Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Handguns > General Handgun Discussion > Lanyards?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2009, 04:14 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

Default Lanyards?

A couple of my pistols (full size service pistols) have lanyard loops at the bottom of the butt. Has anybody but the British guy on The Rat Patrol ever used a lanyard on a pistol? Where would you attach it? Around your neck? To your wrist? If you should happen to drop your weapon, do you really want a cocked and unlocked pistol dangling from a string on your neck? I know I've read a couple of opinions that "every fighting handgun should have a lanyard loop" but I just don't get it. Elucidation please.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-19-2009, 05:19 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

You would attach the lanyard to your belt, behind your holster, as shown in the picture. IMHO this is really more of a military or outdoorsman type accessory, where if you drop and lose your gun you aren't going to have the opportunity to withdraw from your environment (battlefield, backwoods, etc) or replace the firearm quickly.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill

Old 03-22-2009, 02:33 AM   #3

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

We used DUMMIE CORDS all the time in the military. They put them on there so the dam officers would stop losing their pistols all the time.

Old 03-22-2009, 02:55 AM   #4

Liked 1413 Times on 807 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
We used DUMMIE CORDS all the time in the military. They put them on there so the dam officers would stop losing their pistols all the time.
We called them "idiot mittens".

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello