit full use of traditional sights.

Old 09-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #10

Liked 23 Times on 7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Tom View Post
I'm surprised at the dislike of lasers given the rate at which they are being sold. Many people must value having at least the option of activating a laser when either their uncorrected vision or the tactical situation doesn't permit full use of traditional sights.
Just because a product is sold doesn't mean it's necessary or good. Heck, pistol bayonets are sold as well. Some folks like lasers, many don't - as with everything else it's a personal choice...